Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Skobbler - iPhone OpenStreetMap app is now free
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Skobbler - iPhone OpenStreetMap app is now free

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Skobbler - iPhone OpenStreetMap app is now free Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comSkobbler, the OpenSource navigation app, that launched in the UK Appstore last month has now become a free app.

Using OpenStreetMap data, Skobbler allows motorists and other users to report map errors and make corrections that are fed back to the OpenStreetMap community for the benefit of all users.

Map are delivered over the air (OTA) and so you benefit from constantly updated and improved map data as the user base grows. When launched in Germany, Skobbler quickly became the No1 selling navigation app for iPhone and has now achieved the same accolade in the US appstore.

With your corrections being incorporated into the master OpenStreetMap data you can see your efforts benefit all other users. Now, instead of having to wait months or even years for corrections to be incorporated you will see your edits reflected in the master data within days.

Available now, free of charge in the Appstore . For more information visit the Skobbler web-site at www.skobbler.co.uk.

PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Still £1.19 in the App Store...

Still not bad price...
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Hmm. Still £1.19 in the App Store...

Look for the lite version - cost me nowt!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right got it now... Thanks
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not free, they've reduced the price from £1.89 to £1.19.
Edit: Oh I see - there's a free version of the paid app, plus they've made the made the paid one cheaper... Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! Not just me then Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Skobbler - iPhone OpenStreetMap app is now free Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
Now, instead of having to wait months or even years for corrections to be incorporated you will see your edits reflected in the master data within days.
So now you can block the M25 in seconds then?? Shocked
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Skobbler - iPhone OpenStreetMap app is now free Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
So now you can block the M25 in seconds then?? Shocked

Yes - this could be a major problem. If a truck drives through a village, a villager could delete the road or block it. All the same problems we have had with Wikipedia.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that OSM take their data changes very seriously and any rubbish won't get in to the main map release, this isn't a system anything like "Share Map" (Swap the words to get the true meaning) - Mike
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work from time to time helping with the OSM data capture (i.e., collecting gps track logs, POI notes, and so on, and uploading them, as part of the London Mapping Effort.

Map Abuse is a valid concern, but there have been, and are still, measures being taken to combat this. More than that, I can't comment, as I frankly don't know what they are, as it's something that's well above my pay grade, as we used to say back in the day ;). I can say that it's been mentioned in the forums there, and in the meetings the London group has on our mapping effort days, but that's about it.

There is, though, one main problem with the OSM: This is that it's volunteers that help update the map, and therein lies the problem - there aren't enough volunteers, so updates to the less travelled and volunteer-laden areas will tend to be few and far between. Aside from that, it's an excellent project, and I for one cannot wait until a windows mobile version of one of the satnav packages out there starts to support it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: