Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 40 easy [ Uk & ROI ]
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 40 easy [ Uk & ROI ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Navigon 40 easy [ Uk & ROI ] Reply with quote

Dear all,

I am looking to buy the Navigon 40 Easy GPS Device.I have been browsing the Navigon forum to get as much information about this device before making a purchase. The key thing that would swing it for me is whether PGPSW camera database can be used on this device.

There has been a mention of POI Warner which needs to be installed before
being able to use the PGPSW camera database . However the Navigon 4000 series already has POI Warner installed [ possibly their own version ]. Does this mean that the camera database can be downloaded directly to the device.

Your help is appreciated
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffdaddy - you may find the user manual useful
Quote:
http://www.navigon.com/portal/common/Download/Manual/PNA/NAVIGON40/English_manual.pdf
Basically you can load in your own POIs (but you are limited to 10,000 so you can't load the whole PGPSW database) and appropriate map display symbols. You can NOT, as far as I know, set warnings (there's a big fuss in the TomTom camp about this, because they are REDUCING their facility to this, whereas Navigon are IMPROVING theirs to the same point but from nothing!). So I THINK you will be able to see the cameras when they are near, but you won't hear any warnings.

So if you want the whole database and proper audible warnings, which can be set by distance, I think you WILL still need to buy (Version 4) of POIWarner from navigating.de (as you say, it's a different software set-up from the one installed on the Navigon unit, though according to Darren it's from the same company). The problem here is that it's not likely to be available in the UK till late in the year.

As far as I know this applies to whatever new series Navigon you buy.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Navigon 40 easy [ Uk & ROI ] Reply with quote

David,

Thank you for your response. I was unable to open the hyperlink you sent.I tried typing it into google but it came up with an error.

I know that this device already has speedcams loaded for every fixed camera in UK & ROI and it gives audible alerts i.e" In 250 yards beware traffic control". It does not give proper audible warnings [like a buzzing sound] which my navman used to give.

If I buy / load only PGPSW mobile cameras as an example, will they work on the device.

I still have a myguide 3100 Satnav which allows you to load POI,s including, simply speedcams by entering their co-ordinates. Will Navigon devices allow you to do this?

Thanks
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny - I've just copied back the link from this page and it works fine in Firefox. Surprised Try just copying it into the website address line at the top of your browser page and pressing return.

You should certainly be able to load PGPSW data on to the device. May or may not need reformatting - check the manual (once you've managed to load it!) and compare the field description/order with the PGPSW .csv file format. The fields include lat/long coords. The same goes for any other POIs you might want to load.

And, yes, if you produce your own POIs in the correct .csv format using a speadsheet or text editor, say, you should be able to load them too.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Navigon 40 easy [ Uk & ROI ] Reply with quote

David,

Is there a chance I can have a step by step guide of how to download the PGPSW speedcams onto the device.

Thanks

Abi[/b]
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got one of these new series devices yet (having to wait till September if my fingernails last that long). On my current Navigon the (tortuous) process is completely different - you really DON'T want to know about that! So you can't trust what I say completely (not that anyone sensible does Rolling Eyes ).

However, I have looked at one of the PGPSW .csv files (Download format = "Other - CSV" and the format seems fine, compared with the Navigon 40 manual. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether Navigon insist on 4 fields in the record (Long, Lat, Name, Description), even if Description is not used, as it isn't in the camera files. (If it did then a text editor will soon add a comma at the end of each entry). BUT I'd be very hopeful that it would work straight-off.

So the steps should be very simple: roughly,

- download the PGPSW cameras you want to your PC using the "Other - CSV" format (you'll get the icons as well);

- unzip the cameras and icons into a PC folder of your choice;

- connect the 40 (or just the card) to the PC, so that you can see the Navigon's files/folders;

- copy your downloaded camera/icon files from your PC download folder into the "Navigon\MyPOIs" folder;

- disconnect satnav/card from PC and restart the unit. Your cameras should now be there!

See the guidance in section 8.2 of the Navigon manual for more detailed info. BTW, If you still haven't been able to download it from my link, go to the Navigon UK website and click on the "Customer Services" tab. Then click on "Handbooks for NAVIGON PNA's" near top/right of the page, and you'll get a download list of all the manuals.

Obviously, if you DO ever get any problems, there should be help available here! Good Luck Smile
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Navigon 40 easy [ Uk & ROI ] Reply with quote

David,

Thanks for the step by step guide.

To be on the safe side, I will be looking to download the camera database to the SD Card and not onto the device directly.

I just need to understand the following

How do I set up a folder / directory on the card and what would I call it?

What else would I need to save on the SD Card for it to be recognised by the unit?

If I load the camera database onto the SD Card, will the device be able to use it?

Will I be able to use the whole database if used from the SD Card?

Can I assume that with the SD Card in the device, I will have access to PGPSW cameras, and with the card out, the unit will work normally using just the databse already installd on the unit.

I am a novice at this hence the questions

Thanks
Abi
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would use the card that comes with the satnav, so it is known to the satnav anyway.

When connected to the PC you will get the option to open it 'showing files & folders' (in Windows that is). They will then just be displayed in the normal windows file structure. There should be one called "MyPOIs" in the 'Navigon' folder where you put your camera info - if there isn't, then create one.

It will run from the card - if it's like the other units, the card holds the satnav operating system anyway, so the unit won't run (except possibly in Demo mode) when the card is removed.

You can't load the whole of the PGPSW files as there are ~11,500 UK cameras, but the Navigon's limit is 10,000 (I'm sure this is a SYSTEM limit, not a SPACE limit).

Before you do any of this do a BACKUP of your Navigon system (using the BACKUP & RESTORE option in the Navigon Fresh utility) in case things go wrong (they shouldn't obviously, but it's HIGHLY recommended practice). Then, if you wanted a spare copy of your satnav card as well, you can (again if it hasn't changed!) make one by using the RESTORE function.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Navigon 40 easy [ Uk & ROI ] Reply with quote

Thank you David,

Its been a pleasure.

Abi
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Navigon 40 easy [ Uk & ROI ] Reply with quote

Buffdaddy wrote:
Thank you David,

Its been a pleasure.

Abi

To import the files you would use Navigon Fresh program or manually create a folder on the internal drive as a subfolder of navigon called mypois.
The number that can be imported can be increased, but the limit is designed to keep best performance of the device so increasing it is done at the users own risk of slowing the device Smile
It's very easy to import them, they don't give an audio alert (you need poiwarner for that) generic ASC / Garmin type files work well and when imported they display on the map like all other icons.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:

As far as I know this applies to whatever new series Navigon you buy.

The device needs to be running Navigon 7.6 or above Smile Only the newer models officially run 7.6.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Abi, and welcome to the bright world of Navigon !Joker
Quote:
generic ASC / Garmin type files work well

Was that a slip of the keyboard, jonandmarkuk? Cool From the manual I thought Navigon's 'native' format on the new series was CSV (or maybe the formats are more similar than I assumed?).

Glad to hear that the 10K limit is 'advisory'. Means I might be able to load my CAMRA POIs in full after all Cheers!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Cheers, Abi, and welcome to the bright world of Navigon !Joker
Quote:
generic ASC / Garmin type files work well

Was that a slip of the keyboard, jonandmarkuk? Cool From the manual I thought Navigon's 'native' format on the new series was CSV (or maybe the formats are more similar than I assumed?).

Glad to hear that the 10K limit is 'advisory'. Means I might be able to load my CAMRA POIs in full after all Cheers!

Not at all, seems happy with most CSV ASV formats. Many are actually generic format's. TomTom is about the only one which is specific to tomtom, most are variations of CSV files.

PS... I know how to increase the limit, but as mentioned Navigon wouldn't support it if the device runs slowly / crashes.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Navigon 40 easy [ Uk & ROI ] Reply with quote

Dear all,

I have finally picked up my Navigon. Now I need some help

The maps are loaded in the internal memory and not on a memory card as previously thought.

The device has a slot for a micro SD Card which I have purchased.

What I need to do is back up my files as the device does not come with maps on a cd rom.I hear satnavs don,t come with maps on CD rom as they used to.Is this true or am I being lied to?

I am therefore back to my questions in a previous post.

Is it possible to run the device from the SD Card if all the information on the device is backed up on it[i.e will the Navigon boot from the SD Card if inserted?

If I load the whole camera database onto the SD Card, will the device be able to use it?

Will I be able to use the whole speedcam database if used from the SD Card?

Can I assume that with the SD Card in the device, I will have access to PGPSW cameras, and with the card out, the unit will work normally using just the databse already installed on the unit.

Any advice will be appreciated
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigon 40 easy [ Uk & ROI ] Reply with quote

Buffdaddy wrote:
Dear all,

I have finally picked up my Navigon. Now I need some help

The maps are loaded in the internal memory and not on a memory card as previously thought.

The device has a slot for a micro SD Card which I have purchased.

What I need to do is back up my files as the device does not come with maps on a cd rom.I hear satnavs don,t come with maps on CD rom as they used to.Is this true or am I being lied to?

You don't get maps on a CD anymore, everything is designed to run from the internal memory. Download Navigon fresh or run the PC setup file from the internal drive of Navigon. This allows you to register the device and also backup the files and download map updates (paid for)

I am therefore back to my questions in a previous post.

Is it possible to run the device from the SD Card if all the information on the device is backed up on it[i.e will the Navigon boot from the SD Card if inserted?

best to leave it as it is

If I load the whole camera database onto the SD Card, will the device be able to use it?

create a folder called 'navigon' and the a sub folder of 'mypois'

Will I be able to use the whole speedcam database if used from the SD Card?

[b] no difference, I would recommend maybe loading the mobile cameras and using the built in fixed camera alerts

Can I assume that with the SD Card in the device, I will have access to PGPSW cameras, and with the card out, the unit will work normally using just the databse already installed on the unit.

yes the SD card isn't really required, it's only needed if you want to add more maps which go over the internal capacity. think most have 1 or 2gb internal memory.

Any advice will be appreciated
[/b]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: