Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Average Speed Cameras to Save the World?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Average Speed Cameras to Save the World?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arghh another proposal to extort the motorist, as being the easiest target nowadays!
Please...some common sense
If they really care about the carbon footprint why wouldnt they reduce the tax to hybrid cars or come up with a scheme to promote them.

Another solution would be to promote public transport and reduce the cost of travelling by train!
From my experience a round trip ftom Portsmouth to London city centre cost me roughly the same by travelling by car (yes! including the London's congestion charge). Therefore If 3 or 4 persons are travelling by car it would be far cheaper to travel by car, rather than buying 4 individual tickets by train or coach!!

Does this make any sense to you?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If they really care about the carbon footprint why wouldnt they reduce the tax to hybrid cars or come up with a scheme to promote them.

Not up to all the hype according to some reviews HERE
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjv wrote:
If the government of the day had given Dr Beeching his P45 instead of a knighthood, we would still have had the railway network to transport goods, instead we have motorways clogged up with lorries chucking out carbon on a grand scale compared with one deisel locomotive hauling tons of goods in one go.

Good point but there was no chance of that happening - Beeching was appointed by that villain Ernest Marples who was Transport Minister at the time. Marples had been a director of the firm he helped start, namely Marples Ridgeway that was looking forward to big contracts building motorways after the rail network was axed.
mikeprytherch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Great Forums reponses Reply with quote

Thanks for the Cruise Control idea... I guess that's a few grand more I need to spend eh.... and as for not putting your right foot down, clearly you have never accidently gone over the limit, when your mates/girlfriend/wife are giving you some in your ear, or you are laughing at the radio, distracted by some idiot driving like an idiot, actually travelling down a slight hill (not always noticable), clearly none of this has ever happen to such brilliant drivers like you, clearly you don't need the pocketgps speed camera database as your driving is so bloody good you can spot all the cameras anyway, after all they are all painted YELLOW.

My point was about concentration, you need to concentrate on your driving and not your speed, you would be very unlucky if you strayed over the limit for a few hundred yards to be caught by police, however with a average camera this WILL happen and it will effect your concentration, especially on your next journey once you get a ticket through the post.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any distance info in the specs database - ie how long a particular average-speed-check stretch is between start-camera and end-camera? And does it (could it?) allow for overspeed warnings while within the stretch rather than just at the cameras? (Ash could get some more donations for providing this!).

Obviously if the distance is significant, and the speed limit discretionary % allowance is still used (is it?), AND speedos are 10% over, then 'drifting' above for a shortish distance wouldn't really be a problem, especially if there waas a warning when the limit was being exceeded.

Also, mikeprytherch, does your satnav display your speed and/or the current speed limit? One or both of these can help, and are more in your proper line of sight than the car's speedo is.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether anyone in the corridors of power has considered that a far greater saving in terms of fuel consumption and carbon emissions would be the widespread rollout of "Smart Traffic Lights", which accurately sense the flow of traffic and - largely - ensure a smooth flow, fewer stops, less fuel wasted sitting at a red light with no other traffic in sight, not to mention the concomitant frustration. 2 or 3 sets have been installed recently near us and it makes a tremendous difference to the traffic flow.

As a cynic, I suspect that they are not rolled out more widely as they do not raise revenue... Twisted Evil
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they take into consideration all the new power stations and sutch that would have to be build to run these systems. If they are only going to save a miserley tonnage of carbon only to add to it in another way then why bother.

I suspect the responce would be "oh we forgot we had to power these things"! Confused

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Forums reponses Reply with quote

mikeprytherch wrote:
with a average camera this WILL happen and it will effect your concentration
I was going to quote the entire post and take it apart, bit by bit. But this bit will do

It's a bad idea NOT to concentrate on driving and speed is a major component of that. Really, it's better to concentrate on driving as opposed to concentrating on getting there - to practice driving within the speed limit/s rather than getting somewhere in the shortest possible time taken to get there at the fastest speed we think we can get away with. I don't think the pgpsw camera database is intended to help anyone to observe speed limits only at camera sites and ignore them elsewhere.

In a 50mph average speed zone, "accidentally straying over" means achieving an average of more than 57mph for the entire distance between cameras. Bearing in mind that speedos read anything up to 10% overspeed, that means a speedo indicated speed of well over 60mph all the way from one camera to the next, not for a few hundred yards. That's what average is about. I question the classification of "accidentally straying" for that.

"Average" will not penalise "accidentally straying over" for a few hundred yards - it'll average out the few hundred yards of "accidentally straying under".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Gavinbat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Dennis... That's all well and good if you know you can do over 50 without getting a ticket. However most people don't and are spending more time looking at the speedo and not the road. Most vehicle operators on the roads today haven't got a clue about anything going on around them! (I don't call them drivers!)
Up to this post I didn't know what you could get away with, assuming your information is correct as "they" won't confirm it!
Yes, my car will quite happily sneek on a few mph when it feels like it. Having a powerful car doesn't mean you'll speed, I use my V6 for towing, I also run it on LPG.
Speedos are more like 5% inaccurate than 10% and different amounts at different speeds.
More to the point we're straying off the original topic somewhat...
My concern about these "clever" ideas is that the government/councils will just waste the money like they do now instead of using it to repair the roads.
No one talks about the enviromental damage caused by replacing and disposing all the worn out and damaged vehicle parts? Not to mention the extra fuel used...
Cheers,
Gavin Smile
PS: I'm not trying to fuel a flaming war, just giving a different perspective.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavinbat wrote:
Hi,
Dennis... That's all well and good if you know you can do over 50 without getting a ticket. However most people don't and are spending more time looking at the speedo and not the road. .....

Up to this post I didn't know what you could get away with, assuming your information is correct as "they" won't confirm it!

Of course "they" won't confirm it and some police don't allow that leeway, so it's very inadvisable to exceed 50 - and do so by aiming BELOW 50, not AT 50.

Gavinbat wrote:
Yes, my car will quite happily sneek on a few mph when it feels like it. ......

Speedos are more like 5% inaccurate than 10% and different amounts at different speeds.

Whether 5% or 10%, I question the self awareness of your car - earlier I said and I repeat... I don't know of a car which can do 50mph without the accelerator pedal being involved - that is, without the driver pressing the accelerator pedal (Toyotas excepted Laughing Laughing ).

Anyway, back on Topic - I'm all in favour of Average Speed cameras on motorways. I don't believe that 52% of drivers exceed the 70mph speed limit all of the time - over 50,000 miles a year, so I see a lot of drivers who don't rock my van with their slipstream as they blast by. But there are certainly some who are consistently driving well over the limit and they are the ones who should be dealt with - driving on average over 80mph (means they are doing well over that in the gaps between whatever traffic inconsiderately occasionally holds them up, despite their blazing headlights and fogs). Forget the carbons, these drivers are a danger to other road users.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
(Toyotas excepted Laughing Laughing ).

Is owning a Toyota now a valid excuse when you get caught by a camera? Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
DennisN wrote:
(Toyotas excepted Laughing Laughing ).

Is owning a Toyota now a valid excuse when you get caught by a camera? Very Happy

Dunno about that, but it's being touted as a valid excuse for the insurance companies not to pay out for accidents.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: