Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Oregon or Satmap Active10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Oregon or Satmap Active10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebnats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Oregon or Satmap Active10 Reply with quote

Hi, Newbie needs advice on purchase of either Garmin Oregon or Satmap, for hiking/mountain biking. Having read that most bugs on these models have now been fixed, need usrers advice for ease of use, mapping etc and display if used on bike mount. Also considering trying out geocaching.Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are mainly UK based then may I suggest the Active 10. I have both a Colorado 300 and the Active 10 and the main reason for purchasing the Active10 was because I could get the whole of UK on OSGB 1:50K mapping. The Oregon (and Colorado) only have selected areas (National Parks/Trails) on OSGB mapping. You can also purchase 1:25k mapping for whole (or any part) of UK for the Active 10 - the whole of UK at 1:25k requires a substantial lottery win! Satmap will also do a customer centred mapping solution - very good for those of us who live (and/or walk) on the corners of usual OS maps!
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon or Satmap Active10 Reply with quote

Rebnats wrote:
Hi, Newbie needs advice on purchase of either Garmin Oregon or Satmap, for hiking/mountain biking. Having read that most bugs on these models have now been fixed, need usrers advice for ease of use, mapping etc and display if used on bike mount. Also considering trying out geocaching.Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers.

I went for the Oregon 550T .. its smaller but the screen is still perfectly adequate. The smaller size makes the Oregon more robust and easier to carry. Might not appear that way, but try carrying both on a 30km walk then you’ll see what i mean!

The SatMap though initially much underdeveloped (i returned mine in Jan ’08) seems to be getting good reviews now. You should definitely try before you buy. But with the extra power pack and recommended accessories, you’ll going to spend over £500. The equivalent Oregon and accessories worked out at least £150 cheaper!
I like the Oregon for its size, ruggedness.. Garmin make very rugged devices.. I love the Oregon’s UI and despite what many have said about its gimmicky 3D view, I find it a real bonus, helping me visualize the route from a new perspective.

The Oregon (as far as I can tell) has a better battery life than the SatMap.. it doesn’t matter how good your GPS is, if u run out of power then you’re carrying a brick! With my Oregon set on WASS reception, Backlight set to approx 60-70%, and the unit left on continuously in tracking mode, I’m getting approximately 15 hours of use using fully charged 2 x Uniross 2700maH NiMH Batteries. IMHO That’s way good enough for any trek unless you are away from the office for days at a time! I carry at least one extra set when I go out but have yet ever to use them!

The more I use the Oregon the more I like it. I have only had the unit a couple of weeks so time is yet to be the real test.. And with my disastrous start with the Oregon (invalid files on sd card?!), causing my unit to throw a wobbly every time I turned it on, things seem to be panning out fine! (This was mainly due to me placing incorrect files on the SD card.. Not really Garmin’s fault).
There are currently one or two bugs in the Oregon’s firmware, but it you update to the latest v2.81 (and its still beta), things should be ok.

I will be doing a 550T (UK model) video review plus some tips and tricks etc on YouTube relatively soon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jay1967

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late for OP but the latest Active 10 firmware has settings (hibernate) that exetenbd the battery life (I'm talking about the LiPoly pack) to several 10's of hours - the site claims 100 hours I recall. Very useful for those extended trekking holidays.
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Oregon 400t and while I can't comment on the Satmap it does ok on the bike as a record of the journey. I leave the screen on whilst it is mounted on the handlebars and the battery (rechargeable) will last all day.
Rather a glorified bike computer really!!

peter
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between these two I would always choose the Oregon because it is a system to which I could add my own maps. When I travel, I always download or scan in a local map to my GPS. I would never buy a system like Satmap that does not permit this.
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, I went for Oregon 450 as it has ability to load OSM and better suited to geocaching IMO than satmap.
Satmap has nice screen but its data costs and flexibility that swung it for me

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: