Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Map Update Service - Buy 12 months get 6 months free
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Map Update Service - Buy 12 months get 6 months free

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: TomTom Map Update Service - Buy 12 months get 6 months free Reply with quote

Just had an email from TomTom

Quote:
Buy 12 months of TomTom Map Update Service and we’ll give you an extra six months for free.

Did this a few weeks ago. Either it's still running or they are doing it again....

Note: You need the latest version of your map installed on your device to get started. If you don't have this, we can offer one at a reduced price.

This offer is only available until 20 of July 2010.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I got this a few months back as I had just bought my unit ,although I did have to get up to date then buy the year
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems nice, but until they fix the core problems with updating, it is just adding another 6 months of pain. Not for me.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for them to do this again as I missed the last one Smile

dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Map Update Service started on 11 June 2009 so I theory it should have run out by now. I confirmed with TT that as I had only had 3 downloads of W + CE map that I would be entitled to the next map (v850.xxxx). This is 'apparently' will be out by the end of June according to TT customer support.

I have not had an email telling me my Map Update Service subscription has expired, and hope that the new map is out by 20th July so I can get my 6 months free. We shall see!
Tim
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise I was wondering about the number of updates per subscription if only three appeared in a calendar year.

Also as this map (W&CE) is late and you subscribed to the offer just before the new map is released, you could see five maps in a year if the future releases are on the old schedule to match the other maps. Would you then get five maps instead of four as a years supply of maps of would you just get 4 in 11 months? Maybe this is why the offer is there? I would be pleased if they extended the subscription for those who have recently purchased one.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got my offer today, and at £4.95 per quarter, it is rather tempting. Despite my big reservations.

Not sure I fully understand it though, as my current subscription is still active, and £4.95 per quarter should be £19.80 as in the email. So why is it that in Home it is offering it for £35.80? Why do they not explain the pricing properly? Even on the main page it suggests £31.80.

Anyone know what is up?
loro
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Okay, I got my offer today, and at £4.95 per quarter, it is rather tempting. Despite my big reservations.

Not sure I fully understand it though, as my current subscription is still active, and £4.95 per quarter should be £19.80 as in the email. So why is it that in Home it is offering it for £35.80? Why do they not explain the pricing properly? Even on the main page it suggests £31.80.

Anyone know what is up?

i got the same as you so emailed tomtom and this is the reply i had back off them

"The first 12 months of the Map Update Service are assigned at time of purchase. The further 6 months will be assigned once the promotion has expired to all customers who subscribed during the promotion period."

and i paid £19.80 for 18 months via home,but agree why the variation of price
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all sounds pretty good but if they are over a month late with each update your still only going to get 4 in the 18 months.
NA 2GB v8.45
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It specifically says you get 6 map updates, so I think that should be safe even if late.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It all sounds pretty good but if they are over a month late with each update your still only going to get 4 in the 18 months.

TomTom have confirmed they count the number of updates and not the dates. Therefore no-one will loose out. If you have an 18 month Map Update Service you will get 6 updates even if it take 20 months or more...
cn1701
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:

Anyone know what is up?

According to the email I received they base the price on the age of the current map.

I just used the LMG on my 930 refurb and Home is now offering it at £35.80 whereas before I updated the shipped maps (v810.1907) home wanted me to purchase W&CE for £39.99 and then the sub for £19.80.

I am thinking about taking the offer as I think both maps W&CE and NA will be covered.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cn1701 wrote:
I am thinking about taking the offer as I think both maps W&CE and NA will be covered.

I think you will find each map is hadled seperatly and needs its own Map Upgrade account which will cost double what you are looking at - Unless you travel to the USA on a regular basis is this really worth it?? - Mike
cn1701
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
cn1701 wrote:

I think you will find each map is hadled seperatly and needs its own Map Upgrade account which will cost double what you are looking at - Unless you travel to the USA on a regular basis is this really worth it?? - Mike

Thanks for the info, never had a device with multiple maps before, I kinda figured it was too good to be true.

Will probably update if needed if/when I travel and put it towards expenses.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: