Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hibernation Option
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hibernation Option
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Hibernation Option Reply with quote

Could somebody tell me their settings, (1, 2, 3, etc., hours.) and why ?
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hibernation Option Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:

Setting: OFF

Why?: Because I want to log my entire route on the Active 10 so that I can geotag any photos I've taken along the way.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hibernation Option Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:

Generally I have it turned off, but quite useful when I need to stop for while, e.g. a pub lunch and want to conserve battery life but also I want a quick start up.
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not using it after I've charged the battery I'll switch hibernate to off so it maintains its full charge.

If I'm usung it to trail a walk or route, I'll not switch it off at all.

If I'm using it for grid references and marking locations and am not interested in logging the travel, I'll set hibernate to 8 hours (the longest) and switch it off (so it hibernates) between needing to use it. This way, as mentioned above, you get a quick start-up time, but conserve battery over a long day.
Jospee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i check if i've got this right?

To manually hibernate the satmap unit you activate the option in settings to whatever time you prefer, then switch off the unit... which hibernates rather than switches off?

I hope so, was looking through the manual for this but couldn't find it.
Cheers, J.
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit puzzled by this too. Sounds like you've got the idea.

The time options are the amount of time the unit will hibernate for before complete power down. If I were backpacking I'd have the unit set at 8 hours. On reaching an easy bit of navigation when I turned the power off it would hibernate - using min power - for up to 8 hours, but keeping track of my position, for when I next need it. At night I'd set the hibernate mode to off before turning the unit off.

I use the Li Pol rechargeable battery so there's no need for this function for day walks as I can get 22 hours out of it, but if on AAs (esp alkaline) I'd use it for day walks too. It might be useful for day cycle trips though as I use "Trail up" and therefore a lot of battery power. It would depend on how quickly I could get the power back on after hibernating - haven't had a chance to upgrade my platform software yet so this is all just theory at the mo.

Here's an earlier thread about this

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=80899
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jospee wrote:
Can i check if i've got this right?

To manually hibernate the satmap unit you activate the option in settings to whatever time you prefer, then switch off the unit... which hibernates rather than switches off?

I hope so, was looking through the manual for this but couldn't find it.
Cheers, J.

That was my confusion as well.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I were backpacking I'd have the unit set at 8 hours. On reaching an easy bit of navigation when I turned the power off it would hibernate - using min power - for up to 8 hours, but keeping track of my position, for when I next need it.

According to the manual (see below) when in hibernate the unit doesn't keep track of your position, it retains the position that you were at when you switch to hibernate!

"This feature may be thought of as an ultra powersave setting.
In this mode the unit can be switched off and will retain satellite position data using a trickle charge. On switching the unit back on the last screen is shown and satellite lock takes only a few seconds.
If you re-locate whilst in hibernate mode the unit will briefly show your position as where you last had lock until the new satellite positions are acquired.
Note: Trip log data is not stored in this mode."
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - thanks for that Gibbo10. I new it didn't track my route, but kind of assumed it would know where I was. Presumably if you haven't moved far the new lock will be achieved quickly. If not I guess there'd be no point.

Anyone used this feature yet: ie go into hibernate - move position, and power up? How fast is it compared to turning the unit off?
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that it will still make the lock quicker. I know that satmap have been planning this for a long time as I was talking to them about it at the Outdoor show last year, I can't remember all the full details but they were saying that there was certain information that is downloaded when the satellite locks on after a shutdown. If the unit maintained power then it would already have that data which is good for some time and therefore speed up lock on. I guess this must be true because I would assume that if you stayed in the same locatation for 8 hours satellites would move even if you don't.
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satmapian wrote:
Oh - thanks for that Gibbo10. I new it didn't track my route, but kind of assumed it would know where I was. Presumably if you haven't moved far the new lock will be achieved quickly. If not I guess there'd be no point.

Anyone used this feature yet: ie go into hibernate - move position, and power up? How fast is it compared to turning the unit off?

I've used it by getting GPS lock at home, hiberbnating, then driving to start location of a walk. When it switches on it gets lock within seconds - so no waiting around before setting off.
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10 wrote:
I believe that it will still make the lock quicker. I know that satmap have been planning this for a long time as I was talking to them about it at the Outdoor show last year, I can't remember all the full details but they were saying that there was certain information that is downloaded when the satellite locks on after a shutdown. If the unit maintained power then it would already have that data which is good for some time and therefore speed up lock on. I guess this must be true because I would assume that if you stayed in the same locatation for 8 hours satellites would move even if you don't.

Do you know whether in hibernate mode it is actually updating data from the satellites all the time, or is the trickle power just being used to maintain the last set of downloaded data in memory? I suspect it is the former, because otherwise they could just write the data to non-volatile memory (as with storing routes, POIs etc) at shutdown, switch off completely, and then just read it back when next switched on?
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you know whether in hibernate mode it is actually updating data from the satellites all the time, or is the trickle power just being used to maintain the last set of downloaded data in memory? I suspect it is the former, because otherwise they could just write the data to non-volatile memory (as with storing routes, POIs etc) at shutdown, switch off completely, and then just read it back when next switched on?

I don't know for sure but I don't think it is updating any data from satelllites whilst in Hinernate. I take your point about usig NVM but it is also worth remember that hibernate has another purpose that of saving satellite data. Hibernate is also there for a quick start so that you don't have load windows again when you switch on and therefore that needs the trickle charge.
GPSwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavingDave wrote:
satmapian wrote:

I've used it by getting GPS lock at home, hiberbnating, then driving to start location of a walk. When it switches on it gets lock within seconds - so no waiting around before setting off.

I did similar on Monday with hibernate set to two hours. Got a sat lock at home then went by train about 40 miles to Hessle and the start of the Yorkshire Wolds Way. I got off the train and switched on the unit and had my new position on the map in about five seconds. The usual delay of standing still for several minutes for boot up and a sat lock was eliminated, and I was straight off the mark like anyone with a paper map (but I could start logging my route as well). In my opinion this feature is a big improvement to the Active 10.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSwalker wrote:
RavingDave wrote:
satmapian wrote:

I did similar on Monday with hibernate set to two hours. Got a sat lock at home then went by train about 40 miles to Hessle and the start of the Yorkshire Wolds Way. I got off the train and switched on the unit and had my new position on the map in about five seconds. The usual delay of standing still for several minutes for boot up and a sat lock was eliminated, and I was straight off the mark like anyone with a paper map (but I could start logging my route as well). In my opinion this feature is a big improvement to the Active 10.

And what did you do to the Hibernate settings when you set off ? Leave it of change it ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: