Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert v1.0.1 has been approved
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert v1.0.1 has been approved
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news yet on 1.0.2
Thanks
Nobber
Nobber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news on when 1.0.2 will be available

thanks
Nobber
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. when it's ready and been tested.

Shocked

MaFt
Nobber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that, perhaps you should spend even more time testing this version than 1.0.0 and 1.0.1

I don't mind waiting if you get it right on the third attempt, after all I've been waiting nearly a month for a working version

Nobber
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might your problem have something to do with you running the iPhone jailbroken?

Not that I can offer any solution, as I don't have the faintest idea what "jailbreak" is. Simply have noticed comments from PGPSW which lead me to think the modification can lead to unstability. My iPhone is completely untampered with (not least because I have no idea how to tamper with it!) and it runs CamerAlert perfectly. I've not seen any other posts from people with the app not working at all, so it does look like maybe your iPhone setup is somewhat flakey.

How about disabling the jailbreak to see how CamerAlert runs in the unbroken mode? Then you can decide whether jailbreak or CamerAlert is your preference.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Nobber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Thanks for the reply, it's possible that its Jailbreak related, but I believe there are other Jailbreakers who are running the software without issues, I can't really unjailbreak at the moment

Thanks again for the sensible response

Nobber
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I have no idea about jailbreak. Maybe you break yours differently if there are varieties of breaking?

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I wouldn't rely on pgpsw fixing your problem with 1.0.2 either. I understand that Apple don't approve of jailbreaking and I'd guess pgpsw don't design CamerAlert to tolerate it - even if they did, I suppose Apple wouldn't approve the release if its purpose was to support jailbroken iPhones.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobber wrote:
thanks for that, perhaps you should spend even more time testing this version than 1.0.0 and 1.0.1

I don't mind waiting if you get it right on the third attempt, after all I've been waiting nearly a month for a working version

Nobber

the thing is, apple only allow about 60 devices to test the app on. the issues seen upon release were NOT seen in the testing.

to imply we did not test is simply wrong and rather unfair to the programmer.

can i ask if you've sent your crash logs in to the team so we can look at your specific issue?

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently he's already sent in the crash logs MaFt (see his earlier replies). I still reckon it's down to running his iPhone jailbroken and as I said before....
Quote:
decide whether jailbreak or CamerAlert is your preference.
because it looks like the choice at the moment is one or the other.

Edit to add We don't support hacked maps on satnavs, I can't see how we can support hacked phones either - that seems like "Do it at your own peril".

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Apparently he's already sent in the crash logs MaFt (see his earlier replies).

ok, missed those!

DennisN wrote:
We don't support hacked maps on satnavs, I can't see how we can support hacked phones either.

it's not really the same though. hacked maps are outright illegal. a hacked phone is somewhat different.

the reason i initially jailbroke my iphone was to free up space. by having access to the file structure it allowed me to remove a load of maps that would not be needed - eg igo and sygic western EU versions i would only ever need uk, germany and spain so i freed up a few gigabytes (a good proportion of an 8gb device) simply by removing a few folders from the app. non-jailbroken does NOT allow this.

jailbreaking alone is not enough to fudge CamerAlert. running other apps in the background may cause an issue (memory) and it could also simply be that we missed this particular bug (sorry, not got access to the crash logs sent by 'Nobber') as i know a few other bugs have been squashed with the latest development build. basically, it depends exactly what is being run on a jailbroken device as to whether it could cause any issues.

MaFt
Nobber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt, Thanks for the response and for failing to be "reeled in" by my comments Very Happy (although they were driven by your initial response)

I did email crash logs and got a speedy response from Lutz, he said "it would seem to have been fixed by 1.0.2 which will be out soon"

I appreciate your comments about developers (we have about 40 in our company) and a seperate testing team and we still get it wrong from time to time, either from poor coding or testing and sometimes because we just don't have time

I am certain its not the jailbreak thats causing the problem, but I could be wrong!

Re Jailbreaking:I just didn't like to be tied to itunes to buy my apps, there is a whole world of software out there...
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Apparently he's already sent in the crash logs MaFt (see his earlier replies). I still reckon it's down to running his iPhone jailbroken and as I said before....
Quote:
decide whether jailbreak or CamerAlert is your preference.
because it looks like the choice at the moment is one or the other.

Edit to add We don't support hacked maps on satnavs, I can't see how we can support hacked phones either - that seems like "Do it at your own peril".

My iphone is not jailbroken and suffered what sounds like the same problems as Nobber after the first day's use of 1.0.1. Logs sent to the team and patiently awaiting a new release. As posted elsewhere, they appear to have found a problem (anyone else on Orange with problems?)

What _seems_ to be happening is some kind of DNS issue. When the application starts it asks the server if a newer database version is available (so that it can then alert you in the list view). It looks like for a few users that network connection fails, and in a way that is not recoverable. (Ironically we are using Apple's code for the network reachability check). This theory seems to be confirmed by reports that "it works over WiFi but not 3G" as these most certainly use different parts of the internet, and different DNS servers.
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at getting IPAD for navigation (yes I know its big, I like that idea) anyway if I get one of the turn by turn applications, liking NDRive but maybe Navigon or Co-pilot.....where does the speed camera app fit in, do you not then have camera alerts when navigating a route as IPAD is non multitasking or do just use camerapp itself only if not routing ???
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have the same options as with the iPhone. Unless you jailbreak you can only use either or.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: