Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon announce MobileNavigator 1.5 iPhone at MacWorld
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon announce MobileNavigator 1.5 iPhone at MacWorld

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Navigon announce MobileNavigator 1.5 iPhone at MacWorld Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comYesterday at the MacWorld Expo in San Francisco Navigon announced the latest additions to the iPhone Mobile Navigator software. The big ticket items in this release are: Panorama View in 3D; Personalised Routes; and Social Networking interface.

The Panorama View 3D provides a 3D rendering of the terrain ahead based on DEM date provided by NASA. This is a $9.99 in-app purchase option and the data is integrated on the iPhone so does not incur any additional charges in use.

The personalised routing is based on an analysis of driving habits, time of day and a number of other factors. Taking all this into account the system will present you with a selection of 3 routes allowing you a choice of routing to your destination.

The social media interface allows you to post your travel details with just a single click onto either Facebook or Twitter. You also have the ability to include some editable text with the post.

Interestingly the Mobile Navigator product is beginning to look like a custom built navigation system, where you buy the core navigation engine and maps then, with in-app purchases add on the additional features you want to get your SatNav configured to your precise requirements.

This announcement was specific to the US iPhone version of the Navigon's MobileNavigator but it is expected that the same functionality will be available on Android and Windows Mobile Platforms and in other regions too.

View large images

The full Navigon press release follows:

NAVIGON Announces iPhone App Update with 3D Terrain Views, Social Media Integration and Intelligent Routing
First Navigation App to Integrate Twitter and Facebook Functionalities

Macworld Expo and Conference, Moscone Center, San Francisco, CA (February 9, 2010)—NAVIGON AG, the leading provider of mobile phone on-board navigation,today announced a significant update for MobileNavigator, the most feature-rich navigation app available on the iPhone platform. Extending comprehensive functionality, the update adds three innovative features: in-app Connection to Facebook and Twitter, Panorama View 3D with 3D terrain views powered by NASA data, and personalized route delivery via NAVIGON MyRoutes, an intelligent direction provider. NAVIGON is showcasing the update prior to its launch in spring at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco, February 11-13, booth #575.

“NAVIGON, an industry first to launch an on-board navigation app on the iPhone platform, remains ahead of the competition by consistently delivering first to market, full-feature updates. Apple’s App Store is ideal for delivering our latest innovations to our users," said Gerhard Mayr, vice-president worldwide mobile phones & new markets, NAVIGON. "The upcoming fifth version not only redefines routing capabilities on the iPhone platform but also integrates social media connectivity, and outstanding, reliable 3D environment views.”

Further enhancing the proficient iPhone connectivity capabilities, MobileNavigator allows users to broadcast current position, destination and ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) to favorite social media outlets, Twitter and Facebook, without navigation interruption. The easy access in-app icons seamlessly launch and the Twitter feature automatically limits input to the maximum 140, and provides a character countdown.

Complementing the elegant iPhone UI, Panorama View 3D delivers 3D map views through digitized cartography rendered from NASA’s height and terrain data. The full 3D view delivers an accurate depiction of surrounding environment, and what lies ahead with digital landscapes that include elevations, shadows, and geographic images. Panorama View 3D is integrated in-map, independent from the phone’s data connection.

NAVIGON MyRoutes takes personalized route recommendations to a new level with intelligent, customized direction planning. The feature analyzes individual driving data and designs customized routes. Up to three choices with distance and ETA are clearly displayed in-map for each. One primary recommendation based on the user’s driving habits, the day of week and time of travel is provided and the additional two alternatives provide options to choose a preferred route.

MobileNavigator transforms the iPhone into an inclusive navigation device that relies on the GPS receiver, independent from a cell or wireless signal, to provide the most feature rich on-board navigation application. MobileNavigator offers a familiar, yet streamlined user interface that offers intuitive visual feedback and readily accessible connected features, which takes the efficiency of mobile navigation to new heights. It is the only on-board iPhone navigation app available that includes Google Local Search, Reality View™ Pro, branded in-route POI’s, seamless in-app iPod controls, enhanced pedestrian mode, Traffic Live, and soon in-app social media connectivity in one application.

NAVIGON is dedicated to delivering premium navigation software for multiple mobile phone platforms. The company recently launched MobileNavigator for Windows Phone and announced an application for Android phones. According to the latest market data from Canalys, NAVIGON is the industry leader of on-board/perpetual navigation solutions for mobile phones in the U.S. with a market share of 23 percent.

Version 1.5.0 Feature Highlights:

Connection to Facebook and Twitter: A simple icon tap posts users current position, destination, and ETA without navigation interruption.

Panorama View 3D: True 3D in-map views obtained from NASA’s height and terrain data enable intuitive orientation of surrounding environment, and what lies ahead with digital landscape elevations, shadows, and geographic images. Panorama View 3D is integrated in-map, independent from the phone’s data connection. The Panorama View 3D feature will be available via an In App Purchase.

NAVIGON MyRoutes: Analyzes driving habits, patterns, location, time/day and provides up to three routes clearly displayed in-map with ETA, distance and driving times for each.

Pricing and Availability
MobileNavigator is available for $89.99 in the Apple App Store and is equipped with maps of North America from NAVTEQ®. Special Macworld promotion: MobileNavigator for $69.99 and one time In App Purchase Traffic Live for $19.99 (regularly $24.99) from February 5-15. Panorama View 3D will be available via an In App Purchase for $9.99.

Besides being available for the iPhone 3G and 3GS, the NAVIGON app also runs on first-generation iPhone or an iPod Touch. Additional accessories are required for GPS navigation on these devices.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.5 release will be submitted to appstore, late march, apparently!

Can't see us getting it before April! Evil or Very Mad

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
1.5 release will be submitted to appstore, late march, apparently!

Can't see us getting it before April! Evil or Very Mad

Maybe not as the PR says "...from February 5-15. Panorama View 3D will be available via an In App Purchase for $9.99" Implying that it has already been submitted. this may of course be for the US app only.

We will find out more next week when we have an interview with Navigon at Mobile World congress.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panoramio MAY be available in february but the app that can run it might not Wink

navigon is probably one of my faves for the iphone but on the 3G it is already pretty sluggish.. i dont think i will get the panaramio add on while i own a 3G. 3GS should be better though.

MaFt
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Maybe not as the PR says...

I cirtainly would hope so but that little snippet is popping up all over the Navigon Facebook Fan page.

Quote:
NAVIGON We are expecting the update 1.5.0 in spring.

Quote:
NAVIGON We will submitt the update end of march to apple (we don´t know how long the approval will last)

Quote:
NAVIGON The new update will be available in spring. Panaroma View3D will be available for all versions in all countries.

Quote:
NAVIGON JFYI: We are still working on it ;-)

Mabye you could ask them next week for something more concrete?

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or better this:
Quote:
Joe Bloggs NAME CHANGED v1.5.0 of the iPhone app for US says it will be available as an in app purchase after Feb 5th... It is not showing up. Any Ideas Navigon??

Quote:
NAVIGON Hi JOE, there is a little misunderstanding. We have not announced the update for today. We´ve just anounced what the next update will be (because it is Macworld 2010)

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suppose May 31st 2012 is after Feb 5th... Razz
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know where the myroutes data comes from?

It does give you the option of time of day, intimating it is an IQ routes-a-like.

As far as I know they don't use Navteq Traffic Patterns, so i'm wondering if it is Inrix historical data they use.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrengsaw wrote:

I did read somewhere it has time of day options but not sure at the moment how that is implmented but the rest of the data will be historical, built up from your own driving patterns and past journies. The basic settings are Quickest/Shortests/Economy but will be augmented with your own style. This is pretty clever stuff IF it works!

jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
darrengsaw wrote:

I did read somewhere it has time of day options but not sure at the moment how that is implmented but the rest of the data will be historical, built up from your own driving patterns and past journies. The basic settings are Quickest/Shortests/Economy but will be augmented with your own style. This is pretty clever stuff IF it works!

MyRoutes takes all the time of day / historical data into account and over time will use the information from your own driving to adjust the routes (not clear how long that takes though).
I know after a while my 8450 started to direct me on roads I normally drive anyway instead of the route it wanted to take me 'out of the box'
gajet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This update is now available on the app store.

(Edit: Laughing Out Loud completely failed to see the other thread)
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: It's here 30 march 2010 Reply with quote

Well that didn't take long to appear on the AppStore. Just installed the update today 1.5 . Cost of the 3D view was only £6.99 size of the download 245MB and it looks lovely. Now i have all that i need from this great SatNav. Traffic which works great in London. A lickable 3D map and finally installed Roqybluetooth which works a treat with my GlobalSAT BT-359 GPS receiver. A happy happy Navigon user

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Fylde coast where I live and commute daily the terain is totally flat so to see this in action a trip to either the Lakes or the Dales at weekend is going to be in order - We only have one hill in Blackpool of any note and it did nothing earlier when I drove 5 miles to it in the hope the screen might offer something different - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
We only have one hill in Blackpool of any note and it did nothing earlier when I drove 5 miles to it in the hope the screen might offer something different - Mike

how on earth did you get your car onto the pepsi max big one?!

MaFt
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

On the Fylde coast where I live and commute daily the terain is totally flat so to see this in action a trip to either the Lakes or the Dales at weekend is going to be in order - We only have one hill in Blackpool of any note and it did nothing earlier when I drove 5 miles to it in the hope the screen might offer something different - Mike

Yeah you are right . A trip to the countryside is in order. Although most of my work is spent travelling within London suburbs . I do have clients out in the sticks in Essex and had a job planned to a place called Cuffley in Hertfordshire. So i was lucky to catch this update today before leaving for the job. The terrain is quite hilly with lots of open fields and the Panorama View 3D was very impressive the shadowing effect really enhances the sense of 3D. I only wish now that my iphone screen was a little larger. I have seen a YouTube video showing the "Real City 3D" feature from Navigon and as I live in London it would be an ideal place to witness its ability.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: