Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - VIP. PLEASE ALL HGV DRIVERS READ THIS.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

VIP. PLEASE ALL HGV DRIVERS READ THIS.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only problem i ever have with my 910 - outdated maps, but that is the same for all sat navs. Ocasionally the address on the tt might be unnamed road, but the post code is usually spot on.
the only ind est it does'nt have mapped is Cannock, above sainsburys, just off the A5/M6 toll roundabout.
Even if it does fail to get me right outside the door, it usally gets me close enough to walk a few yards and spot my destination.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read this post with interest and cannot see the argument for or against tt in all honesty Crying or Very sad I bought a tt 1 v2, it is my second sat nav, the first was a hal frauds home brand Embarassed and i cant fault the system, i know a lot of you guys go for the all singing and dancing 910, 510 etc etc, but i cant say enough for my 'entry level' device and wouldn't change it.... and when the time comes for it to be replaced i would want something as slim and convenient to use and carry about as the tt1 :D

hurrah for tt Laughing Laughing Laughing
mach1rob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Tom Tom mobile on my Nokia 6600 and I couldn't fault it at all, using the full postcode search it got me exactly where I wanted to be 100% of the time. I then changed to a Navman ICN610 and it's no where near as good as teh Tom Tom was! It wouldn't find roads, a lot of the time I'd have to physically search through on the map to find the road I wanted (office give us a printed map off multimap with paperwork) So after a few months of getting more and more irate with it I've gone out and got a TT 510 and I love it! Postcode search again hasn't let me down, and as someone mentioned above, it's got me close enough I've only had to walk a few feet to find my drop if it's not glaringly obvious.

Have you gone into the menus as you can set the routing to take into consideration of speed? You can set it that max speed is 55mph, doing that it works out a different route from maybe fastest and I find timings is pretty much spot on. The only thing I would like it to do is take into consideration maybe low bridges and weight limits, but then I suppose you can't have everything!
rebootuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, being an old trucker that is returning to trucking after a long break which satnav do I but. Does anyone have any thoughts on the TT One XL Europe? It's the new slimmer design. Any feedback would be good. Thanks
wellchilledguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tom Tom for trucking and have a database of every industrial estate, trading estate, business park etc in the UK. There are POI's out there for everything. Have a look here http://www.poihandler.com
rebootuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, me again. Well I did it, I bought the TT1 XL Europe and I gotta confess I'm impressed but maybe because it's my 1st satnav apart from an old Garmin Etrex Legend. I've been looking and searching for POI's and all sorts and was really amazed to find them readily available BUT here's my question. I found here somewhere on the forum that you can setup the TT in a fashion that is suitable for us HGV/LGV drivers. Does anyone know how this is done? Any info at the moment would be great. Certainly beats the A4 pad with directions plastered all over it, think of all those trees.

KK
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to set the routing to limited speed at 54 mph you may need to unhide the full menu

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Deus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebootUK, I think you mean selecting the fastest root and NOT absolutely not the shortest. Fastest usually means main roads, shortest is every damned back alley, sidestreet and even unlisted roads.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial poster has a valid point though. Being a european company TomTom are ignoring the fact that in other regions of the world (namely the US) people think differently when they think addresses. Over here we do indeed ALWAYS enter the street name first and then MAYBE the zip code or town name (if the map is too big). And we expect the program to list the hits by distance and direction from a search origin (So all the High Streets would be listed by that). All american programs can do this kind of address entry (street first, location second) but nearly none of the european programs support that (they all want location first, street second).

This is a cultural thing more than anything else I guess.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
thenudehamster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
The initial poster has a valid point though. Being a european company TomTom are ignoring the fact that in other regions of the world (namely the US) people think differently when they think addresses. Over here we do indeed ALWAYS enter the street name first and then MAYBE the zip code or town name (if the map is too big). And we expect the program to list the hits by distance and direction from a search origin (So all the High Streets would be listed by that). All american programs can do this kind of address entry (street first, location second) but nearly none of the european programs support that (they all want location first, street second).

This is a cultural thing more than anything else I guess.

I suspect it may be more to do with ease of searching a database. To my mind, it's more logical to search the town/city first then down the tree to street name. I've no experience of US satnav systems, despite having lived there for ten years, but I do have some experience of Americans and their culture. If there's a cultural difference, it's that Americans tend to think there's two ways of doing anything - the American way and the wrong way. Therefore, because they may be used to looking for streetname before the city name, (probably because that's how atlas indexes are arranged) they expect all systems to be that way. As there's more of us (non-Americans) than of them, it's perhaps time for them to learn that they are NOT the arbiters of everything, and that there may, occasionally, be a better way of doing things.

As for TomTom's way of arranging things, I'd prefer to see the PostCode as a top level menu item in the Navigation menu, rather than a submenu of the Address. If PostCodes are available, they are the simplest to enter - why add extra keypresses? It's a real PITA when entering a 15-drop itinerary...
I too find discrepancies in PostCodes, but unless we're talking very new new-build housing (I'm in Home Delivery of furniture, so visit a lot of the new estates) most can be found by going through the address search route instead. Occasional 'Unnamed Road' results still show up, but as others have said, the PostCode usually gets me to within a few tens of yards.

What I'd love to see is the ability to plan a route to avoid weight limits, width limits and low bridges - unlikely, I know, but I can hope...
stevecook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Service Manager for a DAF truck dealer, I treck to similer places you drivers do (alix776, I spend a lot of time in your neck of the woods at the Leyland Truck plant) and I swear by my Navman 720 ( no one has mentioned a navman yet) It has NAVPIX, and when I find where I am going, I take a photo of the place, as when I go back, simply look for the photo, real easy. Post code spot on, never missed yet, however, POI's limted to 25 types, so have to be carefull of the POI,s loaded but works great for me and abroad, gets me to the DAF factory in Eindhoven from Rotterdam or Zebrougge a treat..... Razz
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find igo8 works very well for HGV plus you can get more options by changing the skin on the menus

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: