Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom x50 Range Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom x50 Range Reviewed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devolution
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree as well, and I prefer a cheaper device over a device that tries to do too much especially when I already have a decent radio/multimedia system in the car, and a smartphone for sharing photos and documents. Much prefer TomTom to concentrate on the navigation and traffic features. Smile

I've not noticed any particular problems or slowdown in calculating routes on my 930 and I've had it a while now.
Bullen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 750 Live Reply with quote

Hi All. Great review of this satnav. I purchased one at Christmas and drive 30,000 miles plus per year. The HD Traffic is totally brilliant and the Google search very useful. The weather feature is a bit useless and inaccurate. There are two big problems with this stanav though. Firstly the speed cameras are miles out of date and do not compare to the database provided by Pocket GPS World. Secondly the memory is very low especially as the map takes up virtually all of this. Tomtom have had problems with map updates and the map update I downloaded at Christmas was too big to fit on the unit. The support at Tomtom is very hit and miss, some advisors really know the problems but others are clueless. Overall a great satnav but not without its complications.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: x50 series Reply with quote

nickjwhite wrote:
Hey...It's great to see that there are people out there with money to burn.

I am still using my original Go, which I have to say has never given me any trouble at all for many years. The maps get updated 4 times a year

If money's tight (when isn't it!), why update the maps four times a year? Most people don't find many differences between successive versions.

A couple of people on the forums recently have said what they do is save the money they would have spent on the map updates for a couple of years and that almost covers the price of a new machine (which of course comes with the latest maps).
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: x50 series Reply with quote

I have replaced my 940 with the 950, and my unit is slightly different to the one reviewed.

Firstly my unit came with a desk stand / dock identical to the 940, and not just a connection cable as detailed in your review and on the tom tom web site, I was only expecting the cable but was delighted to get a dock.

Secondly the menu system is also very similar to my previous 940, and all the menus, for example, the eco route / fastest route selections are written descriptions with tick boxes rather than as your review icons / brief descriptions. I wonder if there is a setting I have missed.

And last and a bit annoyingly, I can not find were the menu selection to attach an icon to your most visited location is, as detailed in your review when you first switched on your unit. I can't remember being asked, and I can't find it in the menu (Sorry missed the post by Darren, found this deep hidden function now)

Last edited by Curious on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Yeshpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip. Do I simply move the map from the main drive to the micro SD?

Cheers

Paul
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One option to speed the re-planning up is to put the map on a high speed MicroSD card, a good quality Class 6 or Class 8 and it will be faster

Any suggestions for mfg and/or retailer? The web is full of them, but finding a 'good quality Class 6 or Class 8' is proving difficult - how do you tell, without referral?

If no other recommendation, then this one seems OK...HERE

And, having bought one, does one just put the map on the card or copy the whole hard drive to the card and delete the map from the hard drive?
devolution
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just copy the map folder (eg: UK_and_Ireland_map) to the memory card and delete it from hard drive. (Do a backup first! - or perhaps just rename the original map folder until you've tested loading of the copied map. If you move the program files as well it will probably result in an error.
devolution
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For memory cards just be aware of fakes. There are just as many fakes out there as real ones, many even come in what looks like original packaging, and are very hard to tell the difference. (Auction sites are the worst!) The one you link to is on amazon but amazon is not the seller. I always get mine from play.com or 7dayshop.com, can recommend both as supplier of good memory cards over the years. You may pay a bit more but you know it is less likely to fail, or only give you half the capacity it states before becoming unstable/losing data.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that information. I have an account with 7 day shop, so have ordered a transcend 4Gb Class 6 card from them. Yes, a little bit more expensive than through Amazon, but that's the insurance you pay for a well known retailer.
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on then I'll ask it.....

Can a x50 series software run on an x40 series device (in theory of course as it may not ne the right thing to do.... ) Wink
mikeprytherch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: MP3 Missing ! Reply with quote

I use the MP3 all the time, I have it bluetoothed into the Car Headset so I get directions and music from TomTom via my stero, I will not be upgrading, taking stuff away is a bad move.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget people... this is a review topic.
If you've got a question or problem that's not directly to do with the review, you can easily start your own topic using the "New Topic" button at the top left of every page.

Makes it much easier to see the questions and answers than having them all jumbled up together.
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Micro SD Cards Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Thanks for all that information. I have an account with 7 day shop, so have ordered a transcend 4Gb Class 6 card from them. Yes, a little bit more expensive than through Amazon, but that's the insurance you pay for a well known retailer.

I always use PicStop. Sometimes cards get sent from the Channel Islands and are tax-free. I always get an excellent service from them. Use this link: http://www.picstop.co.uk/?source=adwords&id=1002&kw=picstop&gclid=CIzuif673aACFUWZ2AodUVCS4A
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - I could have saved £2 for the same device. Still, it's only money!
So, back to the topic. Have now had my 950 for a couple of weeks and, on balance, am very impressed.
I can do without the FM transmitter - just.
I hope the purchase of a micro card to take the Map will speed up route calculation & re-calculation.
It came with a N. American map, which I can do without, so will probably delete it. Lot more room then.
Safety camera pois, not as comprehensive as PGPSW - goes without saying really, but adequate.
I need to know if I can use the live services in the rest of Europe, if not that is a considerable minus. I have not used them before and am getting addicted to them Wink
I've had a couple of screen freezes, where the GPS signal has been lost. That's never happened on my 730T.
All minor items, really but something that needs to be addressed.

Graham
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
I need to know if I can use the live services in the rest of Europe

Yes you can as the x50 devices were shipped with roaming enabled so they will work across Europe, note the Live services will only work in countries that support the Live service so not all countries are included as yet - Check as to which ones are via the TT web site - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: