Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8450 first impressions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8450 first impressions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, I would be very sceptical about the re-routing and in the event whilst on the diversion the incident is cleared, its too much of an open ended book.
How often do you see motorway overhead displays give warnings only to find its a non event, so if they can't always get it right who can.

Con.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Con. That's really why I opt for divert 'On Request' rather than 'Automatically', because it leaves the decision with me. Diversions are not such a problem on UK motorways for instance, where junctions are relatively close together, but particularly on the continent where they can be 50/100 miles apart, once you come off your fate is sealed. Last year I ignored a 40-minute delay warning in southern France and sailed through nothing when I got there. But I guess if there was a clear warning of a MASSIVE holdup say 10 miles away I'd definitely want to know.

But I would say in the UK it's more practical generally to accept a diversion. And especially with the Live Traffic module, with its actual traffic monitoring (assuming enough drivers are allowing their travel status info to upload to Navigon's traffic provider's server) as well as the normal service transmissions, I would have expected the information to be rather more reliable.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said earlier I was waiting for an integrated Live version of the 8450, so I asked Navigon about it. Just got this reply if anyone is interested. Presumably some way off ...
Quote:
It is not planned for the NAVIGON 8450 to integrate the Live module.

It is quite possible that in a later model, the module is already integrated. However the development of such a device is still continuing. Therefore, we can not say yet a release date for it.
Hopefully by the time it arrives I can safely upgrade without too much bunny from 'er indoors ("you're not buying another satnav are you - what about the kids' inheritance?")
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt we will see a 8450 model with integrated live module, but I know for a fact Navigon are aware that people would prefer it integrated.
No guarantee it will ever actually appear.
All I can say is I may be able to find out, but unfortunately won't be able to tell anyone on here Sad
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can post a nodding/shaking head smiley for us? Slip of the keyboard, perhaps? Rolling Eyes
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first signs of an integrated model will be pre-empted by a marked reduction in the current model and for the separate module .. Methinks Wink

Con.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where IS the best place for this Confused ??

Maps for 2010 Q1 released today - and I didn't have to reload all my POI-Warner files either Exclamation

Razz Razz
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from press releases and services on the German site that some tourist guidey things are starting to appear, some with ViaMichelin input. Maybe some of them will make their way over here IDC.
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the 21st March now ....... whats the latest news with the 8450, I'll be ready to take the plunge shortly, or should I wait for the new 8480.

Con.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conjopley wrote:
Its the 21st March now ....... whats the latest news with the 8450, I'll be ready to take the plunge shortly, or should I wait for the new 8480.

Con.

As in?
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
I doubt we will see a 8450 model with integrated live module, but I know for a fact Navigon are aware that people would prefer it integrated.
All I can say is I may be able to find out, but unfortunately won't be able to tell anyone on here Sad

Reflecting on this and the going'Live' in the UK. Is it up and running fully or Nah, I can wait as the car has an inbuilt unit thats reasonable but past its sell by date.
------ And you can ring me at home if its a secret Wink

Con.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conjopley wrote:
jonandmarkuk wrote:

Reflecting on this and the going'Live' in the UK. Is it up and running fully or Nah, I can wait as the car has an inbuilt unit thats reasonable but past its sell by date.
------ And you can ring me at home if its a secret Wink

Con.

The Live features are now fully up and running in the UK. Traffic LIVE has been active for about a month now and working quite well. Traffic LIVE gives the same information as TMC, but doesn't suffer the same black spots (unless your unluckly enough to be in a mobile phone black spot).
In addition floating car data from traffic master and other Navigon LIVE users is shared via the system.

New models maybe coming, but new models are introduced all the time. I may have some idea of new models / features coming but I can't share.
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the update and I know one can go on forever waiting for a model on the horizon, but it would really hack me off as when a new model is introduced a reduction in the previous model ensues.

Con.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conjopley wrote:
Appreciate the update and I know one can go on forever waiting for a model on the horizon, but it would really hack me off as when a new model is introduced a reduction in the previous model ensues.

Con.

I know the feeling, if your not in a hurry just keep an eye out for press releases.
Navigon are very active on Facebook and Twitter for press release information.

The 8450 is a VERY nice device though. When you get used to the very sensitive touch screen you find other screens frustrating to use.

It all depends what you want from your Sat Nav, for me I just love gadgets and new things Smile
PhilAsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just purchased a 8450 and I am very happy with it.
I have found no big issues at all so far, and people always comment on how cool/sexy/funky (take your pick) it looks.
Map updates, quick and painless.

My only gripe so far is that the online keyboard is abcdef rather then qwerty. The speaker is loud enough, but as I am partially deaf, I would like it just a little louder.
Pretty minor stuff !

It has already found me time saving new routes on 2 journeys, and saved me from a 6 mile queue at some roadworks (My colleague got stuck in them Laughing Out Loud). Not tried the media stuff, but bluetooth works well.

I love it, no way back to a Tomtom now!

Cheers,
Phil.

PS Thanks to jonandmark for answering a couple of questions prior to my purchase!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: