Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld.com release CamerAlert on the iPhone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld.com release CamerAlert on the iPhone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonez wrote:
i'm tempted by the iphone app, does anyone what type of audible alert it gives?, i wouldnt be looking at the iphone screen while driving.

You can choose from spoken alerts (male or female) or a choice of alert tones.
jonez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right, does the alert tell you the type and speed limit, e.g. "Gatso - 30"
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and Yes
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonez wrote:
Ah right, does the alert tell you the type and speed limit, e.g. "Gatso - 30"

it uses the following designations: static, redlight, redspeed, mobile, pee-mobile, average

with the speed read out after eg: static - 30, mobile - 70 etc

MaFt
DWiskow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: CamerAlert for 1st Gen iPhone and iTouch Reply with quote

I posted this in the support thread also . . . for those who want to use CamerAlert with iPhone/iTouch models that don't have an inbuilt GPS, you can obtain a 'better' GPS signal by using an external Bluetooth GPS receiver plus ROQY Bluetooth software for the iPhone (available via Cydia) . . . but it does need your device to be jailbroken.

I use ROQY Bluetooth plus a Holux M1200. I have used this with CameraAlert on both a 1st Gen and 3GS iPhone.

I have one shut away in the glovebox (with a 12v Cigarette Mini-USB supply permanently hooked up) . . . constantly gets 8-10 satellite reception in a car where the 3GS wont even hold a signal lock because of the windscreen . . . and also gives a really fast/accurate GPS position [much better than the iPhone inbuilt GPS].

A side product of this approach is much lower power usage on the iPhone which is also a huge advantage when out on my bike [the Holux M1200 lithium battery is good for 10 hours] and using BikeMateGPS.

Last edited by DWiskow on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Roqy BT available on the app store yet or does it still need a jail broken phone to be of any use? If the latter is the case then its not going to be a solution for most iPhone users who won't even understand the term JailBreak - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Is Roqy BT available on the app store yet or does it still need a jail broken phone to be of any use? If the latter is the case then its not going to be a solution for most iPhone users who won't even understand the term JailBreak - Mike

It still requires a Jailbroken iPhone.
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this just for the iphone or would it work on the ipod touch if that was in a gps cradle?
Oops - found the other 8 pages and my answer so if a mod wants to delete this. Apologies for not looking properly first.

Last edited by Wannabyourhero on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The app requires a GPRS/ 3G connection to download the moving map, database updates and any submissions you might want to make so it is only for use on the iPhone at this time, the combination of an iPod Touch and GPS equipped cradle simply doesn't work - Mike
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it might be possible to use an external GPS receiver with the iPad ? I am planning to buy one and the main reason I will buy the 3G version is because it also has GPS. If I could connect a 3rd party device then I might not wait for the 3G to become available.
Also, does anyone agree with me that the iPad could be a tremendous device for use in the car. Even just running existing in-car iPhone apps in full screen mode would aid safety - so much more readable while driving.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, the iPAD might not have true GPS it is still rather grey in terms of what its fitted with but I suspect it works position out from the phone beacons (which is why its only available on the 3G models) - accuracy will be nowhere near as good as true GPS. I would do some serious digging in to the specs/ reviews once it comes out as to what will and will not work on this.
As for in car use, its way too large to be of much use, put it on top of the dash and it will obstruct your view of the road, put it lower down the dash and it will cover controls/ airbag ports so I wouldn't consider it safe in a car - Mike
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Tony, the iPAD might not have true GPS it is still rather grey in terms of what its fitted with but I suspect it works position out from the phone beacons (which is why its only available on the 3G models) - accuracy will be nowhere near as good as true GPS. I would do some serious digging in to the specs/ reviews once it comes out as to what will and will not work on this.
As for in car use, its way too large to be of much use, put it on top of the dash and it will obstruct your view of the road, put it lower down the dash and it will cover controls/ airbag ports so I wouldn't consider it safe in a car - Mike

I'll be very disappointed if that's the case. Surely they can't use the term GPS if that's not the case, I was also hoping to use it out walking with OS maps (in one of those map holders with a clear window). I suspect (hope) that they only provide it on the 3G versions is so it can be AGPS.
As for positioning it in a car I disagree. I drive an MPV and never use the radio. I could easily position it in my car such that it would be higher than for example my speedo but not obstructing my windscreen. YMMV.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not confirmed, one large Mac site seemed fairly certain it would have a 'proper' GPS and I'm inclined to believe them.

Given there are many who use laptops in-car on custom mounts there is no reason why, apart from space in some cars perhaps, that you couldn't and you van expect iPad mounts to appear in due course.
sxid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of the PocketGPSworld database, so couldn't wait to download this app.

It works flawlessly with my TomTom iPhone car mount. Absolutely fantastic - well done.

However, as soon as I unplug the 12v car charger part of the tomtom mount or take the phone out of the cradle, the app loses it's GPS signal all together and no longer gives live speed read out and shows the blue dot as nowhere near where I am (if at all!)

So this app is really only for those with an added GPS reciever? Am I right in thinking that?

Thanks

Tom
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sxid wrote:

So this app is really only for those with an added GPS reciever? Am I right in thinking that?

Tom

No. Mine works flawlessly sitting on my dashboard in the middle of the car attached by a mag mount. You can't get worse than this - everyone warns me off using a mag mount with dire warnings of damage to the iPhone and sterility to me (no, not really) but I have done it for 3 years with half a dozen iPhones and never a problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: