Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve3963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Camera warnings Reply with quote

I think the warnings that speed cameras are ahead are notifying too early. Is there an option to reduce the notication say down to 50 metres. It seems its notifying at least 500metres and with the constant sounding you dont really need to reduce your speed until you get 20 metres away. I'm very tempted to turn the sound off, which would defeat the object.
Regards
Steve
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say which Satnav you have, so it's difficult to give you a definite answer. Wink

Having said that, 500 metres is not very far when you consider that a Mobile Camera can have a range of 1000 metres Exclamation

As to reducing your speed in 20 metres. It depends how fast you are going and at what speed the camera is triggered. 60 down to 40 in 20 metres is some stopping. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Having said that, 500 metres is not very far when you consider that a Mobile Camera can have a range of 1000 metres Exclamation
But it's a hell of a long way if your satnav is continually banging on about it though Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is a Garmin user.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our normal suggestion for warning distances for fixed cameras is 10 times the speed limit in yards (or metres).
That means 500 yards/metres for a camera in a 50mph zone and with that you get about 15-20 seconds to react and to adjust your speed if necessary.

If you only want 50 metres warning distance I think that means you have under 2 seconds to react and slam the brakes on, in which case I feel sorry for anyone behind you! Shocked
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the descriptions in the The PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Type Guide could have the ranges at which different types of cameras are effective added?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
Perhaps the descriptions in the The PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Type Guide could have the ranges at which different types of cameras are effective added?

The problem in this instance is that Garmin does not have that level of control over warning distances available to the user unless you use third party utilities such as Ash10's Camera Manager.

Other than mobiles, the effective range of most fixed cameras is very similar but the choice as to what range a user wishes to set for an alert is theirs to make at the end of the day.

However, for those platforms that do offer customisation of warning distances we publish this rule of thumb guide:

spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, right - I'm not familiar with Garmin limitations. I already have my warnings set to as advised in the tables which seems to work OK - I haven't been nabbed yet.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can attempt to over ride the settings by selecting the Manual option in POILoader where you can customise the alert distance.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the distances we suggest give broadly similar timings to the default settings which TomTom use for their own camera database.
steve3963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera warnings Reply with quote

steve3963 wrote:
I think the warnings that speed cameras are ahead are notifying too early. Is there an option to reduce the notication say down to 50 metres. It seems its notifying at least 500metres and with the constant sounding you dont really need to reduce your speed until you get 20 metres away. I'm very tempted to turn the sound off, which would defeat the object.
Regards
Steve
my satnav is kenwood KNA-G520. I dont know of any options on it to reduce the warning time. There are dozens of 30mph speed cameras in Blackpool, so reducing the warning time would be benficial.
Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: