Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Launch Golf GPS: Approach G3 and Aproach G5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Launch Golf GPS: Approach G3 and Aproach G5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Garmin Launch Golf GPS: Approach G3 and Aproach G5 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comGarmin have just launched a new line of GPS device for golfers. The Approach G3 and Approach G5 have been designed specifically for golfers to follow their position on the course and also keep an accurate record of their scores and stats.

Both devices are rugged, waterproof (IPX7) and have full colour touchscreens. The G3 has a 2.6" screen and the G5 has a slightly larger 3" screen. Both have a digital scorecard and allow you to input which club you used so you can even view your average shots per club.

At launch the Approach device comes with over 1,200 UK golf clubs but throughout the Summer Garmin will be updating these and also adding new courses across France, Germany, Spain and Portugal - all free of charge and without subscription.

The G3 will retail at around £249.99 and the G5 at £329.99.

For more information, to view some videos and see the full list of courses available please go to their website at: http://www.garmin.co.uk/approach

Click for larger image:
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The G3 has been available on Amazon in the U.S. since the beginning of January 2010, but only with U.S. golf courses.

I believe G5 came out earlier in the U.S. around July ~ August 2009.

I guess it took them a few months to finalise all the UK golf courses.

I wonder if the crazy golf in my local park is on it?

Personally I find golf far to dangerous, so stick to snowboarding Very Happy
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, doesn’t it defeat the object of the game a little?
Pimmsoclock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Defeat the game a little? Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
Also, doesn’t it defeat the object of the game a little?

You mean like a caddy....."In golf, a caddy (or caddie) is the person who carries a player's bag, and gives insightful advice and moral support. A caddy is aware of the challenges and obstacles of the golf course being played, along with the best strategy in playing it."

If I can have an electronic versioni in my pocket, then I'd consider it.
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Defeat the game a little? Reply with quote

Pimmsoclock wrote:

You mean like a caddy....."In golf, a caddy (or caddie) is the person who carries a player's bag,

If Garmin can make a GPS Unit that will carry your bag can Tomtom develop a device that chauffers you from A to B?
Tim
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a golfer and these devices are stupid o'clock money. You pay hundreds for the device and then you pay x amount for each course you download to use on it (on sky caddie anyway, I notice the Garmin one is free downloads)

I have a piece of software called "Inteligolf" on my HTC Smartphone. It cost $40 does full GPS distances and I can build my own Golf courses using Google Maps for nothing. OK you don't get a nice graphic of the hole but it still tells me how far it is to the front / centre / back of the green etc.

GPS is not cheating, all it is really doing is telling you how far it is to the hole. You can buy a map from any course telling you the same info, this is just a little more accurate. They are also allowed in local competitions after an R&A ruling as long as your course make a similar local ruling.
barshaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golfshot for the iPhone is £17, has 22,000 courses throughout the world (including every UK course I know of) and is simply brilliant. Garmin will have an uphill struggle trying to beat it, especially at this price.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barshaker wrote:
Golfshot for the iPhone is £17, has 22,000 courses throughout the world (including every UK course I know of) and is simply brilliant. Garmin will have an uphill struggle trying to beat it, especially at this price.

but how much did the iphone cost? is it waterproof? is it 'rugged'? does it have an accurate gps chip?

Wink

horses for courses i suppose, but yes, there ARE alternatives.

MaFt
mikeprytherch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: GPS for Golf - Yes Please Reply with quote

I use my iPhone today, the stats are great and the distance is accurate due to the fact its normally very open, however MaFt's points are true, Battery is an issue (although extended batteries are good for this), but rain is a real problem. To me Golf is a game about being able to hit a ball and not about judging distance by eye, something a Professional never does by the way ! The stats have helped me analyse my game and to show me my weak points, something which isn't totally obvious.

However.... I do think these devices are over priced and could be sold cheaper !
TechnoPrisoners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Garmin Approach G3 and G5 are USGA and R&A approved Reply with quote

Low cost smart phone apps are great for practice rounds, butiphone apps are not approved by USGA or R&A for use as an aid in a competition which is being run under their rules. This usually includes club competitions. Pity that the ruling bodies have not approved smart phone apps for competitions as the current situation plays into the hands of the manufacturers of expensive dedicated devices.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: