Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quality of TomTom Premium camera data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quality of TomTom Premium camera data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Quality of TomTom Premium camera data Reply with quote

(This and subsequent replies split from THIS topic as it was drifting well away from the original question (now resolved))

I am sure that TT only provide the Safety Cameras for the comedy value, best to disable the alerts from the TT cameras and use the ones from here.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
I am sure that TT only provide the Safety Cameras for the comedy value, best to disable the alerts from the TT cameras and use the ones from here.

I think that's a little unfair.

I've never installed the PGPSW database on a Tomtom because all the false alerts due to lack of directionality has always been a deal-breaker for me. Having said that, I've been running my 740 LIVE side-by-side with an Inforad K1 running PGPSW's database recently. To be honest, I haven't seen a great deal of difference. Except that you get fewer false alerts on the Tomtom, of course, because it's route-sensitive, whereas the K1 is not. There's the odd mobile location alerted on one, but not the other, but we're talking penny numbers. I expect the K1, now that Inforad's implementation of the PGPSW database is fixed, to be quicker at removing redundant sites, though - it has always taken Tomtom too long to do this in my experience.

The main advantage of the K1 is that you get the PGPSW database free, whereas the Tomtom requires a subscription. And the excellent support from PGPSW here is incomparable to Tomtom's woeful efforts.

Just my tuppence worth.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not false alerts though and that is the fault of TomTom and not us for not allowing us to offer directional alerts.

It is my experience and the findings of many others who compare the data regularly that there are many more issues with TT's database than your summary suggests.

Coverage of mobiles is one example as I have witnessed on many occasions. I have passed at least half a dozen live mobiles that my 940 knew nothing about. Given they are the sites MOST likely to catch you then it makes the TT data pointless and I'll take the non-directional warning issues over a missed mobile any day of the week.

Another is database currency. Time after time I have come across cameras that TT have yet to add or cameras that have moved or been removed yet TT still report in the previous locations. So much so that I simply wouldn't trust their data full stop.

Even your experience suggests our data is as good as RA/TT. We are cheaper and release more regular updates on top. But I'd argue we are a great deal better, as we should be given our data collection mechanisms which are far superior to RoadAngels.

TomTom' had a head start at the outset because it was quite clear that they harvested our data. But their head start hasn't helped them keep the data uptodate Twisted Evil
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
...database currency. Time after time I have come across cameras that TT have yet to add or cameras that have moved or been removed yet TT still report in the previous locations. So much so that I simply wouldn't trust their data full stop.

Tomtom are slow to add and slow to remove, for sure (viz, to wit and ergo the temp SPECS on the A1 at Team Valley saga).

Quote:
Even your experience suggests our data is as good as RA/TT. We are cheaper and release more regular updates on top...

And even cheaper via Inforad, as I said. The value proposition of a £30 Inforad unit + free PGPSW updates is impossible to beat.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to mobile sites, obviously 99% of the time they won't actually be there.
So... If, as you say:
Seamaster wrote:

I've never installed the PGPSW database on a Tomtom

....how do you know just how many potential sites the TomTom (and you) are missing getting alerts for?

The Mobile site coverage is one of the most glaring inadequacies of the TomTom data.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, it's just my experience running Tomtom and PGPSW on my Inforad K1 side-by-side.

I don't have any vested interested in either. I'm only speaking as I find.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget mobile cameras get you in both directions. Alerting in one direction ony is useless for mobiles.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do approx 40k a year and the TT database for specs and mobiles is so far out of date it is comical.

I can't give exact locations, but they are still reporting specs cameras on the M6 that were removed many months ago, and don't have ones added that have been there for more than a month.

I ran both sets of (PGPSW and TT) at the same time on my XL LIVE for 3 months and can't remember a false alert on PGPSW (except directional), the TT had numerous on each trek up and down the motorways. Any missing cameras from PGPSW were always in the next release.

Just my personal experience.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if I wasn't a camera verifier, I think would be rather nervous if I went past a camera on the other side of the road and didn't see and hear it on the TomTom. It just gives me the confidence that nothing is missing.

(As there as more posts on the quality of TT's data than there were on the original (now resolved) question, I'll split them off to their own topic.)
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy that confused me - I just noticed a thread I didn't recall starting Laughing Out Loud
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used the TT database so can't comment....technically that makes me off topic.. Wink

Another vote for PWGPS, very rarely an error, but directional alerts would be nice. However as a previous poster said, I can put up with that for accurate mobile alerts.

Wasn't always the same though, I went a couple of years with an origin B2 at an ourageous amount of money, as the first versions of this database were pretty poor.....I suppose as you might expect.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: