Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Navman Mio models announced - Spirit 470, 475 and 575
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Navman Mio models announced - Spirit 470, 475 and 575

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: New Navman Mio models announced - Spirit 470, 475 and 575 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comNavman have announced three new PNDs for the European market.

The Navman 470, Navman 475 and Navman 575 are unusual in that they are the first third party devices to use TomTom's IQ Routes data technology which has been licensed by Mio.

The 470 and 475 have a 4.3" screen whilst the 575 has a 4.7" screen. Other features of this range include one years traffic and safety camera data, SiRFStar InstantFix and support for Google's SendToGPS facility.

Mio have struggled to make headway in the European market since their acquisition of Navman but these new models are aggressively priced and may persuade customers to give them a go. The Navman 470 starts at £99 with Western Europe map data and the premium 575 has an RRP of £149.99.

All three models launch in May. For more information see eu.mio.com.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the lack of comments no one is going to buy one of these, i guess thats what you get for no free map updates and no support for the units in the past... or is that a bit harsh....
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Updates Reply with quote

Think you are right. I prefer the Navman mapping display to any of the others, but they just offer little support and map updates just don't materialise

If I thought I would get a 2010 map version update download on purchase and confidence in their map renewal service, I would get one

For the moment I will leave it on the self
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a real shame to see how badly Mio have handled the Navman brand. Navman was my first ever mapping GPS and they used to have a leading product.

Sadly they started to fall behind a few years back and the lack of on-going support for their products let a lot of customers down quite badly.

Love 'em or loathe them, Garmin and TomTom have in many cases continued to provide software and map updates for older devices.

With the release of Navman's Spirit range I think we all hoped it would see a resurgence but it appears to have been too little too late. Mio have done nothing to improve matters, indeed they have in my opinion fatally damaged the brand.

How long will it be before Navman is no more?
martinloat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
With the release of Navman's Spirit range I think we all hoped it would see a resurgence but it appears to have been too little too late. Mio have done nothing to improve matters, indeed they have in my opinion fatally damaged the brand.

How long will it be before Navman is no more?

I bought my wife a Spirit for her birthday (sorry couldn't resist Laughing ) and it performs very well and feels like a quality product to handle (I don't know about you but some TomTom's and Garmins feel very "plasticky" to me especially given their price).
I have a couple of niggles (compared to my TomTom) mainly to do with volume and having to feed each PocketGPS speed camera file in individually as a POI but the unit performs flawlessly as a GPS with fast aquisition and minimal lag when whipping round a series of corners.
If you're not the sort of person who updates maps with any frequency and you see one of these on offer my advice is:- have it.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Navman Reply with quote

martinloat I think you are right, providing you have little intention of doing map updates - and most users never do - the new Mio Navman S575 unit at £120 or so is a bargain

Navman always have good routing, and all round its a very complete mid-range system for the money

Darren was promising to go off with his review unit a few weeks ago... I think he fell in love with it and hasn't returned!!!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just seen the halfords offer www.mio.com/2years4free offering 2 years free map updates if you register. comdined with a good price this makes the unit very attractive.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Free Maps Reply with quote

Good find - and its back dated to 1st June 2010 onwards

On bad news is its only for Argos or Halfords customers, which doesn't seem right... Mio Navman needs to support their independents too

Still good deal like you say as really nice units for the money, and as always Navman routing is pretty decent compared to many

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: