Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: Garmin Nuvi 1690
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: Garmin Nuvi 1690
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feek wrote:
Google lookup seems to work and work well. I've not worked out how to send waypoints over the air to the unit yet though.

google maps

top right of map you have 'print | send | link' - click send

in the pop up window select 'gps' on the left hand side, then select garmin from drop-down box. this will then let you fill in some details and then take you to the garmin web site. if you are registred with garmin it will allow you to send over the air to the 1690

MaFt
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt,
I don't have the GPS option once I click on Send in Google Maps and I do have the Garmin Communicator plugin installed. I've tried this in both Firefox and Safari.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's certainly strange! I've just called up Google Mapsin Firefox 3.6, selected an indian restaurant, pressed 'send', up came the 'send' dialog box, and there it is - "email;phone;car;GPS". Not got any satnav connected nor any satnav communication programs running.
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feek wrote:
Thanks MaFt,
I don't have the GPS option once I click on Send in Google Maps and I do have the Garmin Communicator plugin installed. I've tried this in both Firefox and Safari.

I don't have a Garmin 1690 yet, but I've just tested the send to function in Google Maps and I think I've figure out what you might be doing wrong. Try searching for a place first, if a letter appears on the map (A, B, C etc), click on one of the letters and try the 'send' option on that instead. I find that if I just click on the map somewhere and try the 'send' option there aren't as many send-to options.

Looks like you have to search for something first. Hope this makes sense!
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked, thank you. It seems one can't just select a point and send that, it has to be an actual item on the map.

Not sure how useful that's going to be compared to using Google search on the device itself.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: How to send any location to GPS from Google maps Reply with quote

Feek wrote:
That worked, thank you. It seems one can't just select a point and send that, it has to be an actual item on the map.

Not sure how useful that's going to be compared to using Google search on the device itself.

If you right click on the position you want to send to your unit a box appears with six choices. Select the bottom one "What's here?"
Hover the mouse hand over the green arrow and that gives you Lat and Long co-ords. Click on the green arrow and that then gives you the option to send to your GPS unit (Plus email, Phone and Car).
Hope it works for you, it does for me.
Driving Ex Police
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather data seems to relate to the nearest main / regional airport - so far I have seen Shoreham on Sea, Heathrow, Gatwick, Kidlington (Oxford). I think Rochford is near Southend Airport.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: I like what I read of the 1690... Reply with quote

Greetings all
My 2720 has given me sterling service taking me all over UK and Europe, (despite routing me up and down narrow lanes through some forest near Southampton) but it is getting on a bit and anyway I feel its time to give myself a birthday present!

As mentioned, I like what I have read of the 1690; however, I have some questions please..
a]
Reading the user manual on the Garmin website, though it does mention creating POIs and proximity alerts, there is no mention about sound files - will it play the PGPSW voice files for example? If so what format wav or mp3?

b]
I am also interested in the Eco Route HD unit that can be connected to the OB2 port; are these available in the UK yet? If so has anybody used this unit?

Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks and Regards
CK
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDK

Yes you can play sound files - Speed Camera alerts or POI alerts. I use Ash's Camera Manager and .WAV alerts loaded via PolLoader and they are fine.

Can't help on EcoRoute

Be aware that as soon as the unit is turned on the nuLink clock starts ticking - yet the NuMaps date is determined by when you use the SatNav in anger - ie over 12kph.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10
That clarifies the situation regarding the sound files.
Your answer much appreciated - thanks for your comments.
Regards
CDK
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feek wrote:

indeed - i think i even mentioned this in the review!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it being helpful as a method of dispatch for field repairmen or salespeople. The office could remotely send their next appointment (destination) using the feature. Particularly helpful for unscheduled stops for outside sales and maintenance. I've used it for that purpose here in the States with my MSNDirect service on the older nuvi's. The function for the 1690 essentially has the same result, just a different transmission method.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: ecoroute HD adapter Reply with quote

Greetings
I've had the 1690 since April, and it's certainly a nice unit.
Being a bit of a gadget man, one of the attractions was the promise of the ecoroute HD adapter in the near future. Hopes rose when one unit update mentioned HD ecoroute database for Mercedes.
In May 2010, in answer to my email to Garmin enquiring about a release date, I got an answer that it would be about end of 2nd quarter or after.
By August, most of the sellers appeared to be taking preorders and changing the availabilty date in jumps of 10 to 20 days. One even showed it in stock, then rang to say that was due to a software error on their website.
2nd and 3rd quarter have come and gone; it is now November - end of 4th quarter approaching.
Are Garmin ever going to release the European version of this unit or have they given up?
Their new 1695 unit appears not to have this facility.
Has anybody heard anything more?
Regards
CDK
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1695 latest update, from a few weeks ago, lists EcoRoute HD fixes. Appears to still be in the plans but I've not seen anything yet about availability for GB.
louielois
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Garmin 1690 vs TomTom 740 live Reply with quote

Living in the darkest corner of colchester, and driving for a living i found the garmin 1690 a bit of an odd ball! i had the garmin 610t but found the traffic lead totally useless, so opted for the sim card technology of the Tomtom 740 live. I lived with it for a year, but missed the look of garmin. So when they launched the 1690, i thought my prayers were answered(maybe)!! I think tomtom has a lot going for it in this model range, and garmin seem to keep dropping the ball. ok some points
1. the cradle on the tomtom has a little spring loaded button to release the unit, garmin has that annoying plastic groove 'n' click
2.the tomtom has seperate volumes for unit and phone, garmin just the unit
3.tomtom a total journey map that you call up to check you are going the right way, not on garmin
4.the tomtom can even give you the distance to the safety cameras.
5 the HD live gives you a constant display of all the traffic along your destination so you can work out where to change direction.(47.00 annual)
6. the tomtom bluetooth phone reception is stronger than garmin.
All that said i still find something appealing about the garmin although i still feel like the poorer cousin, and i hope as this is nearly one of their leading models that they might develope some upgraded software, at least get a tomtom model into the lab and start getting some of the quality into garmin. I have the garmin 1690,don't let it stop there! reward me with cutting edge device changing updates....
Rolling Eyes

Feek wrote:
I've had my 1690 for ten days or so now and I'm already very impressed. Some investigation shows that they've been quite clever regarding getting mobile data coverage in the UK. I've no idea how it's done in other countries.

The device is registered with the KPN network in the Netherlands and they have roaming agreements with Orange, T-Mobile, O2, Vodafone and 3 so theoretically the system could connect via any of those networks. I'm finding excellent coverage on my main daily commute from a small village in the corner of Essex all the way through the county via Colchester and into Brentwood. I even seem to keep the signal when I'm going through areas that I know Vodafone and Orange barely cover!

The screen seems much more vibrant than my old 765T and although there's no 3.5mm jack for audio out I'm finding the internal speaker more than adequate and I've only got the volume about half way up. Considering I drive a rattly old oil burning diesel this is impressive.

The weather forecast is rubbish though. Pretty much all the way through the county it only pulls up the weather for Rochford which is nowhere near. Even selecting my home village, it still shows Rochford. I guess this is just down to whoever the supplier of weather data is.

Google lookup seems to work and work well. I've not worked out how to send waypoints over the air to the unit yet though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: