Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Google's Turn by Turn Navigation comes to UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Google's Turn by Turn Navigation comes to UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gav28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used it today with my HTC Desire. I must say, it just works, even better it has real-time traffic update information as well. You can see where the holds-up are going to be, the estimated time of arrival is also spot on.

Considering it is free, I would think the likes of TomTom et co are rather concerned!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gav28 wrote:
Considering it is free, I would think the likes of TomTom et co are rather concerned!!

personally i doubt it. there are too many issues in my opinion:

offline maps - ok, so the app will cache maps while it has a data signal but what if you never have one? eg in wilsden near bradford there is no O2 signal. the lake district isn't great for mobiles so ALL your routes would need to be planned and cached before you went, if you go off course when you have no data connection then you can't get your maps or use the search function. if you are abroad then chances are you can't use it (doesn't work in many countries yet - nevermind the roaming data charges!)

POIs - many users like accurate POIs. frankly the positions of the POIs in google are terrible! bad at best! you can't add your own either. the other week we were out and had a call to meet my mother in law at my brother in law's grave (it would have been his birthday). we were already out so we used the google nav app on my htc hero. i searched for 'Bowling Cemetery' and it found nothing. what use was that?! in the end i had to try and remember roughly where it was (i'd only been there once before) and scroll around the map to find it on map view, then make a note of a nearby road name and then search for that. even though 'Bowling Cemetry' was clearly shown on the map, google's own search failed to find it... to me, that day, google navigation was as useful as a chocolate teapot.

search: searching for an address, i found, was quite fiddly - i'd much prefer to be able to enter details one line at a time instead of writing out the whole address to search for.

that's just a few!

MaFt
MarkBR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MaFt
personally i doubt it. there are too many issues in my opinion:

search: searching for an address, i found, was quite fiddly - i'd much prefer to be able to enter details one line at a time instead of writing out the whole address to search for.

MaFt[/quote]

Personally I had the opposite experience. I tried the voice input option - spoke "Brent Cross Shopping Centre" to it (admittedly "Brent Cross" failed to work!) - and it pretty quickly came up with a list of shops at Brent Cross to choose one as a destination. Very neat!

Although the directions are spoken in a rather robotic voice, they do speak the actual road names (and numbers where appropriate) which is more of a "high end" feature of sat navs. Not having this on my older Tom Tom, I do appreciate the extra information and not having to look at the sat nav screen so often.

It also has traffic information, although I still can't find out where the data is sourced. It apparently doesn't re-calculate based on traffic, which would be nice.

I haven't had signal problems in my limited use so far, but at least the whole journey is at least cached at the start, so as long as you don't stray far from the original route ...

I do wish though that the Speed Camera data could be incorporated into the 'Layers' feature, as that (for me) is the single biggest issue in using it in anger. Can anyone here make it work?!

MarkBR
Peter_O
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently acquired the HTC Desire and have to say I'm bowled over by it. It's just an amazing device that keeps doing stuff far better than I might have imagined possible, without having to constantly refer to manuals.

We have a Garmin Nuvi 300T and the maps need an update, but frankly I could buy a new sat-nav for less (I know, I exagerate) so I feel a little agrieved about it.

Thought I'd try the Google Maps/Navigation.. Wow! It's amazing too. The speaker on the Desire is bit weedy and turning on the GPS makes the battery state/icon mimic my fuel gauge! ;-) Needs a proper mounting, constant power and probably needs hooking up to the car audio to be really useful.

I'm using EZCam for camera alerts linked to SpeedCameraPOI. Seems to work(ish), doesn't seem to be very directional, often warns you of cameras on nearby roads - suddenly seeing a 30MPH warning on a 70MPH road is er, disturbing! EZCam has some really really childish sounds/alerts, the sorts of irritating stuff that you hear in a small childs electronic toy. Can't see how to change the sounds, you can adjust volume only.

Anyway, allegedly EZCam can work with PocketGPSWorld data - but I haven't seen how yet. If anyone knows of a guide for this, please point me at it. (Which is why I'm here really...)

Cheers
Peter
PS. EZCam costs only £1.99 from the Android Market. Given the cost, I can forgive its annoying sounds! ;-)
Peter_O
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if you look for EZCam, rather than your phone, it's plainly obvious what you do! ;-)

Cheers
Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: