Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Timings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Timings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you running it on? Deep Blue?? Very Happy
If on a TT, then why do other previous posters' TTs take so long??
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tried the times on mine.
Rochdale-Cambridge = 16 secs
L/End - J O'Groats = 40 sec
London - Dublin = 52 secs

Thought I'd also try L/End - J O'Groats shortest route = 12mins 45 sec Shocked Shocked

BTW the route it calculated is 811ml and 20:44hrs

Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's intersting that my 720 is significantly slower than my old TT One New Edition, which did the Rochdale-Cambridge calculation in 14 seconds. But of course, the One doesn't have IQ routes.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Last edited by Robin2 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
What are you running it on? Deep Blue?? Very Happy
If on a TT, then why do other previous posters' TTs take so long??

Here's what you can expect soon (eat your heart out non-TT owners Smile )

TT Press release
Quote:
For the new platform, TomTom engineers were tasked to design a new routing algorithm that continuously scans the road network for the fastest routes, using these layers of navigation information. This has resulted in a patented super fast routing algorithm that sets new standards in accuracy and speed.

PGPSW preview
Quote:
The good points are route calculation, it's almost instant, a test 2000km route taking less than a second to calculate and display.

TomTom have achieved this by calculation of every possible route option from all start points to all destinations. This was achieved using a server farm that ran for weeks on end to perform the millions of calculations.

The resulting data has been compressed and the end result is a 1GB data file on the GO 1000 that it uses to produce the extremely fast routes.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you actually believe all the guff that TT publish Joker Shocked Question Twisted Evil
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might not need to.... Wink
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, someone closes a road using mapshare and tomtom have to recalculate all the routes from everywhere to everywhere else all over again using their server farm?

If calculating the route from everywhere to everywhere else doesn't seem like an impossible task (it does to me) they must also have calculated it for each of the five minute time slots in a day to take advantage of IQ routes. I wonder how many starting/ending points there are in tomtom's definition of everywhere.

Very clever to wedge all of this info into 1GB of memory. I predict that when the next map is released the 1GB will expand to at least 1.000000000001GB and it wont fit on the device Laughing
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure when the new iGO PRIMO will be available here but it looks very interesting. I wonder how long before TT catch up? Razz

LOOK HERE AND DROOL Very Happy
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something. Whilst its an interesting topic of discussion in the real world does it matter if a given route takes 45 seconds or 15 seconds to calculate?

The thing needed from a PND is good routing (another topic of discussion?) and if that takes a few seconds more personanlly I can't get worked up about it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's why it's important....

You have started off on a long journey and you are in the middle of a complicated junction in a strange town.

You make a wrong turn.

Do you make a U-turn in the middle of a busy street (if possible) or will there be a way to correct yourself just up the road. If you carry on, will it make 1 mile difference to the journey or have you just committed yourself to a 20 mile detour?

A quick decision from the sat nav of what to do can make a huge difference. So fast re-routing calculations are very useful.

Same thing happens if you get diverted by roadworks in the middle of town, or if you deliberately decide to take a different route.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Andy all the way. My iGO takes about two or three seconds to realise that I have diverted from its route, and takes but a few seconds to recalc. Much faster than my built in Honda satnav Confused Although it could be a bit of a pain on a route from London to Rome Shocked
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although it could be a bit of a pain on a route from London to Rome

I don't think so M8TJT, whilst on a trip coming home from France (Brillon, the other side of Lille), I approached a roundabout and it said 'take 2nd exit', which I did. Within seconds it said 'make a U Turn'. Which I couldn't because it was a narrow road with ditches either side. I found a place to turn round and headed back to the roundabout to be greeted with 'take 4th exit, which was back to the road I'd just done my 'U-Turn'. Confused I carried on but this time no instruction for 'U-Turn'. No idea what caused the hiccup but the re-routing was virtually instant. Strange thing, I've travelled that way 2 or 3 times since and no problem.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I take the point about recalcualting a route whilst travelling. My now rather ancient TT500 seems to recalculate fairly quickly. In fact I can't recall a time where the recalc has been a specific issue.

I've navigated in and around some city centres and not really thought there was a specific issue with recalc. Maybe its my poor recollection but it seems that once the original route has been calcuated, usually longest step, any recalc whilst traveling takes only a few seconds and I'd say far less than 10.
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a go at doing a bit of benchmarking myself.

GO750 with Europe_2GB map.

First tests were running everything off the internal memory. Then I moved the map folder (only) from the internal memory to a fairly cheap 4GB Class 6 SD card (Transcend).

My test route was from my home in Antibes in the South of France to Utrecht in Holland (just somewhere that I had in my favourites that give a reasonably taxing route plan). I timed the TomTom up to the point where the motorway toll question appeared (i.e. it had planned an initial route involving toll motorways) then told it to avoid tolls and timed the replan.

Not hugely scientific tests, but I did run each one at least twice in order to check consistency.

Initial route - internal memory c. 1'32"
Initial route - storage card c. 1'52" (22% longer)
Replan no tolls - internal memory c. 1'56"
Replan no tolls - storage card c. 2'28" (27% longer)

I was disappointed in these results. I was hoping to use the memory card so that I could upgrade my maps and have the single Europe map. I can't be bothered with segmented maps, so with this speed degradation in using the card I don't think I'll bothering about upgrading my maps until I really have to.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoeknee wrote:
OK I take the point about recalcualting a route whilst travelling. My now rather ancient TT500 seems to recalculate fairly quickly. In fact I can't recall a time where the recalc has been a specific issue.

Ah well, you've got a GO 500, the last reasonable range they made!! Cool Most other people have to make do with x10, x20, x30, x40 and x50 ranges which have (by new releases) exponentially improved to the point of taking 45 seconds to calculate Rochdale to Cambridge!!

My GO 550 took 45 seconds, gave a result of 177 miles, 3:01 hours journey time on the UK&ROI map v850.

My GO 700 took under 25 seconds, same 177 miles, 3:08 hours, Western & Central Europe map 675.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: