Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trucker's SatNav Blamed for 10 Hour Road Closure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trucker's SatNav Blamed for 10 Hour Road Closure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On deliveries its all bout time.....and thats it, 5mins or 22 mins does make the diffence, its just a job like everyone else.
So some truckers see nothing wrong in a 'rolling road block' because 5 mins can make a difference. Tell that to the reps or likes of DennisN who have to keep to appointments but stuck behind one, probably several over longer distances.

How would the truckers feel if a car was being driven at 50mph in lane one with another car overtaking at 52mph? Maybe I should have said 'How DO they feel' because I've seen it happen and on a number of occasions been stuck behind that 'rolling road block'. I wouldn't allow some drivers to be in charge of a zimmer frame.

If delivery times are really that important and 4mph makes all the difference, why are some companies restricting their fleet to 52mph? Running costs obviously, so delivery times will suffer.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not it does make a difference and it makes tue difference of getting your delivery off ( because the sender has made you wait 2 hrs before loading you and still wants you there ontime or the haulier gets a fine )
It makes the difference between getting home or having to park 6 mins from your yard

Trucks are limited mos run at 54ish the 52 mph thing comes from super markets fuel league tables in truth rung a modern truck below 85kph or 54mph doesn't save that much fuel in most applications it will increase fuel usage
Modern tricks are also more fuel efficient the more time they stay on the limitedr so yes nocking 1 or2 mph off has massive implications on motorways there are 3 or for lanes most car drivers to be honest don't look further than there bonnet lett alone 1/2 smile to a mole upthe road

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Believe it or not it does make a difference and it makes tue difference of getting your delivery off
But it doesn't matter when the reps and 'white van man', who also have a timetable to keep to, or people on the way to airports or ferry terminals, are delayed by the inconsiderate 'rolling road blocks'.

We should folow the French, it works over there and would soon be accepted over here, especially when it's seen to work a treat.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I'm with the truckers here. Forget for a moment the alleged speed limiters, 56mph, 52mph or whatever (I simply don't believe it and overtook a "convoy" eastbound on M4 today doing a steady 66mph according to my satnav speed reading - I dream of the day when Jowett and/or Alix come clean and admit to doing it!!). The point is that delaying a truck is far more significant than delaying a car or whitevanman - for the truck to pick up speed again is a lot of hefty acceleration and guzzling fuel, even if you discount the stress and strain on the driver.

As for reps, whitevanmen and people going to airports and ferry terminals - don't set off so bloody late!! I refuse to drive over 70mph, point blank. I tell everybody I work for as a subcontract driver that I will NOT exceed the speed limits under any circumstances. People ask me for an ETA for a delivery and I always add at least an extra half hour and for motorway distances, work it out at average 50mph tops! I have a package on my desk right now for delivery in Southampton tomorrow by 9am. Autoroute says 70.1 miles, 1 hour 35 minutes. So should I set off at 7:25am? Not flaming likely!! I'm getting up and out as soon after 6am as I can drag myself out of bed - there will be traffic in Salisbury on the way through and can I expect to bowl along merrily in Southampton during the rush hour? And there will probably be lorries on the A36, which is a nightmare for overtaking. The answer is to set off in proper time, not get the other traffic off the road.

Driving would be easy if only all the traffic would stay off the roads!!!

There's only one person to blame if you're late - yourself. My philosophy is that I can't be too early, because I can always hide round the corner until my delivery time comes up. But 1 minute late is late, so I make sure I'm never late by setting off in plenty of time to get there before the due time. It's exactly the same as the idiots who try to drive at 30mph in a 30mph zone rather than at less than 30mph and are furious about speed cameras making them watch their speedos in case they accidentally, momentarily "stray" over the limit (plus tolerance, say over 35mph, up to 40mph Stop it! ).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's only one person to blame if you're late

Quote:
The answer is to set off in proper time

Quote:
Believe it or not it does make a difference and it makes tue difference of getting your delivery off ( because the sender has made you wait 2 hrs before loading you and still wants you there ontime or the haulier gets a fine )

I'm still trying to work out how someone makes up a 2 hour delay on a journey from, let's say, Dover to Birmingham, or maybe Birmingham to Edinburgh.

I said earlier I'm 99.9% with truckers but the 'rolling road block', which as far as I'm concerned, is driving without due consideration for other road users, should be a 'no, no'.

The ban on lorries overtaking on inclines in France coupled with no lorries on Sundays (except refridgerated ones I believe) makes it a pleasure to drive over there, especially on Sundays.

Then you get back home onto the M20.......
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dream of the day when Jowett and/or Alix come clean and admit to doing it!!

dennis the only time a modern u trucks hits those speeds is if the drivers are running down hill or the drivers have the limiter bypassed which is an offence

the only time my trucks have ever hit 60 is going down hill

becareful dennis your on shakey ground with the above comment

The ban on lorries overtaking on inclines in France coupled with no lorries on Sundays (except refridgerated ones I believe) makes it a pleasure to drive over there, especially on Sundays.

would work with the uk economy which geared to a 24hr 7 day a week infastructure asda etc would shut on saturday and sunday

rail isnt the answer either any more freight going on rails would start to impact passenger jorneys signifantly railfreight is running at close to 95% capacity at the moment , ive worked railfreight and they cant get it to run on time you still need a truck to move it to its final destination

lets take trafford park as an example it has good rail links a 3 yes 3 railfreight terminals one has closed and moved to wakefield ews(dbshenker) roadways is soon to close in a 3years could be earlier and that leaves freightliner which has all most a que of 2 miles of trucks on most days ive known maritime driver spend 8 hrs of there shift waiting for a rain to arrive

myself ive had a train come in 3 days late resulting in a truck stood for 1 day without work this is just my experience of doing the type of work many think is a good idea, its at capacity now and cant really cope with current levels of traffic

back to the OP the satnav isnt to blame at all its the driver he should of looked at where the farm was personally ill always ring the delivery point if its in the middle of nowhere

if anyone fancies a ride one day let me know it will open your eyes

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This argument can go on for ever, lets face it the trucker shout for truckers and the Car/small van drivers will shout for thier side, lets face face facts the truckers struggling overtaking truckers are a problem and also some car drivers can be pratts, the only answer is self discipline and respect for other road users, the truckers are no longer Knights of the Road and car/small van drivers standards are no longer as good as they used to be be, so whats the answer, self discipline not legislation but I dont know.

Last edited by aj2052 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
would work with the uk economy which geared to a 24hr 7 day a week infastructure asda etc would shut on saturday and sunday
I assume you mean wouldn't. Supermarkets and Hypermarkets don't close in France on Saturdays and Sundays.

Smaller shops also have to have deliveries and many close between 12:00 and 14:00.

The French transport businesses still survive.

As for the rest of your post I can't really disagree. However, how many more trucks would be on the road if Sheerness Steel, if it's still going, stopped running the trains? It wasn't unusual to see 50 wagons or more pulling out of the sidings on route to various destinations.

I must say I'm enjoying this, it would be even better if we were sat in a Pub with a nice ploughman's lunch and a pint. (Coke for me as I'm teetotal).

Edit because posted at same time but had to comment.
Quote:
drivers standards are no longer as good as they used to be be
Last Monday I was in a line of 'stop/start traffic' and a bloke was trying to come out of a side turning on the left. I let him out and the bloke behind me nearly blew a gasket, held on his horns for about 30 seconds or more. I pleased one and upset the other, I guess that makes it equal.

Last edited by Border_Collie on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im ok my tumbler of wine is at my side.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time there was a driver whose lorry got stuck in a lane in Somerset......
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
Once upon a time there was a driver whose lorry got stuck in a lane in Somerset......
am I getting a feeling of de ja vu here Very Happy
Fluff16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have this every week without fail in our Village here in France. There are signs at the bottom of the lane to say that no lorries over 6.5m allowed but still they come. There is a very sharp rh bend just after our house which they cannot navigate so have to reverse all the way back, normally this would be ok but there is only a road width between our house and the Mairie (Town Hall) facing so they have about 3 inches either side to negotiate. As I am typing this we have another one.
Fluff16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have this every week without fail in our Village here in France. There are signs at the bottom of the lane to say that no lorries over 6.5m allowed but still they come. There is a very sharp rh bend just after our house which they cannot navigate so have to reverse all the way back, normally this would be ok but there is only a road width between our house and the Mairie (Town Hall) facing so they have about 3 inches either side to negotiate. As I am typing this we have another one.
jowett69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dream of the day when Jowett and/or Alix come clean and admit to doing it!!

Lol clean about what, I only can drive at 52mph unless I go down a good hill then I got to watch my speed because my onboard computer is recording me!. Pull out on drives yes- but I only do it when the car can go in lane 3 but the car refuses to move over because he thinks lane 2 is his lane.

Yes and the sat nav thing we was on about Rolling Eyes yes it is the drivers fauilt he SHOULD HAVE CHECKED.

and that thing about france... we are worked harder and longer hours in this country than france . most lorry companys work 24/7. In my eyes there should be no lorries on roads at weekends, but monday morning would be good....your cars would complain !! Wink

having a coffee and loving this
Andy_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jowett69 wrote:
but I only do it when the car can go in lane 3 but the car refuses to move over because he thinks lane 2 is his lane.

You sir should have your driving licence removed from you.
you pull out onto cars Knowingly and deliberatly, That is "without due care and attention"
and you wonder Why truckers have the Well deserved and earnt reputation of being Very bad inconsierate drivers.

well done for proving ,yet again, that truck drivers do as they please when they want irrespective of the laws relating to driving,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: