Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CPL8 - Directional Safety Camera Warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CPL8 - Directional Safety Camera Warnings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: CPL8 - Directional Safety Camera Warnings Reply with quote

Hi, can someone confirm or otherwise whether CPL8 (WM version) supports directional safety camera warnings like NNG iGO8.3. If so, is the format the same as iGO8.3 ie. X,Y,TYPE,SPEED,DIRTYPE,DIRECTION. There is no ALK support for Australian safety cameras, so I've tried editing my safetycam file to include the directional info, but it doesn't work. Can someone enlighten me please. Thanks N
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it uses a different format. if you subscribe to our database you will be able to get the australia database in the correct format.

MaFt
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CPL8 - Directional Safety Camera Warnings Reply with quote

nonno wrote:
Hi, can someone confirm or otherwise whether CPL8 (WM version) supports directional safety camera warnings like NNG iGO8.3. If so, is the format the same as iGO8.3 ie. X,Y,TYPE,SPEED,DIRTYPE,DIRECTION. There is no ALK support for Australian safety cameras, so I've tried editing my safetycam file to include the directional info, but it doesn't work. Can someone enlighten me please. Thanks N

Without taking anything away from the efforts of PGPS, for heavens sake, do not rely on the database...be extremely careful. Having spent 3 months touring around...trust me, there are many, many cameras not listed. I gave up trying to log them in the end as my wife was getting on to my case..'we're supposed to be on holiday...not keep stopping for stupid cameras, etc. etc.
nonno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply FF. No disrespect to PGPSW either, but its readily apparent from the submissions map that the AU database is nowhere near up to date (it would be unreasonable to expect that it would be). There are a couple of AU sites that provide regular updates of speed camera information (at no cost I might add) however, none are including the speed and direction information. I see this as a cooperative service rather than a fee for service type, especially since most of the information is freely available anyway. I just thought that some cooperative might just give me some pointers on how to update the files to include this extra information. I didn't think I was asking for something for nothing.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take time out to report some missing AU cams and add directional data to existing ones, you will not only improve the quality of our AU database but will probably be up for a lifetime free subscription. Very Happy
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why PGPSW would not want to try and 'do a deal' with other such similar organisations in far away places, and offer each others databases. It would be easy to add a rider..'no guarantees etc.' How else are you ever going to be able to offer a reasonable, and up to date system which we would all like to rely upon to some degree.....probably better not to offer Australia, as an example, at all at present.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer: if we don't offer any database at all then how do we get a userbase to get the new cameras logged?

'doing a deal' DOES sound like a good solution and we have approached different sites without much coming from them. most reject it as we a a commercial service and they won;t give their data to us for us to charge for it.

the uk database started in the same way - basically we're just playing catchup with the non-uk countries. this is why we offer a free lifetime subscription to ANYONE who submits a single camera that gets confirmed/verified. this offer is for anyone whether they have a subscription or not. so if someone submits a handful of australian cameras which get confirmed then they get free access to the database for life - at no cost whatsoever.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonno wrote:
its readily apparent from the submissions map that the AU database is nowhere near up to date

have you submitted the missing cameras?
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
FrequentFlyer: if we don't offer any database at all then how do we get a userbase to get the new cameras logged?

'doing a deal' DOES sound like a good solution and we have approached different sites without much coming from them. most reject it as we a a commercial service and they won;t give their data to us for us to charge for it.

the uk database started in the same way - basically we're just playing catchup with the non-uk countries. this is why we offer a free lifetime subscription to ANYONE who submits a single camera that gets confirmed/verified. this offer is for anyone whether they have a subscription or not. so if someone submits a handful of australian cameras which get confirmed then they get free access to the database for life - at no cost whatsoever.

MaFt

I understand that, but, Australia I would suggest, is going to be a total uphill struggle, (and is it really worth the effort ??)...particularly as you need all camera sightings verified as well. Next time I go, I need to find out if all camera positions are 'Public Domain', in which case I think it would be sensible to just get them all uploaded and at least then we would all be in with a fighting chance ?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
I understand that, but, Australia I would suggest, is going to be a total uphill struggle, (and is it really worth the effort ??)...particularly as you need all camera sightings verified as well.

a few submissions of the same information at the same location verifies a camera.

MaFt
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to get back to the subject of this thread which is directional cameras - has anyone else with the WM version running on a PDA seen warnings but no camera icons? I've just done a short trip down the M6 J18 to J16 then along the A500 to Stoke and there were a couple of instances where the warning came up but no icon another location that comes to mind is on the M5 south (in fact it's in both directitons) there's a mobile site on the bridge just before Frankley Services and I see the warning but no icon. Think I may experiment by taking the directional info out.

Cheers
Phil
Wiggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

I'm pretty sure what you're describing is a 'feature' of CoPilot. If you look at the 2D view, I can pretty much guarantee they'll all show, but in 3D they are somewhat more variable...
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this too, only since the latest CP8 update (or perhaps the one before). Travelling along the A31 (Hogsback) there are several mobile sites, some show icons, some don't.
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggo wrote:
Phil,

I'm pretty sure what you're describing is a 'feature' of CoPilot. If you look at the 2D view, I can pretty much guarantee they'll all show, but in 3D they are somewhat more variable...

Hi Wiggo,
I'll have a look at that. I took the direction off the site at Frankley and it has shown up in both directions not sure about the site on the M6 will have a look on Sunday night when I head south.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: