Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mountain Rescue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mountain Rescue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Mountain Rescue Reply with quote

The other day I spoke to a guy who's on the mountain rescue near Buxton. He tells me 30 members of the team are using Active 10s. I guess those boys don't talk about what they get up to, but wouldn't it be nice to hear about how it is used in difficult circumstances? The only time I've read about MR using it was a grumbling early adopter on Amazon and his comment stayed on there for ages.
Talking of which, it would be good if satisfied forum users wrote some positive feedback on Amazon, cos there's negative stuff on there which won't do any of us any good! The more business Satmap do, perhaps the quicker the updates that we want will come about?? I don't know.

Separately, I am delighted with v1.4, especially hibernate mode and the new POI icons. So exciting seeing improvements in the unit and without paying (much!) - it's been brilliant for walking in the fine weather. Satmap owe me a commission as well, cos I've had at least 4 people saying they're getting one now!! And the number of people I've helped out in the hills is ever increasing - plus a few times now, I've been coming in with more people than I set off with. Smile

Lastly, what does anyone think about the full user guide? Personally I think it's more of a reference manual and therefore something I avoid, but I briefly checked it out yesterday and it seems OK?
ian2u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Mountain Rescue Reply with quote

My main use has been on searches in farmland or forestry areas where you do field by field, gives useful record of what you have covered.

A touch screen where you could trace round the areas to be searched would be even better, but touch screens dont work so well in the conditions we work in.

With rescues you tend to have a load of people all starting from the same RV going to a known location so individual navigation not so critical so dont need SatMap. Ditto searches on open ground / moorland.

Impressed with the Active 10 after a year of use.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a feeling satmapian has a technique for 'outlining' areas - you might like to check his posts in case it's something that would work with you.
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Doesn't ring any bells with me BigPerk. I just create and follow routes. Very Happy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it was 4ndynorfolk Embarassed
Quote:

One tip I would like to pass on regarding custom maps and Premium National Park maps in particular is:

On the Satmap, move the joystick to find the edge of the 25k or 50k OS map (it will be on a grid line) and follow it making a waypoint at every corner. The route may have lots of unforseen corners.
I wasn't sure if the idea might be useful to ian2u
ian2u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Active 10 & MR Searching Reply with quote

We use one or more fields as search areas in rural areas so a vector map base would have been ideal. But with raster it really does has to be an overlay and a touch screen.

Different subject but it would also be very useful if the Li-pol battery was a module that just lifted out and you could put in 3 AA batteries instead if you had run out of power. Hard to remember to keep it charged up all the time instead of in your rucksack which you can just grap on a callout. It is a very Heath Robinson arrangement.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and you will probably have seen in a separate thread that changing bettween Li-Pol and AAs soon b****rs up the wires and contacts, though it does seem that Satmap are realising the'HRness' of the arrangement and may be bringing something better out in the (not too distant?) future.

In the meantime, take care with switching batteries Rolling Eyes
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
though it does seem that Satmap are realising the'HRness' of the arrangement and may be bringing something better out in the (not too distant?) future

Not seen anything about this.

Come on Big Perk spill the beans.

Will it be backwards compatible ?

Ian
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry Ian, I think I must have dozed off in front of Christmas telly and had a wishful dream - can't find what I was thinking of anywhere.
donie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other MR folk using SatMaps?
New user from Ireland
jjb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cave Rescue Organisation which is also the MR team for the 3 Peaks area of the Yorkshire Dales, actively use Satmaps www.cro.org.uk

All cave entrances and underground to surface radio location points are stored as POI's in each unit (many hundred). All three CRO Land-rovers have Satmaps mounted in front of the passenger seat using "bike" mounts. These can then be easily viewed whilst on route to an incident, selecting access routes etc. as well as "slotted out" to go onto the fell. At times far easier but also no substitute for using old fashioned paper maps (laminated).

CRO would like to thank Satmap for the support that they have shown to the team. Especially by accommodating our specific requirements on SD cards during the recent version 1.4 upgrade.

Jon Beavan
Duty Controller CRO
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjb wrote:

CRO would like to thank Satmap for the support that they have shown to the team. Especially by accommodating our specific requirements on SD cards during the recent version 1.4 upgrade.

Jon Beavan
Duty Controller CRO

What did they do for you Jon, what were your requirements?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: