Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld.com release CamerAlert on the iPhone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld.com release CamerAlert on the iPhone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting it in to the App Store. There must be an awful lot of people producing their applications, so the queue for approval must be prety big.

Can I put another vote in for the Symbian platform, though?

I have a Samsung i8910 HD with a really good 3.7" Touch Screen, but the Route 66 application that came with it is not good and there's no way to add Custom POIs to the Orange Maps application I got with my Data Bundle on contract.

Of course I use my 520 most of the time, but there are periods when I don't have it with me, so an alternate would be good.

The Samsung is Symbian S60 V5, but I can't get the Ovi Store to recognise it. Not suprising, I guess as Nokia want to sell their own phons, rather than support a now Open Source O/S.

Do I need an iPhone...... Nah! I like my 8 megapixel camera and HD playback of movies.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we please keep the requests for a version for other platforms out of this thread?

Given it took us so long to produce this we won't be rushing to do another just yet and there are many issues to consider such as familiarity with the platform and coding for it that we need to consider.

I'm delighted you're all happy with whatever device you may have but this thread is for discussion of the iPhone app, so can we please keep discussion on topic in this thread.
AMWebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Isn't it a sad fact AMWebby that
Quote:
triumph(s) of slick marketing over technology
so often win the day - IBM (v Burroughs in my dim and distant days), VHS (v Betamax), MS (v Mac), etc. It only goes to show (even though I've always rightly distrusted them) just how vital sales/marketing people are to the profitability/survival of companies Evil or Very Mad Razz

Even, possibly yours Exclamation Cool

As my Italian godmother used to say, "Fate come dico, non come faccio io." My company is a business development consultancy and we are knee deep in sales and marketing.

Doesn't stop me being a technologist though. MS won over IBM and Apple as they gave people the technology they wanted, regardless of whether it worked well or not. Jobs has turned that on its head by telling people what technology they want.

Id quot circumiret, circumveniat, as my Latin tutor would say.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batties wrote:
I am holding back from purchasing this App for the time being. I have a 3G phone but find that the mapping can be quite a few meters out from my actually positioning? for example I have tested this driving the A30 in Essex my map positing often sends me off road and across fields etc. Also the 3G maps have a lengthy lag. I will stick to my trusted Tom Tom 720 and pocketgps cameras for now!

it's only 59p and you can link it to your PGPSW subscription so no additional costs... go on, what are you waiting for?!

MaFt
AMWebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Can we please keep the requests for a version for other platforms out of this thread?

Given it took us so long to produce this we won't be rushing to do another just yet and there are many issues to consider such as familiarity with the platform and coding for it that we need to consider.

I'm delighted you're all happy with whatever device you may have but this thread is for discussion of the iPhone app, so can we please keep discussion on topic in this thread.

Fair enough. Can we have a Symbian forum then please? With Speedcam, which you support, sort of, Nokia making navigation via Nokia Maps free, Road Pilot on the Symbian platform and I'm sure there are others, it would be a better way to gauge interest in the platform don't you think?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a Smartphone forum for discussion here. As for RoadPilot, I just took a look at their OviStore reviews, hardly enthusiastic? Unlike iPhone, developing for Nokia would mean coding and testing for a wide range of devices, just one of many reasons why the OviStore is failing.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for hijacking the thread. My main objective was to say 'Well Done'.
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Can this app run as a standalone application on route without internet connection or another sat nav app running.

My reason for asking is that I have a built in Sat Nav in the car but cannot add POI's to it.

I'd like to run the sat nav as per normal but have the speedcam alerts running on the iphone for alerts but do not want to have to connect to the internet via GPRS/EDGE/WAP whilst driving.

Thanks
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowie wrote:
Hi

Can this app run as a standalone application on route without internet connection or another sat nav app running.

My reason for asking is that I have a built in Sat Nav in the car but cannot add POI's to it.

I'd like to run the sat nav as per normal but have the speedcam alerts running on the iphone for alerts but do not want to have to connect to the internet via GPRS/EDGE/WAP whilst driving.

Thanks

Hi lowie,

The app can run with no connectivity. You just need to go into the settings and select "Never" for the show map option. You will not use any connectivity unless you submit a camera.

You will still get warnings, but will not see where they are on a map.
AMWebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
There is already a Smartphone forum for discussion here.

As for RoadPilot, I just took a look at their OviStore reviews, hardly enthusiastic? Unlike iPhone, developing for Nokia would mean coding and testing for a wide range of devices, just one of many reasons why the OviStore is failing.

Hardly a Symbian only forum though, although it is interesting to observe that the majority of the posts are for Symbian and begs the question why Speedcam got lumped in with "Other Software".

As for Road Pilot, most of the negative comments on Ovi store are mine and I should update them as the mistake in GPS positioning was down to a misreading of data by me, unlike the iPhone GPS, which appears to have problems judging by posts here and elsewhere.

Also interesting to note that a significant number of initial posts here were requesting a Symbian version of the app. Obviously the reason Nokia is the best selling smartphone by a wide margin is down to the large number of devices with differing specs and granted the Ovi store is a triumph of bad marketing, but there is a head of steam there that won't be stopped. As I said, maybe I can help...
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they developed a Symbian or Windows Mobile version 1st, then people would be complaining 'Why is there no iPhone version?'.

The team had to start with one platform. They can't win can they?!

I am sure they have got plans to eventually produce applications on the major platforms. This one will be a good benchmark to see where they go from here.

This application will allow the team to be able to gauge what features people want and don't want in a mobile platform application.

Don't forget, this one application has been worked on for around 18months. You multiply that by 3 or 4 platforms, and that becomes a tremendous amount of work for such a small and skilled team.

And, like you say, the Symbian platform has quite a variety of devices to test on. The iPhone OS could be argued as the easiest one to start on, as there are only a couple of different hardware variants to test on!

Steven

iPhone 12
AMWebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entirely agree Falkirk. I'm on their side. They have developed the best speed camera app I've seen on any platform, period. That's why I'd like to see it on other platforms before someone else gains market share.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we're naturally delighted that there is so much enthusiasm for the product and we'd love to get it onto as many different handsets as we can eventually.

One more polite request though that we leave this thread for discussion of what 'is" available rather than what is "yet" to be Wink
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mike. I'll be downloading later Laughing
spikeuk76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just downloaded this app without (stupid me!) checking that it was compatable with the iPod Touch. I have TomTom with the car kit (external GPS) so there is no reason for this app not to work except for the coded restrictions within the app.

Could you please add compatability for us iPod Touch users, i'm not quite ready to ditch my Blackberry just yet!

Many thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: