Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom x50 Range Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom x50 Range Reviewed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM 750 Reply with quote

Hi Darren,
Many thanks for an excellent review - just what I needed. I have been dithering about buying a sat nav for quite a while and nearly bought the 740 but then the 750 arrived and when I checked out reviews I was disturbed and put off by the negative comments relating to the amount of on board memory provided which has resulted in dozens of users facing a "useless" product because of jammed memory when updating maps. This may not seem like an issue to someone like yourself who is "sat nav savvy" but I have never had one and find the thought of the hassle I have read about quite daunting. Can I, therefore, ask a few questions?
1) Has anyone in PGW produced a definitive procedure for starting up a 750 for the first time to avoid the "hassle"?
2) The 750 comes with Road Angel safety camera info (I have used a Road Angel Compact successfully for many years so am attracted by this). How does your Camera Alert product interface with Road Angel info on the 750? Does it run alongside it or replace it (I assume the 2 products are compatible?)
Thanks again for the Newsletter and Reviews.
jack.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TOM TOM 750 Reply with quote

jackbarry wrote:
I have been dithering about buying a sat nav for quite a while and nearly bought the 740 but then the 750 arrived and when I checked out reviews I was disturbed and put off by the negative comments relating to the amount of on board memory provided which has resulted in dozens of users facing a "useless" product because of jammed memory when updating maps.

Ther really is no justification for such issues. If memory is limited then a £10 memory card would solve all the issues.
Quote:
1) Has anyone in PGW produced a definitive procedure for starting up a 750 for the first time to avoid the "hassle"?

I'm not sure what hassle you refer to but we always advise a full backup is taken when you get a new TomTom. That is a simple procedure. Indeed it is point 1 in our TomTom FAQ's here.
Quote:

2) The 750 comes with Road Angel safety camera info (I have used a Road Angel Compact successfully for many years so am attracted by this). How does your Camera Alert product interface with Road Angel info on the 750? Does it run alongside it or replace it (I assume the 2 products are compatible?)

Our data is a good deal better than RA's in its TomTom incarnation. I've not used an RA as a standalone device but I have no reason to disbelieve those who have and say that the data is much better on their standalone devices. Somewhere in the chain data is lost on the TT version.

You can happily run both ours and TomTom's camera data together. It will at least demonstrate how poor the data can be but may well leaf to annoyance after a while. But it is easy to disable the LIVE safety camera data anyway.
Screamer777
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly OT, but does anyone know how to reset the "School" and "Work" places once the unit has been used once.... I set it up when I got my 750 but now my work has moved and I just cant seem to find anywhere to change them.

Cheers, S
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being totally independant, I recommend this site's camera database against any other. You can leave both of them enabled but will find the supplied one woefully lacking in every respect. Best just to install the database from here in the map folder and turn off or deselect the inbuilt ones. I use the paid SatNav fron the Live subscription but it is still way out of date. They will work together but the supplied one is not necessary.
On the 750, I believe the inbuilt memory is 2GB which is pretty full. My 950 has 4Gb and I have on there both full Europe and North America mapping and still have about 350Mb free. Space is not a problem.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
On the 750, I believe the inbuilt memory is 2GB which is pretty full. My 950 has 4Gb and I have on there both full Europe and North America mapping and still have about 350Mb free. Space is not a problem.

Indeed, I have listed the relevant flash memory capacity on the review but it would perhaps be useful to add what the available space is that remains on these out of the box.

I have a 550 and 950 so can anyone tell me what the available space is on a 750?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamer777 wrote:
Slightly OT, but does anyone know how to reset the "School" and "Work" places once the unit has been used once.... I set it up when I got my 750 but now my work has moved and I just cant seem to find anywhere to change them.

You'll be forgiven for missing it, it's far from obvious:

Menu | Preferences | Start-Up Preferences

Select - Ask for a destination.

That will kick off the bit where it asks if you wish to use the fixed locations system and allow you to choose them.

Last edited by Darren on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo the comments on your review. Great. I've had the 950 Live for a week now and am hugely impressed. I've seen the question (above) about roaming in Europe. I hope to use this in Europe shortly and would be interested in the answer.
I was disappointed that the Media Music facility had been dropped and with it the ability to use my radio/speakers for guidance. In a 'noisier than car' Motorhome, that was a distinct advantage.
The dock is so easy to use - one click in and out. Super.
I have yet to load the PGPSW safety camera data, as I wanted to see how good/bad the installed cameras were. I've really not had time to travel far with it and so far only found one camera which should have long since been removed and a local Mobile, which does not exist, but then there is nothing so comprehensive as PGPSW camera data!
I now have a spare GO730T with latest maps and latest cameras loaded. Ebay here I come.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope to use this in Europe shortly and would be interested in the answer.

Just found it - the answer 'Yes', pleases me no end!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
I have yet to load the PGPSW safety camera data

Shocked
Lui-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

I have a 550 and 950 so can anyone tell me what the available space is on a 750?

when I first got it, the first map update did complain of not having enough space to be performed. The system was a few MB short. Running the update items one at a time got me through the small updates, but the first Map update didn't go through - I remember that I had to take some stuff off the TomTom to make space, then put it back on again... a little messy.

Not had to do that with subsequent updates (even with the recent latest map).

On My 750, the maps take up 1752.9MB. The application 38.1MB.

I have a measly 4.3MB of POI & only have Kate as a voice on the system (46.4MB) everything else is standard.

I have 20.8MB Free space... So it's quite a tight fit.

And yes, I know that a simple SDHC card will alleviate this problem.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
I have yet to load the PGPSW safety camera data

Shocked

I will, I will, I will..................... Embarassed It is on all my other hardware. Rolling Eyes
Graham
Yeshpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone from the 700 to 720 and now the 750 live. What is not mentioned in the review is that as the models have progressed they have become slower and less responsive. The 750 I think is trying to do too much. Planning/replanning a route is very slow and when you are in town this is very frustrating. You have to park up, let it replan then continue. Also as a new user to the iPhone, I now realise how unresponsive and poor the touch screen is on the 750. I agree the Google search is great and overall I'll stick with the 750, but next time I will look at other options.
Screamer777
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: @Darren Reply with quote

Thank you mate, I've been looking for that for about 2 months now! Smile
devolution
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that the 950 is the only one in the x50 series to use EPT as well?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeshpaul wrote:
The 750 I think is trying to do too much. Planning/replanning a route is very slow and when you are in town this is very frustrating. You have to park up, let it replan then continue.

One option to speed the re-planning up is to put the map on a high speed MicroSD card, a good quality Class 6 or Class 8 and it will be faster.

As for the x50 "trying to do too much" I fully agree, but this issue also affects the x20, x30 and x40 devices, they have all grown slower since the introduction of IQ Routes and then further slowed down by IQ Routes - II - If you have a 720 try putting your day01 back up on it and see how it behaves, its like a different device (I did this only the other week to try it).

As for the loss of the FM Tx option mentioned earlier, this is down to the EU guidelines concerning use of FM Tx, a device is not allowed to transmit carrier with no actual sound - IF the mp3 player were still to be fitted then they could have got around the FM Tx issue in the same way the implemented it on the x20/ x30 range. My view is they removed the mp3 player as the processor was getting to heavilly loaded, without mp3 capability the FM Tx was a dead duck - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: