Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom update to V9 is broken. DO NOT UPDATE!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom update to V9 is broken. DO NOT UPDATE!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: TomTom update to V9 is broken. DO NOT UPDATE!!! Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comIf you own a TomTom 540,740 or 940 live SatNav then please do not upgrade to the latest version of the application that TomTom Home will offer you. If you do then you will not have any Live services after the upgrade. Currently the only way to restore the live services is to drop back to the previous version of the software.

The quality standards that we were used to with TomTom seem to be slipping somewhat. It would seem like the latest version 9 software update is not compatible with a lot of TomTom hardware devices. In particular if you upgrade to V9 then you will lose all your TomTom Live services. This would appear to be as a result of issues with the SIM according to users on the site that have tried the update.

On contacting TomTom today a spokesperson stated: "We are aware of this issue and have put the following steps in place for our customers, whilst we work to provide a solution to resolve it…".

Those steps being a method to regress back down to version 8 software. This can be achieved using the following process:

Follow these steps:
1. Connect your GO to your computer and start TomTom HOME.

2. In HOME, click Manage my GO. 

3. Select the Items on device tab and then select Applications.

4. Select the Items on computer tab and then select Applications. 

5. Click Remove selected items.

6. Click Update my GO. 

7. Make sure the application is selected, then click Update and install.

Attention: Only install the application once!

HOME will offer an application a second time. Do NOT install that application.

Our current advice is not to update your TomTom when asked on connecting to TomTom Home. Stay on version 8 for the moment. We will let you know when a working solution is available.

What I fail to understand how this got released. TomTom put all their software through a detailed external beta test phase. These tests use numerous UK testers (though not me in this case) all of which who should have seen the issue and reported it back to the test co-ordinators. It seems extremely strange that it was either not picked up by beta testers, or that TomTom would ignore the reports from the UK users. someone has dropped the ball big time here!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this topic for discussion on the issues with the TomTom x40 software update: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=83853
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it was even beta tested?

I doubt it somehow
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

I doubt it somehow

My suspicion is that this is a simple configuration issue on the servers. Someone did an update for the x50's, and hit the button for the x40's and others too. But it will be a good thing IMO, as they now sort of have to release it for the x40's to make good on the implied promise of an update. (Plus it will, it says, fix the favourite loss when updating maps issue).
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
AndyVaughan wrote:

I doubt it somehow

My suspicion is that this is a simple configuration issue on the servers. Someone did an update for the x50's, and hit the button for the x40's and others too. But it will be a good thing IMO, as they now sort of have to release it for the x40's to make good on the implied promise of an update. (Plus it will, it says, fix the favourite loss when updating maps issue).

No this was indeed an update for the x40 range. It is just that there is a problem with the UK SIM cards. It would appear as if the rest of the World can update OK.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

No this was indeed an update for the x40 range. It is just that there is a problem with the UK SIM cards. It would appear as if the rest of the World can update OK.

OK - that's good to know.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will TomTom be replacing my faulty SIM (or unit) or will it nicely be out of guarantee?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
So will TomTom be replacing my faulty SIM (or unit) or will it nicely be out of guarantee?

Neither your SIM nor your unit is faulty, just not the same as the European SIMs. They are looking for a solution in software so no hardware will need to be changed.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I mistook read the post as the fault as being in the SIM rather than the software.

What is odd is that earlier versions of the 950 software would work with my SIM in the 940.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed on the French GPSPassion forums that French users are also experiencing this problem, so it appears to be not just the UK SIMs.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom update to V9 is broken. DO NOT UPDATE!!! Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
"We are aware of this issue and have put the following steps in place for our customers, whilst we work to provide a solution to resolve it…"

Oh for the love of....that was 5 days ago! Why are they still installing this. I've just done an update, and now my 540 won't connect to the network. Angry Evil or Very Mad Grrrr Grrrr Censored Censored Censored

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: