Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IE8 Page refresh
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IE8 Page refresh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: IE8 Page refresh Reply with quote

I suspect that my ISP (Orange) has changed his cacheing system, or a recent 'upgrade' to IE8 has changed it, but I now have to refresh every page that I have visited before manually to get the latest 'take' on it Sad . I seem to remember a setting somewhere that will automatically refresh pages when loaded, but can't find it again Confused . Can anyone please give me a pointer to it?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tools, Internet Options, General Tab, Browsing History section, Settings, Automatically.

Internet Options can also be found under Control Panel on the Start Menu.

However if Orange really is using some sort of cahce then it might not help as it's designed to request a fresh copy from the ISP instead of the internet cache on your PC.

CTRL + F5 will normally force a refresh from the source rather than the ISP cache.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Paul. I knew I'd seen it somewhere. It is currenty set to Automatic. I will try fiddling with the settings later.
The problem is that, for instance, when I opened this thread from the 'New Posts' list this morning, all I had was my post, although the 'New Posts' list showed your reply. I had to refresh (icon by the address bar) before I could see your post. Is this icon the same as f5 or Ctrl f5?
It only started doing this about a week ago, it always used to show the latest, unless, of course, someone replied whilst I was viewing. It does it on both my tower and my lappy, both running vista, so it can't be a setting that I have inadvertently changed on one of them Sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The refresh icon is the same as F5.

Try reducing the size of your intenet cache on the PCs. Underneath Automatically change the amount of disk space to 50 Mb. Also try flushing the internet temp files. If your cache it very big then the PC might be pulling out of date pages from that cache rather than from the ISP, especially if it takes a long time to search through the cache.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a go at your tips later today Paul, thanks. Having said that, since my last post, I set the refresh to 'Every time..webpage' Restarted IE, set it back to 'Automatic' Restarted the computer and it now seems to work OK. I didn't have to refresh this thread to see your post above, which I would have had to have done earlier this morninhg. So, whether it was the changing of the refresh or the restart that fixed it, I don't know. (I usually Hibernate). Will have to try it out step by step on my tower later.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cache was already set to 50Mb
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orange are terrible with this. a friend of mine was on orange and constantly moaned about pages being out of date, accusing me of not updating a website i helped him with etc...

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. FreeServe & Wanadoo were great, but Orange is poor.

The LiveBoxes are / were a joke.

A couple of years ago i got a cluster of calls all within a mile of so of each other. All Orange customers. All could access the same list of websites but not others. Orange blamed the customers PCs and couldn't explain the cluster of customers with the same problems. Most solved it by switching ISP.

My mum had problems with her Orange Broadband connection dropping randomly, but again Ornage claimed this was her PC or router. Switched to BT and not had a problem in 2 years....

Trobleshooting Orange connections is second only to troubleshooting AOL connection problems...
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Yup. FreeServe & Wanadoo were great, but Orange is poor.

Yes, I started with Freeserve
PaulB2005 wrote:

The LiveBoxes are / were a joke.

I don't use it, but would like a second line. It hasn't got enough Ethernet connectors for my use. 2 comps and a NAS drive to my Netgear router and a wireless lappy. The livebox they sent me is the HUGE triangular one and is huge Sad Bit of a dilemma over the second line though.

PaulB2005 wrote:
..... All could access the same list of websites but not others.
I've not had that problem

PaulB2005 wrote:
My mum had problems with her Orange Broadband connection dropping randomly,
Mine has only dropped out about twice since switching to Orange, but both my mate and I (and loads of others) have intermittent problems sending Emails from Outlook. Orange's response, 'Use webmail'. I do't want to use webmail, thank you.
PaulB2005 wrote:
but again Ornage claimed this was her PC or router. ....Trobleshooting Orange connections is second only to troubleshooting AOL connection problems...
Not tried troubleshooting AOL, but it must be really bad to outdo Orange. I have found writing a good old snottogram to C/S (yes, snail mail) gets a good response from a 'dedicated engineer' who actually phoned me, AND phoned me back when he said he would. He told me that writing is the best way of getting help from them, as their system caters for this better than telephone or email.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both now fixed. The number of times I've told people to reboot, and don't seem to be able to follow my own advice. Lappy obviously needed it. Somehow I had obviously inadvertently set the refresh setting to 'Manual' on my tower. Embarassed
The strange thing was, that it I noteced that it was happening on both machines at about the same time.
Thanks for the pointer to where the settigs are Paul.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: