Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 750 map update problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 750 map update problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
briansteele
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: TomTom 750 map update problems Reply with quote

Has any one else had problems updating the maps on the new 750 live? I purchased the map update service to give four updates a year but my device has insufficient memory to update a standard europe map (and I only have application,one standard voice and one computer voice plus zip codes on it).

Tomtom have provided a work round which consists of scrubbing everything off, load the map, use my computer to cannibilize the new map to delete speech files and then put the application, voices and zip codes back on!

I am amazed at the tightness of the memory supplied with the machine (just three months old). I have used Tomtoms for years (this is my fourth) and I have never had such a problem before.

Why on earth did they not give more standard internal memory. I suspect that they will get a lot of complaints as soon as others start updating with the new maps (out 16 February) unless I am missing something.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite correct that this device should have launched with 4GB of built in memory rather than the pathetic 2GB with all its associated limitations. That said you have two options:

1/ Jump through hoops using Home for the download followed by Windows Explorer to prune the files you don't want (or probably need) from the download before installing it to the device using Windows Explorer.

2/ Purchase a 4GB MicroSD card for the device and put the map on the card, this is probably the best option as it will offer further expansion without issues.

If you want specific advice on either option post back as either one is viable, even option 1 is easy but might become tiresome for you doing this every three months - Mike
briansteele
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for prompt response. I understood from TomTom support that Micro SD cards can be used but not Micro SDHC. I have only been able to find Micro SD up to 2gb at first look. Can the MicroSDHC cards be used? When I tried one in the device, it did not recognise it was there!. Are Micro SD cards available up to 4gb?

Still leaves the question as to why the device was issued with only 2gb and why TomTom don't simply issue a memory card with the device (and send out to users with the problem )- the unit is hardly cheap to buy is it?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you were having trouble with the card you tried. I can confirm that microSDHC cards certainly do work in the 940 and I can't imagine the 750 is any different.

I think the confusion arises over the NAMING of the cards.
Normal sized cards started out as "SD cards" and then they invented the "SDHC" ones.
But when they invented the Micro version, they were ALL high density originally, but they didn't bother to call them "MicroHDSC", just "MicroSD" (That's what Wikipaedia says about it anyway!)

So TomTom produced their compatibility chart with the column correctly labelled "MicroSD" and it has caused confusion ever since!
briansteele
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, many thanks for prompt response. I will try another card and see if the one I tried was a rogue card (or possible formatted differently?). Will advise when I have tried for the information of other forum users.

Certainly, if it will work then it will beat the work round which also loses settings of pocketworldgps camera database warnings etc (which is superior to the speed camera database Tomtom supply through live services).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Produced + Compatibility Chart = CONFUSION Shocked

Any x40 or x50 device will support MicroSD or MicroSDHC cards up to a capacity of 32GB, only the 940 warrants the higher capacity though as using a 32GB card in anything else is akin to feeding strawberries to a pig! - Mike
briansteele
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obtained a new micro SDHC card (8GB costing about £12) and the Tomtom recognised it immediately. Tomtom really should supply with the unit but there you go! Many thanks for your help
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem but will post separately, in case the experts think this has been solved.
wolfman1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: tom tom 720 map updates Reply with quote

You got it i bought one and put low briges weight limits truckers cafes plus more tried to update maps and its deleted everyrthink even european maps and uk its dead in the water ive gotta buy a new map card for it now
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a back up of the device on your computer from a point prior to this failure, if not have you ever upgraded the map on the device using the computer because if so it will be possible to rebuild the device without recource to purchasing a new map - Mike
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I have a TT 730 and bought an SD card on which I installed my map update with this forums guidance. Now I am trying to update using one of the quarterly updates and get all sorts of install problems - not enough memory on the card, not enough memory on the TT internal memory etc. In the old days we just downloaded without a problem. Given your post above, what is the easiest and least troublesome method of updating the map every three months on to a memory card?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have the map downloaded to the computer shut down the useless Home software.

Open the download folder using Windows Explorer then use WinRar to extract the downloaded map files straight to your memory card in a suitable card reader, don't forget to also extract the map_activation file from the download folder to the map folder.

This might sound like hard work but in reality it takes a few minutes and it puts the map where you want it not where Home dreams up each time - Mike
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

I have saved this info to my "How to sort out TomTom folder.

I've said it before but I 'll say it again - don't know how we'd manage without you guys.

Regards,

qkjb
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Many apologies for troubling you again but I am having more than the usual problems with downloading this map update. I followed your instructions and un-zipped the map folder to my memory card. When I had done so I got the following error messages

! C:\Users\Quintin\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\Western___Central_Europe_2GB-2\Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.zip: The archive is corrupt

! C:\Users\Quintin\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\Western___Central_Europe_2GB-2\Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.zip: CRC failed in cline.dat. The file is corrupt

! C:\Users\Quintin\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\Western___Central_Europe_2GB-2\Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.zip: CRC failed in cnode.dat. The file is corrupt

Naturally the map is useless. How do I get the wretched thing to download again cleanly?
Sometimes a TomTom is simply more trouble than it is worth and yes, fortunately I do have a backup of the map I deleted to clear space on the memory card.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What software are you using to extract the files? WinRar seems to be the most stable and I have not had a problem using this for years while performing updates/ map changes - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: