Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Screen appears burnt after very hevay rain
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen appears burnt after very hevay rain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Screen appears burnt after very hevay rain Reply with quote

Hi all

I was in the lakes over the weekend and apparently had one month’s rain in a day !

Problem was although I had the Active 10 in a plastic wallet in my pocket the rain still got in Crying or Very sad

Switching on today to down load the route to my PC the screen has a back blob on it and the unit will not power on.

Any on the black blob, will the unit dry out so I can down load route and still not can I get the route off any other way.

Would really appreciate any help and advice on these issues.

Kind regards

Mike
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I think this another case of the Active 10 not being as water resistant as Satmap would have us believe,perhaps the long,long,long.............. awaited rubber case may solve the problem although it shouldn't need to for a "sports" GPS.

Even if the unit dries out the water may have done some damage to "the works" which may not become apparent until it is out of warranty.

I think I would be tempted to contact Satmap,after all they tout it as proof against the elements and the unit was even in your pocket.

I presume it is still under the two years warranty.

Ian
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have over the years dropped both a Samsung D600 and Nokia 6300 down the loo. In shirt breast pocket and bent over to lift loo seat and splash. After braving putting my hand in to retrieve the phone(s) I washed them off under clean water and removed the battery and sim card. Dried them off as best I could by shaking and kitchen paper towel and left them on radiator for 48 hours (not the batteries or sim cards). Both had water under in the screens. But after 48 hours both worked just fine again and there was no real mark left on the screens.

As I don't know your device, if you cannot remove the battery, then don't put on radiator. Just leave on window sill and let the sun do the job.

Good Luck Laughing
ElCapitan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about packing your Satmap in a plastic bag of uncooked rice and leaving it in the airing cupboard for a few days to draw any moisture out?
Tim
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like very good advice, except it might spoil your vindaloo ...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the back off remove the battery remove the front screen cover and SD card, leave the rubber bungs open that cover the SD card and mini USB then put it in a bag with a sachet of boil in the bag rice (less messy than with the loose stuff) then put it in a warm place for a few days, rice makes a very good agent for drying things out - Mike
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Screen appears burnt after very hevay rain Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:
Hi all

I was in the lakes over the weekend and apparently had one month’s rain in a day !

Problem was although I had the Active 10 in a plastic wallet in my pocket the rain still got in Crying or Very sad

Switching on today to down load the route to my PC the screen has a back blob on it and the unit will not power on.

Any on the black blob, will the unit dry out so I can down load route and still not can I get the route off any other way.

Kind regards

Mike

Mike,

Just out of interest,did you have the outer screen in situ when it let in water ?

I have often wondered if using it without the outer screen ( as I do ) may compromise the water resistance as water may get in via the case screw holes.

Ian
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Screen appears burnt after very hevay rain Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
Mike777 wrote:
Hi all

Kind regards

Mike

Mike,

Just out of interest,did you have the outer screen in situ when it let in water ?

I have often wondered if using it without the outer screen ( as I do ) may compromise the water resistance as water may get in via the case screw holes.

Ian

Hi

Outer screen was on.......... spoke to satmap and they think the water may have got in through the USB connection.

Mikw
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Screen appears burnt after very hevay rain Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:
Hi

Outer screen was on.......... spoke to satmap and they think the water may have got in through the USB connection.

Mikw

So are they willing to do any thing to help, or have you got it going again.
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Screen appears burnt after very hevay rain Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:
Mikw

Sadly that does not surprise me. The rubber cover over the USB connection on my unit is beginning to come adrift, and I fear that if I am not careful it will come off and get lost. It is also more difficult to make sure that it is really sealing when I close it. This seems to be a design area that SatMap needs to look into.

Actually I'd guess that it is really the useless audio socket that lets the water in more easily than the USB connector. Perhaps I should be seal this permanently with some form of sealant.

I hope I don't have to return the unit just for this...

Chris
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Screen appears burnt after very hevay rain Reply with quote

ChrisJakarta wrote:
Mike777 wrote:
Mikw

Sadly that does not surprise me. The rubber cover over the USB connection on my unit is beginning to come adrift, and I fear that if I am not careful it will come off and get lost. It is also more difficult to make sure that it is really sealing when I close it. This seems to be a design area that SatMap needs to look into.

Actually I'd guess that it is really the useless audio socket that lets the water in more easily than the USB connector. Perhaps I should be seal this permanently with some form of sealant.

I hope I don't have to return the unit just for this...

Chris

Chris,

I have returned my unit twice for the rubber flap over the USB socket to be replaced.

Ian
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need the USB cover replacing on mine after nearly eighteen months, there's a split appearing on the hinge, and it tends to open itself. I think the rubber has aged as it's discoloured too...

The rubber on the joystick lasted less than six months.

Time for one of their "services" I think.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have applied a thin film of silicon grease around the edges and channel of the SD cover and the USB port, as a precaution.

O course, I can't tell if it helps or not, but this is the same stuff I rub into the "O" ring on waterproof watches when I change the battery and I have never a seal fail on a watch. (Seiko wanted £30 to change a battery an guarantee a watertight seal). figure it can't hurt and it stops the rubber from perishing

I have had the same little tube of grease for about fifteen years, I am not certain, but I think it probably came from Maplins.
MarcG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two points here:-
I have a very recent Satmap unit - about 4 weeks old. I noticed that the rubber seal which goes fits between the screen cover and the unit itself is not properly seated. It is tucked in a little into the join between the front and back parts of the case. Clearly this has the potential to allow water ingress.

I called Satmap and spoke to a very pleasant guy called Ben. He admitted to me that he has seen this kind of problem before and says that it happens sometimes on assembly. He has seen it on units which have been repaired - presumably at the Satmap repair dept in the UK. He says that he has not noticed it with newly assembled units from Hong Kong but that of course is could occur.

Well obviously it can occur because I one sitting in front of me. I don't want to let it go until November so I have flagged the problem with Satmap and will send it to them in November for repair.

I would recommend all of you to check your Satmap units and inspect for proper seating of the rubber seal.

I am going to post this as a separate thread. If the mods want to make it a stickie for a while, it might be useful to people.

Secondly, silicone grease does not seal joints. It does not act as a gasket.

Silicone grease allows the rubber of the O ring to move ever so slightly to that is squashes evenly when it is compressed by the two surfaces for which it is providing a seal. This allows the O ring to provide the best sealing effect because it does not gather or thin at any particular part of the joint.

This is especially so in high pressure situations such as diving.

If the joint is not a compression joint - for instance, if it is merely the rubber cover the the USB port then the silicone is unlikely to have much effect - although I doubt whether it will have any negative effect either - and as Andy says it might help to stop the rubber from perishing
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I need the USB cover replacing on mine after nearly eighteen months, there's a split appearing on the hinge, and it tends to open itself. I think the rubber has aged as it's discoloured too...

The rubber on the joystick lasted less than six months.

Time for one of their "services" I think.

Just got mine back from a service as I had problems with water ingress either through the SD card rubber cover or the USB rubber cover which wasn't hinged at all as it had broke off some time ago. Satmap replaced the clam (standard as part of the service). Two days after I got it home the 'hinge' on the USB cover had failed and it is just hanging on by one small piece of rubber. Part of the problem may be that I keep the USB cable plugged in whilst I am plotting a route on the device thus putting extra stress on the rubber hinge, but I think it is a pretty poor design and a weak spot on a very important area of the device.

I have a Nokia 5500 weather resistant and shock resistant phone as I work outdoors. The rubber cover that protects the phone charger socket and connector port has a thick rubber hinge that extends right up into the back of the phone and forms part of the battery cover. I have had this phone for 4 or 5 years and the cover and 'hinge' are as good as new.

Next time I speak to the 'techy' guys at Satmap I will mention this to see if some improvement can be made to the design of the clam to incorporate a more robust USB/SD card seals.

Incidentally, the service greatly improved the acquisition time for satellite lock and they also upgraded the software and the unit looked brand new again.Very Happy Just a pity about the weak USB rubber cover.
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: