Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Software 1.420
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Software 1.420
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A word of caution: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
Before installing this version of firmware, be aware that it will display road names from the base vector maps on all maps, including OS 1:50 000 and 1:25 000 maps.
This feature cannot currently be turned off once you have installed the firmware, so be sure that you want road names superimposed on OS maps BEFORE upgrading.

Er, why? What was wrong with having it as a switchable option? I want to be able to switch it on when I need it and switch it off to avoid the unit slowing down in urban areas.

Not overly impressed with Satmap's idea of software ergonomics, think I might actually get off my backside and complain about this. Luckily I couldn't run the upgrade, if I had, I think I would have been very annoyed to find I couldn't switch them off again -this does slow-down screen redraws in urban areas considerably.

Confused
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but these are not strictly OS maps then...(road names etc.) ?
goon525
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: A word of caution: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:
Luckily I couldn't run the upgrade,

Confused

This could be the same problem I had. If you DO want to run it, try the Zip version.
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Sorry, but these are not strictly OS maps then...(road names etc.) ?

They are OS maps, just the same FF, but with a vector overlay over the top. Think tracing paper with writing on it over an OS paper map.

Thanks Goon525, but I don't think I do want to load the update if I can't switch the road name overlay off -it really slows the screen redraw speed down if you're in an urban area. Pre v1.4 it was an option in settings, but they removed it for some reason...
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: SatSync on a Mac Reply with quote

Sorry, accidental double posting.

Has anyone managed to install 1.42 using Satsync on a Mac (Leopard)? I have 1.4 installed but when I follow Satmap's instructions I do indeed get told that new software is available. When I try to download it all I get is a "downloading URLs" message. The 1.4.2 update never appears on my set despite disconnecting the USB lead, turning off the set, and turning it on again. Anyone else hit a similar problem?

Last edited by Physicist on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: SatSync on a Mac Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to install 1.42 using Satsync on a Mac (Leopard)? I have 1.4 installed but when I follow Satmap's instructions I do indeed get told that new software is available. When I try to download it all I get is a "downloading URLs" message. The 1.4.2 update never appears on my set despite disconnecting the USB lead, turning off the set, and turning it on again. Anyone else hit a similar problem?
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:
Thanks Goon525, but I don't think I do want to load the update if I can't switch the road name overlay off -it really slows the screen redraw speed down if you're in an urban area. Pre v1.4 it was an option in settings, but they removed it for some reason...

Planet Nine,
As Lucevans pointed out to me a few posts back you can install the new update but unless you DEFAULT and CLEAR then you don't get the road names but you still get everything else.

That's what I've done and it seems OK,have checked and the update has definately installed but no road names.

Ian
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bosun, but what I really want to do is switch them on & off in the settings when I want to. Like I could do before v1.4. I don't understand why they've changed this since that upgrade, but I feel I'm in a minority of users and this isn't part of the Satmap plan for the active-10 anymore.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:
Thanks Bosun, but what I really want to do is switch them on & off in the settings when I want to. Like I could do before v1.4. I don't understand why they've changed this since that upgrade, but I feel I'm in a minority of users and this isn't part of the Satmap plan for the active-10 anymore.

I know from personal experience that Satmap are quite receptive to the suggestions of their users when it comes to features and fixes in the firmware updates - the more people who make it known that they would like the ability to turn road names on and off, the more likely it is that this feature will be reinstated in a future version. They have already stated that this is under consideration, so let's help them make their minds up (politely, please!)
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: SatSync on a Mac Reply with quote

Physicist wrote:

I'm afraid I have no experience of Satsync on Leopard, but it works fine on Snow Leopard.
The only deviation I see from the Instructions on the Satmap website are in step 9 of the installation instructions which refers to a "progress bar" - I don't see a progress bar, it just goes straight to the "installation successful" dialog box. A reboot of the Active 10 completes the installation process (but I've since reverted my A10 to v1.4 for reasons detailed elsewhere in this thread).
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A word of caution: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
Before installing this version of firmware, be aware that it will display road names from the base vector maps on all maps, including OS 1:50 000 and 1:25 000 maps.
This feature cannot currently be turned off once you have installed the firmware, so be sure that you want road names superimposed on OS maps BEFORE upgrading.

Thanks for the warning Luc.

You say that it cannot be undone, what about reinstalling version 1.4 either from the down load or SD card?

In your experience of switching versions for the beta testing, does this give the expected result, IE 1.40 switchable road names (and some bugs) and 1.42 road names on (hopefully bugs fixed).

If so it is not quite the same once and for decision.
Tony_P1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
I know from personal experience that Satmap are quite receptive to the suggestions of their users when it comes to features and fixes in the firmware updates .

I Emailed Satmap today with a question about the road names. I got the following reply two hours later:

'I think the road names will be linked to Show Title on Maps in the next update as bringing back Show All Road Names could confuse customers without the vector road map.'

May well address the problem?
Tony
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A word of caution: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
You say that it cannot be undone, what about reinstalling version 1.4 either from the down load or SD card?

In your experience of switching versions for the beta testing, does this give the expected result, IE 1.40 switchable road names (and some bugs) and 1.42 road names on (hopefully bugs fixed).

If so it is not quite the same once and for decision.

It is possible to install older versions of the software, but I wouldn't recommend doing it on a regular basis- I have had problems in the past when I've done this which required Satmap to intervene to get my unit working again.
Also, I think that installing anything pre- v1.40 on a unit with the latest platform software would be a very bad idea indeed, possibly leaving you with a brick.

I think that the best options at the moment are;

Install 1.42 then perform a Default - Clear All -if you want/don't mind the road names on OS maps

-or-

Stick with 1.40 for the moment and see what turns up in the next version

-or-

Install 1.42 but don't perform a Default - Clear All -if you don't want the road names on OS maps
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to refresh everybody, what was the problem with roads showing or not ?? I use mine for walking on paths, trails etc., and I didn't have any problem up on the South Downs today, and I walked back to the layby where I had left the car, and again no road data gave me a problem or should I have looked for one ??
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Just to refresh everybody, what was the problem with roads showing or not ?? I use mine for walking on paths, trails etc., and I didn't have any problem up on the South Downs today, and I walked back to the layby where I had left the car, and again no road data gave me a problem or should I have looked for one ??
I doubt it's an issue when walking off road but for road cyclists the screen/map is hard enough to read already, with the route being easily confused with OS yellow roads, etc. without adding clumsy road names.

I haven't tried the latest v1.42 but from what lucevans posted perhaps it's not too bad an issue unless zoomed in close. And I can see that it might be useful on some occasions. I guess it depends rather on exactly how you use your unit.

Incidently, I too posed this question to Satmap via their website and received this e-mail reply:-

"Our current software version (v.1.42) does not allow the road names and numbers to be turned off, this is due to the fact that at the moment it is only the Active10 with the UK maps only that has the vector road mapping that you describe. It is planned, in future software releases, to link the “Show titles on Maps” in the “screen data options” to the vector road mapping labels. Please keep an eye on the website for this release."

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: