Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No space for map update!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No space for map update!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rafletcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: No space for map update! Reply with quote

Well (perhaps foolishly) I did purchase a map update subscrition - only to find after waiting some 6hrs for it to downlload I got "insufficient space on your device to install update". New map some 85Mb bigger than old. I've a 720. What can I do? I run no additional apps etc. other than PGPS speed cameras totally <0.1Mb.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way is to purchase 4GB capacity SDHC card for the unit (or larger) as the device will support up to 32GB cards then put your new map on that.
The otherway involves opening the downloaded map files and extracting them to a folder on the PC then deleting the unrequired CSpeech files from the download to reduce the overall size, finally transfer the folder to the device using Windows Explorer - Mike
rafletcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - does the TT just recognise the card as "extra" memory for the purpose of download? Or do I have to copy the map to the card before installing the card in the device?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pop the card in the device then connect the TomTom to the PC, when Home fires up it will ask you to select either the internal Flash memory OR the SDHC card, choose the memory card and then install the map - Mike
rafletcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant - and uncharacteristically simple!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafletcher wrote:
Brilliant - and uncharacteristically simple!

....unless Home tries to install it to BOTH the internal memory and the SD card irrespective of what you tell it to do! (which is a known intermittent problem with Home).
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The easy way is to purchase 4GB capacity SDHC card for the unit (or larger) as the device will support up to 32GB cards then put your new map on that.
The otherway involves opening the downloaded map files and extracting them to a folder on the PC then deleting the unrequired CSpeech files from the download to reduce the overall size, finally transfer the folder to the device using Windows Explorer - Mike

Mike, I have found that when using a 4GB card I cannot "Operate My Go" in TT Home. I cannot therefore save the Mapsettings.cfg using the trick suggested elsewhere in this forum. If I use the backed up Mapsettings.cfg it goes into the repeated boot mode.
I didn't realise this at the time (so wasted a lot of time rewriting all my POI warnings), but the reduced size version of Western Europe (reduced by removing most of the cpeech files), when installed to the device itself, does enable the device to run in Home, with the SDHC card removed. So I could have salvaged mapsettings.cfg if I had not used the SDHC card
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Robin, I think it might be worth suggesting to TomTom that Home should handle the CSpeech files seperately than lumping them with the map each time.

I know some users like the ASR feature and some of us consider it useless, but adding around 190MB of possibly unwanted files to the device with the map isn't very clever when space is tight (x20, x30, x40, x50, XL IQ, XL IQ Live) at least 14 models with this issue

Why the useless Home software installs CSpeech files to the XL units which don't even have a microphone is beyond me, I guess its another of those so called "features" although it seems to only be XL devices that have been returned to TomTom that suffer with this issue - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand why the inclusion of a sdhc card should prevent the user from running the emulator in Home.

My NA map resides on a 4-gig sdhc card on my 720 and the emulator is fine.

Could it really be something else at play here?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, I'm puzzled by this as well. I first reported to TT that the emulator would not work with my 720 (I got a message saying that it was not available on my device) and they suggested various things to try (which, needless to say, did not work!). It was only by chance that I tried it with the card removed and found it worked.
I then tried replacing the card but selecting the internal drive when given the option after connecting to Home. But it wouldn't work. The only way I can get the emulator to work is by removing the card
Robin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
David, I'm puzzled by this as well. I first reported to TT that the emulator would not work with my 720 (I got a message saying that it was not available on my device)
---
It was only by chance that I tried it with the card removed and found it worked.
---
I then tried replacing the card but selecting the internal drive when given the option after connecting to Home. But it wouldn't work. The only way I can get the emulator to work is by removing the card
Robin

That sounds like a clue to me!

As we know, on those models you can either just put a map on the card (continuing to run the system from the internal memory) or you can put the operating system on the card too. If the card is inserted the TomTom will boot-up and use the software version on the card.

We also know there are several versions of software where the required files for the Home emulator to work have never been written.

So, if you've got a SECOND version of system files on the card, the TomTom will use that version with the card inserted and the other version if it isn't, and I think that still happens when you are connected to Home, irrespective of which storage place you select when Home starts up. That selection is just used for where to store ne content.

So the question I have for you is: what files and folders are on the SD card?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is directed at me, Andy, I just have my map on the card. All the other stuff is on the unit itself.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Operate My Go' works for me if I remove the SD card and put it in a card reader! It doesn't work if the SD Card is in my 720! Try using a card reader to see if this solves the problem (with an sdHC card, the reader must be able to read it!)
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

So the question I have for you is: what files and folders are on the SD card?

Andy, you may have hit the nail on the head. I have a full application and map on the SDHC card. Originally, the version of Navcore on the device was older than the version on the card. I started doing this when some versions of Navcore broke something (eg speech volume) so I always had an older, working, version on the device to fall back on. Now that I am reasonably satisfied with 8.351 I have it on the device and on the card.
I'll try wiping the card and then just putting the map folder back on it. Then, if I can run the emulator in Home, I know how to save the mapsettings.cfg (and all my POI warnings) when I get my next quarterly update.
Robin
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Good tip, I was down to the last 15mb of free space of the internal memory of my 750 until I removed all the foreign language csspeech files from the map folder. Now I'm upto 175mb free space. Thanks Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: