Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Politics Discussion Split from VAT Thread
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Politics Discussion Split from VAT Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarrenR21373
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VAT Up but our Speed Camera Database still £19.99 Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
If as is feared, the Chancellor chooses to hike VAT again later this year we may not be able to avoid a price increase at that point but for now, nothing changes and our database is even better value.

Hopefully we will be having an Election in March before the current bunch of wallies in Number 10 can screw the economy any further with yet more tax rises in a recession...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VAT Up but our Speed Camera Database still £19.99 Reply with quote

DarrenR21373 wrote:
Hopefully we will be having an Election in March before the current bunch of wallies in Number 10 can screw the economy any further with yet more tax rises in a recession...

True but does anyone honestly believe any of the other parties are any better?

I'm afraid they are all as bad as each other and voting for a new Government will not change the status quo one iota. They are all in it for themselves at the end of the day and will do whatever is necessary to keep the other parties out rather than what is best for the rest of us.

The old adage that a desire to be a politician ought exclude you from ever being one is as true as ever Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, "Parties" is a pretty good name for them - Cheese and Wine, Garden, Lakeside, Housewarming, Second House Housewarming, Duckhousewarming, you name it, and all on expenses!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VAT Up but our Speed Camera Database still £19.99 Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

I'm afraid they are all as bad as each other and voting for a new Government will not change the status quo one iota.

I would normally agree with that but surely if the Tory party is elected they will get reminded of the 'no government funding for any new fixed cameras' pledge?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft, what difference would that make, they make more than enough money to self fund!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VAT Up but our Speed Camera Database still £19.99 Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:
Darren wrote:

I'm afraid they are all as bad as each other and voting for a new Government will not change the status quo one iota.

I would normally agree with that but surely if the Tory party is elected they will get reminded of the 'no government funding for any new fixed cameras' pledge?

By whom? By somebody important with loads of influence? By somebody who can sack them if they don't stick to their pledge? Anyway, that's easily overcome, they simply tell local Councils and SCPs to fund them themselves and there'll just happen to be enough in the moneybags from government to spare some for that good cause.

Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: VAT Up but our Speed Camera Database still £19.99 Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
By whom? By somebody important with loads of influence? By somebody who can sack them if they don't stick to their pledge?

Well yes, that's us the voters - we're very important with loads of influence when it comes to elections and then have the opportunity to sack them. I'm assuming the Tories are looking for more than a 5 year term?
I'm a floating voter and on the day may vote on a single issue that's important to me - it could be immigration, scroungers on the dole or this time it may be speed cameras. There may be other people like me so I reckon election pledges are important.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Don't ask me, I'm 70 years old, grumpy as hell and disillusioned with all politicians of whichever persuasion. Does anybody know even ONE London based politician who didn't claim a penny in expenses to get to his workplace? There must have been at least one who lived in his/her constituency in London and was therefore able to travel to either workplace under the same arrangements as I and millions of others used to - namely at our own expense?

Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine who works at the PoW (Palace of Westminster), gets to hear a lot of things - and keeps me posted as best can.
Apparently Stephen Pound ( Labour Ealing) is one of a very few to come out smelling relatively clean. Makes very few expense claims and the ones he does are 'reasonable'.

Staff working at the PoW of various political factions have a lot of respect for him by all accounts.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're important only in getting us to vote for them! Then they are quickly forgotten.

Anyway, we're not a political forum, I despise all politicians equally so let's move back to the topic please Smile
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VAT Up but our Speed Camera Database still £19.99 Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
DarrenR21373 wrote:

I'm afraid they are all as bad as each other and voting for a new Government will not change the status quo one iota. They are all in it for themselves at the end of the day and will do whatever is necessary to keep the other parties out rather than what is best for the rest of us.

The old adage that a desire to be a politician ought exclude you from ever being one is as true as ever Laughing

I agree with that Darren; would like to add though; "some are better than others" Heaven help us if the Tories get back in ! As there will be no help on this earth ! Unless of course you earn more than £100K pa; and expect a big inheritence windfall, which will be Tax Free. And 'bang' will go the proposed higher rate of Income Tax for the massive earners. Rolling Eyes
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anybody know even ONE London based politician who didn't claim a penny in expenses to get to his workplace?

Diane Abbot came out squeaky clean when I did a bit of research into the pigs trough.

However, my local MP claimed for anything and everything, one thing really annoyed me, he lives within 1 hour of London by train and can easily get to and from Westminster like thousands of others have to from north Kent.

I wrote to him, see below, but have yet to receive a reply.

Quote:
Dear Paul Clark.

My wife received a letter from you today ENVIRONMENT UPDATE where you state you have written to the Department for Energy and Climate Change 221 times to raise concerns or questions on behalf of constituents.

You go on to say ‘You may know last year I was appointed to a Ministerial position at the Department for Transport……’ and go on to say ‘……. making sure we take into account how we can reduce the number of cars on the road…….’

Checking your expenses for 2007/8 I notice it shows….

Regular journeys between home/constituency/Westminster:

Mileage £3,441 - Rail £211

To put this in perspective please note the following.

£3441 = 3441 litres (approx) or 757 gallons.

Assume your car covers 40 mpg x 757 gallons = 30281 miles.

Divide this figure by 365 days and you cover 82 miles per day. (Medway to London return)

These figures could of course be inaccurate if you receive a mileage allowance instead of say 25p per mile, in which case, using 40 mpg, you would be receiving £10 per gallon and the figures I’ve quoted would only be one tenth of what I’ve shown.

They would also be inaccurate if your vehicle covered less than 40 mpg.

I’ve used 365 days travel but know, with the holidays politicians have, you do not travel that many times to Westminster.

To enable me to get a better picture of how ‘environmentally friendly’ your travel is, could you please let me know the following?

1. The mileage allowance for your vehicle.
2. Engine size and whether petrol or diesel. (Would prefer make and model)
3. How many journeys you made from Medway to Westminster.

I will then be able to work out accurately if we can ‘reduce the number of cars on the road’ by at least ONE.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Yours sincerely

G. Cook (Mr.)

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Diane Abbot came out squeaky clean when I did a bit of research into the pigs trough.

Out of a total of £131,000 claimed - Office £20,000, Staffing £90,000, Communications £8,000. Perhaps needed in order for staff to do her MP job whilst she's raking in over £20,000 from BBC's "This Week" programme?

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough Dennis, but I was thinking more on the lines of which she never claimed, unlike my MP, who also claimed in addition to office and staff expenses that shown below. He ignored my letters. However, I just received an e-mail from him asking for donations and help in distributing his leaflets ready for the coming election.

Quote:
Dear Paul Clark,

I e-mailed you several weeks ago regarding expenses but to date have received no reply. Due to this I investigated your expenses further on the House of Commons site.

The first thing I must point out is, you claimed £343.48 for Gas in March 2006 and claimed again for the same bill in May 2006. I assume you will repay this amount.

The second is, in October 2004 your Mortgage/Rent was £733.40 and increased to £923.03 the following month. What is the reason for this large increase?. In March 2007 you had been claiming Mortgage/Rent £887.11 and Council Tax £94.00, these increased from April onwards to £1175.35 and £145.10. Again a large increase which I believe needs explaining.

On these occasions which house had you designated as your second home before and after these increases? Did you switch back and forth?

I extracted the following from documents released by the House of Commons for Paul Clark – Additional Cost Allowances.

January 2008
Decorate Bedroom £230
March 2008
Service/Maintenance £980 - Repairs £149.96
April – December 2007
Repairs £68.65 per month Total £617.85
January 2006
Curtains £235
Hoover Repairs £66
Drains/Plumber £180
February 2006
Extractor Fan £156
Glazing £220
March 2006
New Fence £585.33
Carpet £626.10
Floor Sanding £580
Gas £343.48 (also claimed in May 2006)
April 2006
Cooker Repair £109.47
May 2006
Outside Painting £1036.30
Gas £343.48 (also claimed in March 2006)
July 2006
Repairs (blacked out) £1085
Porch Works £1700
January 2005
Mattress and Shelves £189.99
Microwave Oven £169.99
February 2005
Window Repair £50
March 2005
Cooker Hob Repair £62.28
May 2005
Replace Vacuum Cleaner £239.95
September 2005
Garden Fence Repair £189
November 2005
Fridge/Freezer £431.90
December 2005
Redecorate kitchen £250
August 2004
Electric call out £38.19
Electrical work £207.97
September 2004
New floor £958.98
October 2004
Washing Machine £549.95
November 2004
Repair cellar window £245
December 2004
Repairs (blacked out) £434.75
--------------------------------------
Food Bill for
2004 - £1130
2005 - £1140
2006 - £1360
2007 - £445
2008 - £240

Cleaning Bill
2004 - £1025
2005 - £1300
2006 - £1175
2007 - £640
2008 - £60

Gardener
2004 - £520
2005 - £415
2006 - £810
2007 - £0
2008 - £0

Washing Machine, Fridge Freezer, Vacuum Cleaner, Microwave Oven, Mattress and shelves, and July 2006 Repairs (blacked out) £1085 (what was this for?), Porch Works £1700? Just a few items of the many on the list, how can you justify everything being paid for by the taxpayer?

Yours sincerely,

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you ask him about a new vacuum cleaner £239.95 in May 2005 then hoover repairs £66 in January 2006 - Vera has to make do with one vacuum cleaner which costs new no more than £66.

I shall now go google to find out who my MP is and have a bit of a look at his expenses.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: