Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce multitasking on iPhone iOS 4
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce multitasking on iPhone iOS 4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: TomTom announce multitasking on iPhone iOS 4 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comOne of the main bugbears with the iPhone is the lack of multitasking functionality. The new iPhone OS iOS 4 introduces multitasking, but it is not inherent. The developers need to code specifically to allow multitasking. TomTom have announced that the next version of thier software will support both iOS 4 and multitasking.

This means that you will be able to run your Turn by Turn navigation app alongside your favorite Speed Camera Warning app (assuming that supports multitasking too).

Press release from TomTom follows:

TomTom for iPhone app to support Apple iOS 4 multitasking functionality

~ Seamless navigation features will leverage iOS 4 multitasking demonstrated yesterday at Apple WWDC ~

London – June 4, 2010 – TomTom will introduce multitasking to the TomTom app for iPhone. Its next version, which will be compatible with iOS 4, will be submitted to Apple for review after the June 21 release of iOS 4. Among the new features available in TomTom app for iPhone, will be support formultitasking functionality*, allowing users to get turn-by-turn guidance at the same time as operating other applications.

The current version of the TomTom app for iPhone (version 1.3) is available for purchase via the App Store, and both current and new owners of the app will be able to update to the new version immediately upon its availability for no additional charge. As an additional incentive for new users to start using the application, TomTom is currently offering the UK& Ireland and Western Europe versions of the app at a discounted price of £54.99 and £42.99 respectively.

Following the success of the recent promotion, TomTom is also making its award-winning HD Traffic service available to users at a new price that will make avoiding the jams that much easier. Beginning today, a 12-month subscription for TomTom HD Traffic is now offered on the TomTom app at £22.99. With TomTom HD Traffic, TomTom app users receive real-time traffic speed updates and incident reports continuously. As soon as any delay is found on the route, users are notified and can be automatically re-routed to an alternate, faster route. TomTom HD Traffic is an optional service available via in-app purchase.

“As TomTom continues to innovate and to take advantage of new capabilities of the iOS 4, users of the TomTom app will benefit from the combination of TomTom’s most advanced and acclaimed features and the iPhone’s unique functionality,” said Tom Murray, senior vice president of market development for TomTom Inc. “We are pleased to integrate multitasking capabilities to the newest version of our TomTom app, and to be able to ensure that users can now enjoy other iPhone features while they continue to receive the best routing directions from their TomTom application.”

*Available on iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3rd Generation devices, running iOS 4.

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: TomTom UK more expensive than Europe!!! Reply with quote

Not sure if any of you noticed but TomTom UK and Ireland is £12 more expensive than the entire Western Europe.

In fact when you compare the prices you have to wonder where they get their pricing structure from... TomTom USA = $40 TomTom UK = $85! Does the UK really have so many extra roads or extra functionality to justify being twice as much as the US version. I doubt it!

<ZIP>Before I say something I will probably regret!</ZIP>
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the App Store and Western Europe is £42.99 as stated but UK & ROI is listed as £49.99.

Could the regional ones be more detailed?

Edit: But I take your point about the USA / UK comparison Mike.

Last edited by SpikeyMikey on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info, do you reckon that the new iphone 4 will fit in the TomTom car kit holder and still work the same as it does with 3g/3gs, I notice the size is a bit smaller ie thiner but all other measurements seem about the same.
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttrevor wrote:
Thanks for info, do you reckon that the new iphone 4 will fit in the TomTom car kit holder and still work the same as it does with 3g/3gs, I notice the size is a bit smaller ie thiner but all other measurements seem about the same.

Hopefully my new toy (coming June 24th) will have the same GPS chipset as my iPad and will not need to use the TomTom cradle. But if the height of the iPhone 4 is the same as the 3GS then it probably will.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I did not want to go and buy one and find it does not work as per the 3g/3gs , so hopefully it should be ok.
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
prl1862
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my 3GS to iOS 4 today. TomTom doesn't perform very well, as if it isn't communicating with the cradle.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prl1862 wrote:
I upgraded my 3GS to iOS 4 today. TomTom doesn't perform very well, as if it isn't communicating with the cradle.

How did you update to OS 4 ?
I didn't think it was out until 21st !
FastLaneJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttrevor wrote:

Actually I'm not so sure. The cradle is shaped to fit the curve of the 3G / 3GS at the top with the roller. I don't think that will work too well with the iPhone 4 due to it's flat shape however it is thinner so it might get around that.

I'd hate to have to dig out the old TomTom 910 again until I could find a solution to this. Even if the GPS is much more accurate on the iPhone 4 there is the audio out and integrated speaker which I use both of depending on if I want the radio or not.

P.S. Now upgrading to iOS 4.0 GM (Yes I've a dev account). Really hope TomTom doesn't work poorly on it, on the beta's it seemed to be fine. Obviously if it does they will fix it quickly once 4.0 is final but to have to wait a few weeks would be a bummer as I'd have to go to the 910 without HD traffic Sad
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastLaneJB wrote:
snip... Even if the GPS is much more accurate on the iPhone 4 snip..

Just to be clear we dont know what the GPS performance is going to be like yet. This is an assumption based on the A4 architecture in the iPad, the iPhone 4 will be different even if it uses the same chipset the antenna may not perform as well.

We will find out on the 25th.
sn00p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody changed devices during a "traffic subscription" to TomTom?

It's documented by them that it's tied to a specific device (using the UDID no doubt) which means that anybody who upgrades to a iPhone 4 will lose their traffic subscription unless TomTom provide an easy way for you to associate the traffic service with your new device.

I've looked through their website and can't seen any obvious answers, this only came about because my subscription is about to end and I'm going to be switching my old 3G to a new 4 handset.
prl1862
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:
How did you update to OS 4 ?
I didn't think it was out until 21st !

I paid Apple £59 to sign up as an app developer in April (although I'm not developing an app). This gives me access to the beta versions of iOS 4 and iTunes 9.2. I didn't install betas 1 to 4 of iOS because my iPhone is my primary phone but I took a calculated risk to install beta 5 aka the gold master candidate of iOS 4. I decided that since I could use a beta version of iTunes to install it (rather than using XCode), that it was less risky, especially since I could use the software update option rather than the software restore.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prl1862 wrote:
I decided that since I could use a beta version of iTunes to install it (rather than using XCode), that it was less risky, especially since I could use the software update option rather than the software restore.

i couldn't get it to install via itunes so had to do a restore upgrade Sad but we're drifting off topic now ;)

MaFt
FastLaneJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
FastLaneJB wrote:
snip... Even if the GPS is much more accurate on the iPhone 4 snip..

Just to be clear we dont know what the GPS performance is going to be like yet. This is an assumption based on the A4 architecture in the iPad, the iPhone 4 will be different even if it uses the same chipset the antenna may not perform as well.

We will find out on the 25th.

Agreed. However I don't think Apple would have made a song and dance about the antenna system on the iPhone 4 if there was no improvement. So I at least expect it to work better than the iPhone 3GS. This could be wrong but I think it's just much more likely to have improved is all.
Sportiva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgrade my 3G S to iOS4 and it seems there are some serious problems with TomTom crashing every time I try to enter the destination via POI, Google local search or by entering the address. The only way I've found it to be reliable is first set the destination as favorite and then start the navigation from there. Are you seeing this?

EDIT: Regarding the ways of upgrading iOS4 GM; according to Apple release notes you should do restore with iOS4 GM and not upgrade. Don't know why but thats what they say.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: