Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 950 Live causing massive problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

950 Live causing massive problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: 950 Live causing massive problems Reply with quote

Hi
I bought a 950 live two days ago. The live traffic worked straight out of the box. That evening I connected it up to Home and downloaded the updated map under the 30 day guarantee.

Since doing that I have had non stop problems. Regularly the buttons weren't responding and it rebooted itself three times in one day. Today I got fed up with it and "reset to factory". The buttons seem more responsive now but since then I haven't been able to connect to live traffic. Sometimes I am getting the "enter user name and password" box come up. When I enter the details it responds that another device is set up for that account. Which it isnt, because I used a different email address from the one connected to my other tomtom. On the device under Live Services it says username Anonymous.

Also I am getting "cannot connect to TomTom live services. Please try again later. Error code 148".

Cannot believe I spent £260 on this. My xl live was working ok, just fancied the voice commands and text to speech.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks (Would phone TomTom but they are shut weekends)
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reset to factory defaults again. As soon as the menu comes up for choosing language hold the power button in until you hear a drum roll AND the info screen comes up (looks like a BIOS screen). Now briefly press the power button and the unit will power off instead of going in to standby.

Now connect to your PC and power on - make sure HOME is not running first (no icon in the taskbar). The device should connect to the PC without any prompts, if it doesn't choose Yes when prompted to connect.

Now run clearflash three times, it will reboot each time when it is finished and should connect straight back to the PC.

Now eject safely from the PC and choose language etc.

Important for LIVE devices - set your Home location and do a navigate to ... and choose UK as the country - for some odd reason on the v850 maps my unit set itself to Andorra!

Do not enter a username and password for LIVE services and then get a satellite lock - hopefully it should now connect.
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy for your prompt reply. Before I try this can you just tell me what "clearflash tool " is ?

Thanks.. David
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, found it on Tomtom website. Will try what you said now Andy, cheers.
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Done all that, still getting error code 148!
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird though the fuel prices is working (although it says 3 garages near me are selling diesel at £1.07 - absolute rubbish, they are all between 1.16 and 1.21). yet I get the error message for everything else.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact TomTom on 0845 161 0009 on Monday morning, although it might be worth trying Saturday morning as they sometimes have people in - clearly explain what you have done so far and suggest the fault is with their server and your account which is something you cannot do anything about as the fault resides in a different country.

As for the fuel prices, they are a joke and have been for some considerable time - total waste of space on the device IMHO - Mike
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I will ring TomTom Monday.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In purchased a 950 live yesterday worked great out of box, but when I connected to Home and updated the maps, my 950 started to exhibit all problems you have experienced.

I followed Andy's instructions but like you no luck.

In frustration, knowing TomTom CS are not open until Monday, I deleted everything on the 950, and the installed my very first backup, the one I made when the 950 came out of the box in factory fresh condition.

Now, my 950 is back to working order with HD traffic .

Also, I have updated the 950 in small steps checking after each stage all was ok then backed up, before I started on next update offered.

This has done the trick for me, as now have map V850.2802 working OK with live services.

It has been stable so far after 6 hours use - but time will tell.
GO 920 Dead
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick

Interesting you've had same experience as me with your 950. I have just reloaded the backup I made before I downloaded the new map but unfortunately same problem, no traffic and error 148.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the application reinstall did the trick then!

This might be worth a try then - delete everything off of the TT apart from the zip and raster folders. I assume you have a full backup from day one straight out of the box in case it doesn't work Smile

Now find where HOME is storing all your downloaded items and MOVE the entire folder tree to somewhere else on your PC. Do this whilst HOME is not running. Now fire up HOME, and update, one item at a time - Application, Maps, Voices, Fuel Prices etc in that order.

You may find it offers you more than one application update - if so keep updating until you no longer get offered application updates.

Make sure you are logged in to HOME with the email account you have registered the device to as you have more than one device and HOME quite easily gets confused! Smile
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Sorry to be thick but what does "Now find where HOME is storing all your downloaded items" mean. What do I look in?

Incidentally, the unit is now telling me I need a subscription. My subscription may have expired. Yet "My services" is working at the moment and tells me it is valid until 13/7/2011. This is all just so crazy
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgreensuperhoops wrote:
"Now find where HOME is storing all your downloaded items" mean. What do I look in?

Start Home, click on "Tools", and then the "Folders" tab to see where Home saves your downloads.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I had same problems when I installed backup over existing files on TomTom.

It only worked when:

1. I deleted everything off the tomtom,
2. then reinstalled the first backup of original files,
3. then upgraded only one item at a time, backing up if it was working OK so I had a known point when it was working.

I think deleting everything was the key along with reintsalling original files onto a blank TomTom.

Hope this helps.
GO 920 Dead
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to my saga.

I spoke to Tomtom customer services yesterday afternoon, after holding on for about 40 minutes at my expense! I got put through to a very lovely lady called Andrea who was very human and sympathetic to my problem.

We ran through several checks and another "reset to factory state" but to no avail. She then asked me to connect the unit to Tomtom Home and copy to clipboard a whole load of gobbledygook about system settings etc. This I had to email to Tomtom.

I got an email from Tomtom this morning saying that the problem was at their end and that they needed to reset my account and did I agree. A few hours later all the live services came back on and I was credited with an extra 3 months live, so on top of he 12 months free when I bought he unit I now have 15 months free!

Got to say that, although irritated with the problem on a brand new unit costing a lot of money, the service from Tomtom has been superb (except for me having to pay on an 0845 number for 40 minutes holding on and then 60 minute call - that bugs me). Very swiftly sorted out by them - am impressed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: