Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM 910 - problem with rds-tmc aerial connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM 910 - problem with rds-tmc aerial connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM 910 - problem with rds-tmc aerial connection Reply with quote

I have bought a GO910 which I am very happy with and have recently purchased a rds-tmc aerial which appears not to be working properly? When I plug it in the GO910 recognises that it has been connected and then searches to tune it in and continues to fail as all I can see is the top circle spinning in quarter orange segmemts. 1/4. 1/2.3/4 & 1/1 and back to 1/4....

The model of aerial I have purchased is a 4V00.013 - is this okay?
I believe that the satnav has the very latest software loaded.
Help Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, getting a signal can be quite good fun depending upon a couple of factors:

1/ Type of windscreen, if its made from Athermic glass then you will have to connect the receivers aerial to the car aerial which is quite easy to do.

2/ Location, certain parts of the UK still suffer from poor signal coverage, where are you trying to use the receiver? - Mike
flatout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
I am based in Lincolnshire, near Sleaford, the strange thing is that I did borrow a friends GO530 with rds and it worked first time in my car with the aerial stuck on the inside of the windscreen. I decided to opt for the G0910 as it was at a great price and had europe mapping too.

Is it okay that the orange circle ticks round in 1/4 segments? I guess that is showing that the aerial is hunting for a signal? Do you know the frequency that the rds needs? I think it is 100.5mhz but I guess it varies around the country being the classic fm channel.

I assume that the satnav's latest software is compatable with the rds aerial - I believe it has to be at least 6.5.1 of the Tom Tom application whatever that means? I think mine is 7 something?

I would be very interested to know how to connect the satnav/ rds aerial to the car radio aerial.

Many thanks - please send me as much info as poss as it is much appreciated.

regards, Adrian Very Happy
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I , along with others had this problem. I solved it on my 910 by following an answer from this forum a while ago. open up your mctx file with windows and if it reads gibberish characters and symbols , or just 22220, then delete the data and replace it with 11110. TT found and held traffic signal straight away.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian, check out the post by tenorplayer as that might explain one of the issues with your set up, I have sent you a POI file by e-mail that you can use on the device to find out what the local Tx frequency is and some links where you will find how to use it on the device.

The Orange rotating disk means your device looking for a signal so at least it is communicating with the RDS receiver, if the mctx file is gibberish then it won't know what to look for so check that first, Sleaford isn't bad for reception at all as I pass through there quite often, its certainly not a well known blackspot for signal coverage - Mike
flatout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your valuable help. Sorry to be a pain but can you let me know how I load the POI file from my computer onto the satnav - please treat me as a total novice I won't be insulted? many thanks, Adrian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: