Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Level crossings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Level crossings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mudshark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Level crossings Reply with quote

While watching a TV news item the other day about people getting killed on railway level crossings, I was wondering if it might be a good idea to create a database that lists the positions of un manned rail crossings - similar to the camera database to pre warn drivers of a potential hazard ahead.?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Free POIs page, there is a "Level crossing" POI set under the "Transport" option. Currently stands at 1243 as at 19/01/2010.
Brodit ProClip mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Level crossings Reply with quote

Mudshark wrote:
While watching a TV news item the other day about people getting killed on railway level crossings, I was wondering if it might be a good idea to create a database that lists the positions of un manned rail crossings - similar to the camera database to pre warn drivers of a potential hazard ahead.?

It's Darwinism in action, clearing the gene pool of idiots. Drivers who need a POI to warn them of a level crossing should instead have their driving licenses shredded permanently.

If it wasn't for the misery such accidents cause to the train drivers I'd suggest adding spikes to the front of the trains to finish these berks off more quickly and ensure they don't survive to do it again Twisted Evil
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately though, wiping out the drivers sometimes has the side effect of doing the same to their captive passengers.

But if drivers go past a red light at a level crossing, they are still guilty of a red-light offence. I can vouch for that from a near-personal experience some years ago, when I looked at some legal mumbo-jumbo, and the results of a court case.

So redlight cameras installed on unmanned crossings would be quite useful in encouraging such drivers that there is a more sensible option in the circumstances. Of course that's a lot of cameras, and they aren't going to raise too much revenue, so maybe I'm being too cynical in thinking that won't happen.

Still leaves pedestrians of course which doesn't reduce the train driver's trauma much.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Of course that's a lot of cameras, and they aren't going to raise too much revenue, so maybe I'm being too cynical in thinking that won't happen.

Are you sure about that? Did you see the VT on the BBC recently. They set up at a crossing and caught loads and that was just one random crossing.

It's utterly unbelievable that such idiots exist let alone in such numbers.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
So redlight cameras installed on unmanned crossings would be quite useful in encouraging such drivers that there is a more sensible option in the circumstances.
Our database already includes several of such cameras Very Happy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that! All we need now is for the British Transport Police to do these people for trespassing as well, as they shouldn't be on railway property under this circumstance, should they? This could add £1000 on top of their fine and penalty points (I think people can get done for civil and criminal penalties for the same contravention?)

BTW, on just looking up a rail website, I saw this warning, which I thought was quite appropriate:
Quote:
If you trespass or vandalise on the railway –

the maximum fine is £1,000
the maximum penalty is death.

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's Darwinism in action, clearing the gene pool of idiots. Drivers who need a POI to warn them of a level crossing should instead have their driving licenses shredded permanently.

I often use the crossing at Rainham Station where, as an ex railwayman, I look in horror when a car follows the one in front without waiting for it to clear the other side. I've lost count of the number of times I've been 'hooted' because traffic has moved but I'm waiting for the car in front to leave a car length or two space before I start. Only recently I had driven over and the traffic stopped, the bloke behind was sitting half on the crossing and the one behind him fully on the crossing, both without a care in the world. I would say their brains were out of gear but brains were obviously lacking.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: