Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DarrenR21373. As this is about TT POIs (PGPSW mainly, but also of course other more general POIs), I'll try and not go too far OTT, but perhaps need to explain my 'recommendation' a little more clearly as some people clearly are thinking about alternatives.

At 66 I can only claim to be FOND of my Navigon Cool and I do use POIWarner for a number of POIs. If someone with specific requirements compatible with Navigon, or expresses an interest, then I would certainly endorse their eminently sensible Razz intentions - if POIs were ONE of their needs I would try explain what I feel they need to be aware of.

Here though, POIs are the PRIMARY concern of the posters. When I used Garmin (with Ash's Camera Manager) POIs and any warnings loaded almost without a thought, integrated seamlessly into Garmin's own POIs, displayed on the map, all at no extra cost (Ash donation apart!). I assume TT traditionally are fairly similar. Pretty well "Plug and Play".

Unfortunately Navigon/POIWarner currently compares unfavourably in quite a number of important areas (IMHO). I won't burden TT aficianados too much with what most of them presumably don't need to hear- just two examples:

(i) PGPSW - camera icons do not display directly on the map but appear in a separate side display, often blocking the 'Next Turn' indicator I'm relying on at that moment Evil or Very Mad !

(ii) Most of my other POIs can't be loaded in without running them through another 3rd party file conversion utility first, which itself does not always run like a dream Wink . Definitely NOT "Plug and Play" in my experience.

Sorry if I've outstayed my welcome TT folks, but I didn't want anyone who really did start looking around to get any unwanted surprises (as some people have).

But if you DO want a REALLY good device anyway ..... Laughing Razz
DarrenR21373
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:

(ii) Most of my other POIs can't be loaded in without running them through another 3rd party file conversion utility first, which itself does not always run like a dream Wink . Definitely NOT "Plug and Play" in my experience.

My bad, I'd forgotten about that! Embarassed It's just that as a dyed-in-the-wool TT user, I never thought anything could touch them - how wrong I was Wink

Though I must admit, I converted my customer database via a free on-line service (http://www.poieditor.com/poi_convert/ov2-to-ascii/) from TT OV2 to ASC (which was itself originally converted from Google Earth KML format!!!) with no problems at all. Then again, I am a computer engineer by trade...

And of course I had to convert my camera warning sounds from OGG to WAV... maybe not such a great device for a beginner Laughing
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've owned 3 TomTom's.

I use many custom POI's, especially when driving abroad.

It looks like I won't be buying another when my 910 finally dies!

TomTom have become very ignorant and aragont over the past few years!

This will stop many current TomTom users upgrading to new TomTom devices and instead find an alternative manufacturer.

It would appear they are “Cutting off the nose to spite the face”.

Silly sods!
jurowla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like other members and users of this forum I have remained loyal to TomTom for many years. Newer and more exciting PND have appeared and I can tell you that living in Europe, you are presented with a bewildering array of options when it comes to product offerings in all but the smallest of retail outlets.

I strongly believe that a dedicated PND is the only choice for the job. Anything else is just a convergence compromise. PND’s have IMHO better sound and better dedicated processing. My GO 740 has never had to be reset and has guided me faultlessly twice in the last year from the UK to Greece. Live services worked faultlessly (until today when they told me I had 31 days to go until subscription renewal, would I like to renew? I said not today thank you. They cut me off dead! I then said yes and they still cut me off dead)!

Nevertheless the one thing that kept me loyal to the Dutch brand was third party POI support and in particular Pocketgpsworld.com and SCDB databases. I am sorry TT but I simply do not have the confidence in your camera database. I have been able to compare all as I subscribed to all. Sorry but if you discontinue third party POI support I will buy my next PND from Navigon as POI Warner seems to work with them, allowing me to still use the magnificent PGPSW reference source.

Take heed TT. Whilst the retailer may be able to convince Joe Soap and some poor old lady that yours is the product of choice, your fan base are the constant buyers of upgrades. I have seven TT units alone and only the almighty above knows how many I have flogged on your behalf when asked for a recommendation.

Unliked Arnold, if the non support of PGPSW databases and others is to continue, I will not be back.
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, Maplins have put a price up for the new 1000 at 279 for uk and eire and 20 pounds more for the europe model, speaking of the tomtom speed cams where I live near to stoke , there were some speedcameras on the A500 temp ones at that, the camera database that I use from here has them all gone which is correct, but you guessed it the tomtom database still says they are live. Rolling Eyes

One quick question when I put my 950 on the dock and check for updates it offers me 2 sets of tomtom speed cam databases a Premium one and a normal one, whats the difference ?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One quick question when I put my 950 on the dock and check for updates it offers me 2 sets of tomtom speed cam databases a Premium one and a normal one, whats the difference ?

I believe the Normal ones are Fixed cameras and the Premium are Fixed and Mobile Cameras.
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a user of PGSW speed camera alerts for many years but increasingly I've found I just get so used to the alerts now that I often switch off and don't take notice of them. Also the use of technology and the variety of speed camera locations and methods of catching people is widening so much. The only real answer is to drive safely and SLOW DOWN, keeping within the speed limits.

What I have started to find more useful than the camera alerts on my TT XL Live is the alert sounded when you exceed the speed limit for the current road and for going over a pre-configured maximum. To ensure I don't get used to it and ignore it I change the sound frequently.

So what I'm saying is that although I resent TomTom's stance on this I I personally find speed camera alerts are becoming less and less useful.
Lionley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom withdrawing support for TP data Reply with quote

I believe Tom Tom's actions are illegal under the Treaty of Rome. They are denying free trade. I am retired now, but I was heavilly involved in third party maintenance of a (then) well known computer companys products. I spent 2 weeks compiling a report to the European Commissioners who found that Company in breach of European Law. This situation with Tom Tom seems to me to be very similar.

Who will report them?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom withdrawing support for TP data Reply with quote

Lionley wrote:
I believe Tom Tom's actions are illegal under the Treaty of Rome. They are denying free trade.

i disagree - in my simpleton's mind! they are not denying free trade at all as you can buy any satnav you want. you are not forced to buy tomtom.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLee wrote:
I've been a user of PGSW speed camera alerts for many years but increasingly I've found I just get so used to the alerts now that I often switch off and don't take notice of them. Also the use of technology and the variety of speed camera locations and methods of catching people is widening so much. The only real answer is to drive safely and SLOW DOWN, keeping within the speed limits.

What I have started to find more useful than the camera alerts on my TT XL Live is the alert sounded when you exceed the speed limit for the current road and for going over a pre-configured maximum. To ensure I don't get used to it and ignore it I change the sound frequently.

odd... so you don't get used to the road-speed alerts you change the sound frequently but you find you get used to the sounds for the speed cam database... why not also change the sound warning for the speed cameras for the same reason?

from my experience of road speeds (and this is both navteq as well as teleatlas) there a lot that are missing or simply wrong. a road to my daughters nursery is 40mph and always has been as long as i can remember. every time i drive up there the satnav beeps at me telling me it's a 30. it's VERY annoying!

MaFt
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLee wrote:

That relies on all speed limit data being up to date which it certainly is not on the latest map for my One XL. I could point to one instance where the limit has been 50 for a year or more and each updated map still says it is 70.

It matters not whether the subject is speed limits or camera locations, observation and prior warning are both valuable aids. Proper prior warning of speed limits is generally limited to temporary limits in roadworks. Prior, accurate warning of cameras is readily available thanks to PGPSW.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, we're not just talking speed cameras here.

other POIs that you may want alerts for: school crossing patrols, low bridges, railway crossings, schools, public toilets...

do tomtom provide these POIs in their map databases? no. so they need to be from a 3rd party yet they block the ability to alert for them...

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! Very Happy

MaFt
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
JLee wrote:

odd... so you don't get used to the road-speed alerts you change the sound frequently but you find you get used to the sounds for the speed cam database... why not also change the sound warning for the speed cameras for the same reason?....

One reason is it's pretty quick to change the alert sound for the speed limit. But what I'm really trying to say is that I'm no saint and have been known to speed regularly like many of us and what I'm now putting more emphasis on is trying to curtail my speed in ALL areas, not just where there are speed cameras. If I do that then POI alerts, for me at least, become much less important.
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
also, we're not just talking speed cameras here.

other POIs that you may want alerts for: school crossing patrols, low bridges, railway crossings, schools, public toilets...

do tomtom provide these POIs in their map databases? no. so they need to be from a 3rd party yet they block the ability to alert for them...

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! Very Happy

MaFt

Hmmm... if you need POI alerts for schools and public toilets I think you need to take a look at yourself not TomTom Confused
hamsden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom are NO Go! Reply with quote

Well this is a backward stet by Tom Tom. I was considering them as a replacement for my GARMIN. They have made my mind up for me and I will be Buying a GARMIN in future Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: