Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Eleven Speed Cameras Per Mile
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Eleven Speed Cameras Per Mile
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Eleven Speed Cameras Per Mile Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comDrivers of a 7.5-mile stretch of road in east London are bracing themselves for the installation of 84 average speed cameras. However, there is some good news for those in a hurry, when the cameras become operational next summer, the speed limit will be raised from 40mph to 50mph on a section of the route.

Situated between Canning Town and the Goresbrook interchange, the cameras will be spread out along multiple entrance and exit points of the A13.

Average speed cameras appear to be proving more acceptable to drivers than fixed speed cameras, but they still have their detractors. Speed camera zones that are introduced with a higher speed limit should go some way to bring many round. It will be interesting to discover just how much of the A13 route's speed limit will in fact be increased. It will also be interesting how motorists gauge their average speed over two speed limits. Will there be zones within zones? Will more accidents be caused by speedo gazing?

According to Transport for London(TfL), the collision rate on the targeted stretch (500 between 2006 and 2008 including three fatal and 34 serious accidents) is almost 20 percent higher than on other typical London major roads. TfL blames half of these incidents on speeding and says that it hopes the scheme would halve the number of people killed or seriously injured along the road.

The BBC quote RAC Foundation director, Professor Stephen Glaister as saying "This is exactly the right way to target road safety: take specific action to target a specific problem."

Professor Glaister also stated that average speed cameras have the advantage of smoothing traffic flow rather than creating the stop-start sort of driving often associated with fixed cameras.
Graculus
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a rather high concentration of cameras. Why does it need one per tenth of a mile or so (or maybe double that for cameras in both directions)?

Nevertheless, as ever, stats are used to lie or at least present a skewed view of the world:
TfL blames half of these incidents on speeding and says that it hopes the scheme would halve the number of people killed or seriously injured along the road.
That is implying that they want to eliminate all excessive-speed-related KSIs. That is unachievable, as there will always be some, no matter what you do.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graculus wrote:
That is implying that they want to eliminate all excessive-speed-related KSIs. That is unachievable, as there will always be some, no matter what you do.
No Shocked a half of (say) 10 deaths is 5 deaths, not zero deaths Wink Or even a half of a half of 10 is 2 deaths and a seriously injured Sad
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As these are Specs cameras, there will be more than one on each pole. We've been having a bit of fun guessing how they would be arranged earlier here.
Brodit ProClip mount
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
As these are Specs cameras, there will be more than one on each pole. We've been having a bit of fun guessing how they would be arranged earlier here.

thanks gerry - i couldn't, for some reason, find that post...!!

MaFt
Graculus
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Graculus wrote:
No Shocked a half of (say) 10 deaths is 5 deaths, not zero deaths Wink Or even a half of a half of 10 is 2 deaths and a seriously injured Sad

Er, no. What the article is trying to say is if there are 10 deaths, then half of them - 5 - are speed-related. They want to halve the number of deaths overall, i.e. bring it down from 10 to 5. The cameras won't affect the number of non-speed related deaths (still 5), ergo, they want to bring the speed-related deaths down from 5 to zero, leaving the total at 5, half the original 10.
Kerryseacadets
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: specs canning town to goresbrook Reply with quote

From next year!! already installed and under test from last week(both way between river rd & lodge ave flyover)
Kerry
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you reported them on the submission page? Very Happy
Kerryseacadets
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reported Reply with quote

Yes reported Wednesday or Thursday, westbound installed first eastbound next day, now have signs on them stating that they are under test, I bet they wont confirm when 'test' goes to fully operational. I work next to site great pulling out onto a13 with one coned off while they set them up
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, & possibly others, tried reporting the SPECS camera being trialled at Blackwall Tunnel & was told that because they weren't live they wouldn't be put on the database.

You may get the same answer.
Kerryseacadets
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: trial/live Reply with quote

My main concern would be that the date they go from trial to live is unlikely to be advertised, and I would prefer not to be notified of changeover with a speeding fine, I both live and work on this section of A13. Also would prefer to stop anybody else adding to speed camera coffers.
Kerry
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: trial/live Reply with quote

Kerryseacadets wrote:
My main concern would be that the date they go from trial to live is unlikely to be advertised, and I would prefer not to be notified of changeover with a speeding fine, I both live and work on this section of A13. Also would prefer to stop anybody else adding to speed camera coffers.
Kerry

Its supposed to be starting in the summer anyway & I'm sure theyll tell people properly when it does start or theyll be in serious trouble.

Except for the Canning Town & Ripple Road flyovers the speed is going up to 50mph on the rest of the route.

As you know yourself, most of the time youre lucky to get up to 20mph along there Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freedy50 wrote:
I, & possibly others, tried reporting the SPECS camera being trialled at Blackwall Tunnel & was told that because they weren't live they wouldn't be put on the database.

You may get the same answer.

That is not quite the whole truth. In cases like these we will record the locations but we won't activate them in the live data until they are in fact live.

The database is a record of live speed cameras. Until they are active they are not live and we would be moaned at for causing false alarm instead.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

The database is a record of live speed cameras. Until they are active they are not live and we would be moaned at for causing false alarm instead.

I was going to report a camera that was demolished over Christmas and has so far failed to reappear, about four feet of a very bent post are all thats left. Would it be better that it is left on the database in case it suddenly 'grows' again, or is this a case for removal albeit maybe temporarily?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in any doubt report it and explain the situation in the comments field.

MaFt is the ultimate arbiter and he can then decide whether to flag it but leave it in or flag it and remove from the database.

IIRC in past situations he has left it in as it could be easily re-instated. Only if they come and remove the pole would he then remove but that's my opinion and I don't do the day to day admin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: