Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Display of speed limits on TT devices ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Display of speed limits on TT devices ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Display of speed limits on TT devices ... Reply with quote

I've recently been using a Garmin (Nuvi 1300), a feature that I find useful is that is displays actual speed limits of most main roads next to to the live speed readout. Am I correct to assume that this feature is a function of the Navteq mapping data used by Garmin and therefore this feature is not available on TT devices?

Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is avaible on some, if not all TT devices. Fortunately, unlike Garmin devices, you can turn the feature off.

It usually displays the limit next to your current speed

ie.

55 / 70

which indicates you are doing 55 in a 70.
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PaulB for quick reply, much appreciated.

I'm also using a GO300 (obviously quite old) which doesn't have this feature, I'm not up to date with new models, hence the question.

Bought the 1300 for a change, suspect I will migrate back to TT, can't get used to red motorways! If new TT's have the speed limit indication I would find that quite useful.

Thanks
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my ONE you turn this on via the status bar preferences. You can also alter the speed limits for roads via the map corrections, although the mph conversion means this doesn't always work. If I set a spped limit to 40mph, it will show as 39mph on the status bar (i've tried setting 41/42 too but makes no difference).

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeta1 wrote:
I'm also using a GO300 (obviously quite old) which doesn't have this feature, I'm not up to date with new models, hence the question.
If you update the Navcore (to 7.903), and the Map to the latest, you will get this feature. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
jeta1 wrote:
If you update the Navcore (to 7.903), and the Map to the latest, you will get this feature. Smile

Thanks for the good advice ... sadly I've never been one for doing things the easy way ... have just been out and bought a GO550 Live !!!

So have a 3 day old Nuvi 1300 going cheap ... ... ...
mcintyre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has already been mentioned by others - my TT730 displays the current road's speed limit towards the bottom right of the screen alongside the current vehicle speed.

In addition if the vehicle speed exceeds the road limit this area turns Red and I get a warning bong, though that can be turned off if wished.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on the bottom LEFT of the status bar these days.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's more or less bottom centre on mine, unless of course you decide to have the status bar vertical Smile

jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, have bought a TT 550 the speed limit data (when available) is displayed bottom left on this device.

The point being it is available somewhere, whatever position it is displayed.

Thanks again.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience TomTom's speed limits are often inaccurate so I wouldn't depend on them if you want a correct display of the speed limit of the road you're on. Local authorities make frequent changes to speed limits. They're usually advertised in the back pages of local papers; added up it must amount to hundreds every week, some are temporary but many are permanent.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
Local authorities make frequent changes to speed limits. They're usually advertised in the back pages of local papers;
And a big white and red notice alongside the road, normally both sides so you don't miss them when overtaking Very Happy Unfortunately the map makers don't seem to notice them too often, so they are, as spook said, frequently out of date, or just plain vanilla wrong Sad
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
spook51 wrote:
Local authorities make frequent changes to speed limits. They're usually advertised in the back pages of local papers;
And a big white and red notice alongside the road, normally both sides so you don't miss them when overtaking Very Happy Unfortunately the map makers don't seem to notice them too often, so they are, as spook said, frequently out of date, or just plain vanilla wrong Sad

Quite so. This trend to rely on a satnav device for information that should be observed through the windscreen is worrying; I remember a thread in these forums where a new user was intending to use his device to 'read' the road ahead - wrong, totally wrong....
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that you should not use a satnav to substitute for good road observation, but now and again speed limit signs can be obscured, or you are distracted by some road event. In the old days you had a bit of time to realise you had missed the sign, now with CCTV everywhere you can get caught in a few seconds and prosecuted ruthlessly. Anything that safely helps the motorist against revenue-raising bureaucrats evens the balance.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
spook51 wrote:

Quite so. This trend to rely on a satnav device for information that should be observed through the windscreen is worrying; I remember a thread in these forums where a new user was intending to use his device to 'read' the road ahead - wrong, totally wrong....

I completely agree, there is no substitute for using the good old mk1 eyeball, I can assure you I have no intention of relying on the speed limit data from the satnav. Having the speed limit data available is simply an extra tool in box, I don't have a problem complying with speed limits but one has to know what the are in order to comply ... speed limit signposting is all too often woefully inadequate.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: