Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trucker's SatNav Blamed for 10 Hour Road Closure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trucker's SatNav Blamed for 10 Hour Road Closure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well done for proving ,yet again, that truck drivers do as they please when they want irrespective of the laws relating to driving,

Let's keep this post friendly.

Quote:
Pull out on drives yes- but I only do it when the car can go in lane 3 but the car refuses to move over because he thinks lane 2 is his lane.

Providing the trucker indicates his intention where's the problem with that Andy_d?

Not ALL truck drivers, SOME truck drivers, if it was ALL there would be continuous rolling road blocks. Imagine the number of trucks you pass on e.g. a journey the length of the M6 and then count the number of times one pulls out on you without gving adequate warning or the number of rolling road blocks. Very small percentage, probably well less than 1%.

If I see a trucker coming down a ramp onto the motorway I'll always get into lane 2. If I'm in lane 2 and I observe truck in lane 1 indicating, and am able to get into 3 I will or even 'flash' him out.

It's the odd one who appears to wait until you are almost level with the back of his truck until his inndicator flashes once and he pulls into 2, they are the ones who annoy me, especially when the road is fairly quiet and there's no one else behind me. So I would say 'Indicate earlier to give me a chance to take necessary action, or wait a few more seconds until I have passed. Not difficult.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another observation from LP.

Have you noticed how when travelling along a motorway at 70 mph you see another vehicle in the distance, let's say a truck travelling at 52/56 mph, and it seems to take ages to catch him up but look in your rear view mirror when you've passed and he seems to disappear in the distance at a faster rate than you were catching him up?

The opposite is when I'm driving at 60mph in lane 1 and getting ready to overtake a slower moving vehicle, I notice a car appearing in lane 2 and decide to let him pass before pulling out, but he seems to be taking ages to catch me up, until he goes by and disappears in the distance.

What makes it worse is when he gets alongside he slows up.
jowett69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_d wrote:
jowett69 wrote:
but I only do it when the car can go in lane 3 but the car refuses to move over because he thinks lane 2 is his lane.

You sir should have your driving licence removed from you.
you pull out onto cars Knowingly and deliberatly, That is "without due care and attention"
and you wonder Why truckers have the Well deserved and earnt reputation of being Very bad inconsierate drivers.

well done for proving ,yet again, that truck drivers do as they please when they want irrespective of the laws relating to driving,

Rolling Eyes lets re-write this..when I pull I ALWAYS make SURE that the lane is safe to move, OK. But sometimes the car driver WILL NOT do anything but continue to drive right up to my bumper!! when even when he as plenty of time to move.. they rather hog the middle lane.
AND BEFORE you start pointing fingers look at your own driving and put your hand on your heart and say" I am the perfect driver"

And before you start again I been driving for 20years on lorries and never crashed or careless driving. I see more stupid car drivers then lorries driver.

still enjoying my coffee but at this rate beer next
jowett69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Another observation from LP.

Have you noticed how when travelling along a motorway at 70 mph you see another vehicle in the distance, let's say a truck travelling at 52/56 mph, and it seems to take ages to catch him up but look in your rear view mirror when you've passed and he seems to disappear in the distance at a faster rate than you were catching him up?

The opposite is when I'm driving at 60mph in lane 1 and getting ready to overtake a slower moving vehicle, I notice a car appearing in lane 2 and decide to let him pass before pulling out, but he seems to be taking ages to catch me up, until he goes by and disappears in the distance.

What makes it worse is when he gets alongside he slows up.

What I have notice alot now, is when you start to pass a vehicle(lorry or car) they start to go faster, and wont let you pass. Car drivers are the worse for, I dont know why they do it, you catch them up, start to pass then they look at you like you dog poo the drive faster, the slow down again. then its starts again..then if you stop behind them they slow right down!!!

am sure this topic was about sat nav's ?
jimtech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: This is fascinating! Reply with quote

This is a very interesting discussion.
Yes, the original lorry driver was wrong, he shouldn't take his sat-nav as an authority, common sense should prevail.

Jowett69 wrote:
lets re-write this..when I pull I ALWAYS make SURE that the lane is safe to move, OK. But sometimes the car driver WILL NOT do anything but continue to drive right up to my bumper!! when even when he as plenty of time to move.. they rather hog the middle lane.

I will always pull over to the third lane, or flash for a lorry driver, if I can, as I appreciate that if he has to slow down for slower traffic in front of him, it can take quite some time and effort for him to regain the lost speed, whereas my car can get back up to 70+ (or whatever) in seconds. Very Happy
What that lorry is carrying/delivering might even be intended for me, so why should I delay it unnecessarily?

Re: the 2nd lane drivers mentioned above; what's with them? Confused They sit in that lane regardless of traffic, causing queues of faster traffic in the third lane, and hindering lorries etc in the first lane! Pillocks! I heard that the police refer to them as "Centre Lane Owner Drivers" - CLODS! Laughing
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
am sure this topic was about sat nav's ?

Even with my sat nav in the car I still get problems with other drivers. Razz

Quote:
What I have notice alot now, is when you start to pass a vehicle(lorry or car) they start to go faster, and wont let you pass. Car drivers are the worse for, I dont know why they do it, you catch them up, start to pass then they look at you like you dog poo the drive faster, the slow down again. then its starts again..then if you stop behind them they slow right down!!!

Tell me about it. Let's not forget those who overtake in lane 3 and pull in front of you to let the faster driver behind overtake, then they slow down. You wait your time, go to overtake and they speed up. Must be far harder for truckers dealing with idiots like that.

Quote:
Re: the 2nd lane drivers mentioned above; what's with them?

2nd lane! What about the 4th lane? A couple of weeks back I was driving over the M2 Medway Bridge towards the coast doing a nice 70 mph, hardly any traffic about, going up the hill I noticed a car in lane 4, 1 to 3 were all clear. I slowed and found he was doing 50 mph. I stayed in lane 1 and increased my speed to go past. What do I get? Flashing headlights from him. As I passed the Chatham turn off I looked in my mirrors and noticed he was still out there.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it too much to hope that the Mods can keep a discussion about a news item on the Home page on topic? This thread started about a lorry driver getting stuck in a Somerset lane.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
Is it too much to hope that the Mods can keep a discussion about a news item on the Home page on topic?
Yes. Why should they Question How are we supposed to reply to this topic to keep it ' on-topic' Question It happened, the driver was a t***er, what else is there to say?

Everyone is giving their comments on driving behaviour, and if you don't find it intersting/amusing, then don't read the thread.

Having said that, I agree that the original post has now been well played out, but one could ask why on earth it was posted in the first place? It was in the papers, so why repeat it here? Other than as an introduction to a thread that is bound to raise people's blood pressure and cause them to sound off about driving behaviour in general? Which is exactly what has, and always will, happened Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
Is it too much to hope that the Mods can keep a discussion about a news item on the Home page on topic? This thread started about a lorry driver getting stuck in a Somerset lane.

If you read the first page of this topic, you will find that the move away from original topic started at about the sixth post! The 12th post by richard345 suggested mods lock the thread - here's an extract from my response in the 13th post
DennisN wrote:
..........I don't lock threads belonging to Staff members, but I suggest everybody backs off a bit - there are two sides to most stories..........
I would also suggest that the theme of driver behaviour is rather central to the topic - "Driver blames Satnav, Satnav geeks blame driver" and away we go, enjoy the ride. Frankly, anybody who treats all posts (including mine) in this topic as utterly serious needs to get a life!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. The Red Tops all like a good story about the indecisive sad little geeks, who have no mind of their own and need to be told what to do by a little machine. Unfortunately it reminds me of the time I was confronted by a locked security gate at Heathrow with my XL urging me to proceed....
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Unfortunately it reminds me of the time I was confronted by a locked security gate at Heathrow with my XL urging me to proceed....

Me too - at Farnborough airport on Thursday my satnavs ALL wanted me to wander around the runways to get home!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jowett69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too - at Farnborough airport on Thursday my satnavs ALL wanted me to wander around the runways to get home![/quote]

Lol you should done it, you would been famous Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Unfortunately it reminds me of the time I was confronted by a locked security gate at Heathrow with my XL urging me to proceed....

DennisN wrote:
Me too - at Farnborough airport on Thursday my satnavs ALL wanted me to wander around the runways to get home!

The above quotes do raise a very valid point, I fail to see why any roads inside the fence of an airport, airfield or military base are included on a GPS Sat Nav map, not only are they missleading they can lead to far more serious issues when someone simply follows the nav units instructions and ends up driving in areas restricted for aircraft only, this has happened.

There are instances where you enter a UK postcode and the nav unit trys to route you through a military/ restricted area instead of staying on public roads, OK you will get stopped from entering the fenced off base but I still don't understand why restricted areas are included on maps (TA are far worse for this than NT)

jowett69 wrote:
Lol you should done it, you would been famous Laughing

Famous or infamous for causing a major incident when an aircraft is trying to land, worse still possibly dead along with aircrew/ pax - Mike
jowett69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Famous or infamous for causing a major incident when an aircraft is trying to land, worse still possibly dead along with aircrew/ pax - Mike[/quote]

some people should get a grip on life and stop being so serious when replying, for starters you would not get through the gates without ram raiding them!

And being a Pocket GPS Moderator you should know better.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add up all the wrong routing or wrong/conflicting directions people get, isn't it about time the likes of TT etc started concentration more on getting the basics right before adding all the bells and whistles? Often a novelty that soon wears off.

I realise the mapping can't be 100% but I can do without being told to 'Do a 'U' turm when I'm travelling at 70mph up the motorway, or the voice saying 'Take the third exit' at a roundabout when the screen shows otherwise. Once I had 'Turn right', the screen showed the same but I noticed it was a 'No Entry'.

Having said that, my wife tried to do that to me back in 'paper map' days. Razz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: