Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FREE Points of Interest to Download for Your SatNav!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FREE Points of Interest to Download for Your SatNav!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Free POI 2 years out of date Reply with quote

Not sure how useful these are as for example ASK restaurants are two years out of date as well as Carluccios-if the paid for by subsciption is the same then do not waste your money!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Free POI 2 years out of date Reply with quote

noric wrote:
Not sure how useful these are as for example ASK restaurants are two years out of date as well as Carluccios
In what sense are they not up-to-date? If there is a new opening/closure, have you submitted a change request?
noric wrote:
if the paid for by subsciption is the same then do not waste your money!
There is no subscription model for the POIs. Have you confused us with another site?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
colinwaterhouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I cannot download a CSV version of the file either Reply with quote

colinwaterhouse wrote:
The TomTom option works fine but either nothing happens when CSV is selected or it switches to ToTom. I am using the latest version of IE 8 with medium security and Java script enabled. I tried it two weeks ago with the same problem and just again a couple of times. Sad

I was trying to down load the free POIs for the Uk following the instructions but the list of categories once I selected CSV never appears eaven if you use the refresh button by country or deselect UK then reselect it or use the refresh button on IE. It seems to work OK using compatibility mode in IE 8 though. Very Happy
noric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Free POI 2 years out of date Reply with quote

Jock,
thanks for reply-I did download your POI and was surprised that companies info are so out of date when a quick call to their marketing dept should generate an accurate update if you are serious about offering uptodate products even if free.
I was mistaken in thinking you had a POI subscription so I apologise for this error

Noric
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Free POI 2 years out of date Reply with quote

noric wrote:
Jock,
thanks for reply-I did download your POI and was surprised that companies info are so out of date when a quick call to their marketing dept should generate an accurate update if you are serious about offering uptodate products even if free.
I'm afraid that you've misunderstood the basis on which the community POIs work!
When you find that there is an inaccuracy in your local area (you haven't made it clear what the inaccuracy you've found is!), YOU submit a correction. When I find an inaccuracy in my area, I submit a correction. That way when I travel to your area, or you travel to mine, we have an up to date set of POIs to use in an area where we are each strangers. So, please, feel free to submit corrections here.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Free POI 2 years out of date Reply with quote

noric wrote:
{SNIP} when a quick call to their marketing dept should generate an accurate update

Perhaps you to do just that. But don't forget to check the accuracy, as it seems like most of them are based on postcodes, which are marginally more use than chocolate fireguards Very Happy Once done and verified, submit them here for a wonderfully complete FREE POI database. Don't forget to periodically (I would suggest once a week to keep the database fully up to date as per our cam database) have a drive around to check the accuracy of your data. Confused

PS don't forget to include the rest of the categories, not just food outlets, as well Shocked
stringman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Need a little help please Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been asked before ( I did look through all 22 pages honest)

I have tried downloading groups of catergories and then a single poi to test and I have the same problem.

I download a zipped file POIs
I then unzip it and get a file called POIs
it is slightly larger than the zipped file as you would expect but is not a ov2 file (in fact when I do properties it just says file)

very confused now

any ideas?

thanks in advance
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stringman,

Please try again, ensuring that you do the following:

1. Select the country e.g. 'United Kingdom'.
2. Select 'Refresh'
3. Select the SatNav System.
4. Select the box next to the category Bank.
5. Select the radio button "Combine subcategories into category file".
6. Click the Download button.

I'm not saying that you've done anything wrong, it's just that you may need to try one or two times to get the files that you need.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
stringman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

privateer

many many thanks for your prompt response.
That seemed to work perfectly.

what a great and helpful forum
one thing though
can i get the poi as seperate items at all ( so i canget only certain supermarkets highlighted at one time for instance)

thanks again

Andy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below 'Click Here' on the right side of the Download page you will find 'Quick Help' on selecting categories and subcategories as separate files. Basically, tick the '+' box next to the category you want, eg supermarkets and all the subcategories will be listed. You can then tick the individual entries you want to download, such as Tesco, in that list.

Or did you mean you wanted to download all supermarkets to your satnav, say, but then choose which ones, such as Tesco, to display on screen at different times? If so, ticking 'supermarkets' to download the lot should still let you sort individual chains separately, as each will still be a different file.

(BUT depending on your satnav, downloading lots of different POI files can overload the memory; in that case you may NEED to actually reduce file numbers by consolidating some, as described in the help notes, including using the "Combine subcategories into category file" button.)
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

stringman wrote:
one thing though, can i get the poi as seperate items at all ( so i canget only certain supermarkets highlighted at one time for instance)

Yes you can. Look for the following in the POI download page and select the first radio button option "Separate files per subcategory"

4. How should the files be created?
Separate files per subcategory
Combine subcategories into category file

Also, to be on the safe side, download in batches that contain no more than 20 subcategories.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
stringman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all

top stuff
something to do whilst snowed in!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you have to be a bit clever deciding whether you use the "combine while downloading" feature OR you use separate downloads and and then use POI edit to merge the categories in order to get the POIs named just how you want.

For example:
Doing a combined download is good for Supermarkets, as it puts the company name at the front of each entry:
Quote:
Sainsburys, Balham
Tesco, Clapham
Lidl, Streatham
etc.
etc.

But if you do it like that with 'pubs' and 'dining pubs' it will put "pub" at the front of everything:
Quote:
Pub, Paddington, Royal Standard
Pub, Paddington, The Monkey Puzzle
Dining Pub, Paddington, Prince Bonaparte
etc.
etc.

....which I don't want!

Doing a "single" download only calls the entire file by the category name, not the individual entries:
Quote:
Paddington, Royal Standard
Paddington, The Monkey Puzzle
etc.
etc.

So what you want is a way to control whether the category name gets added to the front of each entry, or not.

For my particular mix of POIs, this is how I do it....

ELEC SHOPS:
Select from: Shopping / Consumer Electrics:
Comet
Currys
Currys Digital
Maplin
PC World
- Download them all combined - easy.

DIY:
Select from: DIY+Home:
B&Q
Focus
Homebase
Wickes
- Download all combined...
Next, select from Shopping / Other:
Halfords
PLUS (and here's the sneaky bit) any other category with as few entries as possible, and download those combined.

Then you use POI Edit to delete the ones you don't want, leaving the Halfords ones all with the word "Halfords" at the front. Finally use POI edit's "Append" function to merge merge the DIY and the Halfords files together

FUEL
De-select all the Diesel and fuel card entries to avoid duplicates.
- then download combined.

PUBS
Select from: Food and Drink,
Download 'Pub' singly.
Then:
Download 'Dining Pub'+'Wetherspoons' (+ any others you like), TOGETHER.
Then use POI Edit to merge that file with 'Pub' - I use the Dining pubs icon - it's nicest.

SUPERMARKETS
- Download all desired categories combined
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded a large zip file of the POI I wanted. How do you install them on to your TomTom?

I have only ever installed them using TomTom Home.

Tom Tom Home 2.7.6.2056
Windows XP/Vista
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse9 wrote:
I've downloaded a large zip file of the POI I wanted. How do you install them on to your TomTom?

I have only ever installed them using TomTom Home.

extract the files from the .zip and copy the extracted files into your map folder.

The name of your map folder will depend on what map your device has e.g. United_Kingdom or Western_Europe etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: