Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Not Working Properly
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Not Working Properly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suziedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Not Working Properly Reply with quote

Well I downloaded the app, updated the database, got it all setup on my IPhone and went out to give it a run.

Very nice interface and generally seems to be a well designed app.

The only problem I found was, it only works some of the time.

I had a full GPS signal but found it kept missing static cameras, sometimes annonced it was "all clear" and was very hit and miss in general.

I will give it the benefit of the doubt whilst the faults are addressed but so far it is too unreliable to be taken seroiusly.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me what version of the database you have installed on your iPhone?

Settings | Update cameras |

And when you say it misses static cameras, are you saying you pass cameras not marked or alerted on our map or marked but not alerted or something else?
suziedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Can you tell me what version of the database you have installed on your iPhone?

Settings | Update cameras |

And when you say it misses static cameras, are you saying you pass cameras not marked or alerted on our map or marked but not alerted or something else?

Hi, I have version 8.022 (27154) installed from yesterday.

All the static cameras it failed to alert to are on the database and have been for well over a year. It also missed some mobile cameras, which are also on the database.

On some ocassions having missed a camera it would then say all clear. My wife thought it was very amusing!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suziedog wrote:

All the static cameras it failed to alert to are on the database and have been for well over a year. It also missed some mobile cameras, which are also on the database.

On some ocassions having missed a camera it would then say all clear. My wife thought it was very amusing!

And were these cameras visible on the CamerAlert Map or in List view if that is what you use?
suziedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
suziedog wrote:

And were these cameras visible on the CamerAlert Map or in List view if that is what you use?

They were visible on the map but there was no other form of alert. I do have all the alerts set up.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, is your iPhone audio from the iPhone or routed through some other source?

And finally, can you give me any example cameras that were affected?
suziedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Ok thanks, is your iPhone audio from the iPhone or routed through some other source?

And finally, can you give me any example cameras that were affected?

The sounds comes directly from my IPhone.

The cameras it failed to pick up were situated on the A34 between Stone and Trentham, Staffordshire. On this stretch of dual carriageway there are loads of static cameras as well as 4-5 mobile locations, as you will see from the database.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the camera alerts are directional so you will only get an audible warning if you are going the 'right' way - were these cameras in your direction or were they on the other carriageway?

also, when you go to the sound settings do you have sound alerts turned on for all the camera types? (settings cog / sound warnings [little blue arrow]) then scroll down to make sure static, redlight, etc are ticked.

if you press the 'Warnign sound' button do you hear the spoken warning (or which ever sound is selected) ?

one last thing to check is the advanced warning settings - at the top right where you select the warning range in seconds press the small blue arrow - the default values for the 'Additional warning parameters' should be around the middle of the sliders.

if you could also locate the cameras on the submission map and post their ID numbers then that might help us to work out what is happening.

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option to get a better view of whats going on is to drive that stretch of road on my way home in the morning as its not really much out of the way - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suziedog wrote:
The cameras it failed to pick up were situated on the A34 between Stone and Trentham, Staffordshire. On this stretch of dual carriageway there are loads of static cameras as well as 4-5 mobile locations, as you will see from the database.

Having driven this stretch of road earlier I have to agree that the camera warnings are not to the high standards they should be so thanks for bringing this to our attention. Whether you still have an issue with no audio from your iPhone might be a different problem which can be resolved, but we do need to address the heading data for this stretch of road.

Rest assured the heading data will be corrected and an update to the database in the next week or two will put this situation right.

I used CamerAlert to submit some changes, but not all as some of the areas contain 4 or more cameras in a quarter mile stretch of road, I had no intentions of stopping on a snow covered dual carriageway! - The other camera headings will be checked & ammended using the map, which I will sort out later and pass through to MaFt - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like very few of the fixed cams have got headings along this stretch. Here's most of them:
1702@30 330
948@40 190
2050@40 6
947@40 158
698@40 176
699@40 162
2627@40 367
2627@40 looks like it should be at 52.93963 -2.18813 with hdg of 0
700@60 Shown on southbound so 147
2636@60 311
951@60 128
701@60 159
311@50 300
2637@50 120
306@60 11
1001@30 168 reversible???

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: