Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: CoPilot Live | Pocket PC 5 Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: CoPilot Live | Pocket PC 5 Europe
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: CoPilot Live | Pocket PC 5 Europe Reply with quote

As always, PocketGPSWorld.com tries to bring you the major Reviews first where possible, and this is yet another World Exclusive Review of CoPilot Live 5! It's not just any old review, it's a MAMMOTH so we have had to split it into two parts!

ALK really have out done themselves with CoPilot 5! CoPilot 5 is a superb product, a pleasure to use and will definitely get you from A to B with the least amount of hassle using CoPilot's Traffic feature! Coupled with the new features included in CoPilot 5 and the latest 2004 NAVTEQ maps, this really does make CoPilot 5 an application to reckon with!

CoPilot Live 5 offers a whole host of new features including 3D Maps, Night Mode, New GUI, Updated 2004 NAVTEQ Maps (Including M6 Toll Road!), Traffic Avoidance, Landscape mode support and much more!

Read the full US review here.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/copilot-live-ppc-5-na.php

Read the full European review here.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/copilot-live-ppc-5.php

Last edited by Dave on Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Rattle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! That's really one mammoth of a review that I've been looking for since the spring :D

I have just two questions:
1) when is ALK planning to start offering upgrades in europe? there's nothing on their website yet
and 2) are the road preferences working in CP5? is there a way to say i want to avoid all Motorways or i want to avoid a particular road Before i physically reach that road?

Cheers,
Eriks
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you liked it!

1) I believe very soon, if not now. I'll check and get back to you.

2) Unfortunately not, you still have the choice of choosing Automobile and RV in the release I have. The review is based on a pre-release copy and not the final build, but I have checked what has changed between the build I have and the final release build and it's only a few cosmetic changes.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great review Dave Thumbs Up I have been looking for a system that uses Navteq maps and now that ALK have revamped their GUI this looks like the one to go for.

There is the added bonus of up-to-date maps on the PC. On the PC is it possible to search for places/post codes and mark them for transfer to the PPC?

When transferring Custom POI does the associated map data have to be transferred as well or is there an equivalent to a TomTom overlay file?

Finally, for the moment :D , I have been looking again at the Emtac GPSJAQ and I presume that CoPilot 5 Live will work with that as ALK have a rebadged version.

Richard
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Thanks for the great review Dave Thumbs Up I have been looking for a system that uses Navteq maps and now that ALK have revamped their GUI this looks like the one to go for.

Thanks Richard, I have liked CoPilot for a while now, and it just keeps getting better and better, and I think v5 is now a great and robust product!

Oldie wrote:
There is the added bonus of up-to-date maps on the PC. On the PC is it possible to search for places/post codes and mark them for transfer to the PPC?

Yes you can, you can save the routes from A to B, or even favourites and export them to the Pocket PC. The downside with this and the POI Export facility is that you still have to re-transfer the entire maps to the Pocket PC everytime you do this. It's not too bad if you say have an SD or CF Card reader attached to your PC, but if you're doing it over ActiveSync you'll find it alot longer. Maybe it's just my ActiveSync, but to download about 100mb of any data takes about 4 mins via a reader/writer, but over ActiveSync it'll take around 30 mins and will prob drop the connection several times.

Oldie wrote:
When transferring Custom POI does the associated map data have to be transferred as well or is there an equivalent to a TomTom overlay file?

You still have to transfer the entire map area again.

Oldie wrote:
Finally, for the moment :D , I have been looking again at the Emtac GPSJAQ and I presume that CoPilot 5 Live will work with that as ALK have a rebadged version.

I haven't tried it, but I can't see any reason why it won't. There were a few issues with certain apps not seeing the stealthed com port on the GPSJ, but CoPilot Live 4 and CoPilot Live 5 is available with this sleeve, so there shouldn't be any issues (hopefully!).
sgt-spam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Looks cool! Reply with quote

CoPilot 5 looks great!

I see they have a competitive upgrade plan for owners of Mapopolis (that's me)...

Big question: Is it worth it to move to CoPilot?

I didn't see any trial versions of the software, and I'm not sure how the detail is compared to Mapopolis' maps.

Any thoughts?
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea if ALK will be offering competitive upgrades in the UK as they do in the USA? I'll definitely be getting it if they do. Come to think of it, I'll probably buy it anyway.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of the new product on the UK site, but hopefully if they use the same upgrade method as the US, and similar pricing this will make the upgrade about £50.

Now then PocketGPS team, a difficult question:

If it was your own money, the price was the same, and the hardware the same, would you buy TomTom V3 or CoPilot V5 ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Looks cool! Reply with quote

sgt-spam wrote:
I see they have a competitive upgrade plan for owners of Mapopolis (that's me)...

Unfortunately this is for US users only. ALK Europe may decide to do something, but last time I spoke with them on this subject they had no immediate plans to implement the same upgrade from other products in Europe.

sgt-spam wrote:
Big question: Is it worth it to move to CoPilot?

Definitely!

sgt-spam wrote:
I didn't see any trial versions of the software, and I'm not sure how the detail is compared to Mapopolis' maps.

No trial versions around.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
No mention of the new product on the UK site, but hopefully if they use the same upgrade method as the US, and similar pricing this will make the upgrade about £50.

ALK Europe had hoped for the website to be updated Tuesday evening, but I think there might be an issue there. If it's not updated tomorrow I'll check with ALK to see what's happening.

SpeedCam wrote:
Now then PocketGPS team, a difficult question:

If it was your own money, the price was the same, and the hardware the same, would you buy TomTom V3 or CoPilot V5 ?

That's a real tricky question. After the event having tested both, I'd have to edge slightly more towards CoPilot.

I'd say that the jump from CoPilot Live 4 to CoPilot Live 5, is more in tune to say jumping from TomTom Navigator 1 to TomTom Navigator 3. I like both applications equally as much as each other. The main differences I see where TomTom win are in the third party support with easy upload of customisable POI's, CoPilot fails in that comparison. But, CoPilot has a much more reliable address lookup facility and makes address look ups real easy now, so I'd have to say CoPilot wins hands down in that arena. Plus you also get free PC maps where you can manage your favourites and trips which you don't get with TomTom Navigator.

Other than that, they're pretty much on a par with each other.
jlw
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys... Is there no maps for Sweden?

Seems to be a great program.
CF: Lexar 256 MB
Poporta Alu-Case
ftlum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Map movement Reply with quote

Great review! From the demo on their website, it looks like the maps don't move, but rather the "you are here" icon moves across the screen. Is this correct? If so, is this a better or worse navigation technique?

thanks,

- Frank
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a couple questions for you:
Does it snap to roads and if so, can it be disabled?
The map moves and the icon stays centered correct? Teletype sucks since the icon moves and the map is stationary.
Will it support VGA screens like the HP Ipaq 4700 or Toshiba e805?
Does it show accracy anywhere? Like on the GPS status screen?
Does it leave a trail, bread crumb trail or anything showing where you have been? Can the trail be saved?
Are street names show in the 3D mode? It doesn't look like it.
Can you select how much detail to display on the map? PMN doesn't and you get what they show at any given zoom level. Teletype on the other hand allows me to select the amount of detal. I can see all the streets at just about any zoom level. Granted its cluttered screen, but sometimes I like to see how big the community is around me while I'm passing through.
ftlum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: TTS quality Reply with quote

One more question-- how would you rate the text to speech quality compared to Pocketmap Navigator? I thought the sample you posted was pretty good.
Leeus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick thought...

They must upload the Copilot live site to a demo area first right???

http://www.alk.eu.com/new/

ta da!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: