Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - VIRUS's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

VIRUS's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: VIRUS's Reply with quote

Why after signing up for these forums have i started getting BOGGED down with virus's. This is the ONLY forum where i gave my email address to. To TEST this, i changed my email address in the profile to an OLD one i have,, and low and behold I have started getting VIRUS's there as well.

I await your reply.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Delboy,

Viruses are a right pain! How are you getting these viruses? Do you receive them via emails or do they just appear on your system?

I use MailWasher to combat Spam email and delete it on my ISP’s server without having to download it to MS Outlook. I also use MailWasher to delete any email that comes from an unknown source, especially if the email has a dodgy looking subject line.

I use a personal Firewall, my preferred one is ZoneAlarm, and the free version is very good. NB if you use ZoneAlarm, you may have to configure it to allow cookies from the PocketGPS World website to stay on your PC.

I use an up-to-date virus checker, i.e. Norton, to stop viruses.

I use Ad-Aware and SpyBot to remove any potential spyware like: Data mining, aggressive advertising, Parasites, Keyloggers, selected traditional Trojans, Diallers, Malware, Browser hijackers, and tracking components, etc.

I’m afraid that I can’t offer any reason why you’re affected by viruses after signing up for the PocketGPS World forum. I’ve been a member since December 2002 and I’ve not had any viruses due to this website.

Has anybody else encountered viruses, which you think have a connection with you having signed up for these forums?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I also use mailwasher, good job to, everytime i want to check emails, i use mailwasher first. As the virus's are coming through emails, it's the "Nesky" virus i 'm be plagued with. Didn't happen until i signed up for these forums.

Crying or Very sad
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delboy,

Is your real email tech_port at hotmail dot com?

If so you will probably find that you have published this email address to the web community and anyone could have picked it up.

We are very careful regarding security at PocketGPSWorld.com. Before Dave worked for GPSW he was an Internet security consultant. So we have the knowhow to quash these things.

If you seriously suspect that PocketGPSWorld.com is the source of these could you please forward a sample to me as an attachment, and we will investigate further.

My address is mike at pocketgpsworld.com
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MikeB

No,,Tech_port isn't my normal email address, i changed my email address in my profile after getting swamped with virus's.

When i signed up, i put my real address, or should i have put my secondary email address in.

As soon as another comes through i'll let you have a copy,,,,

cheers.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best feature is to not show your email address, you can do this in your profile. Spammers do have scripts to run against websites that will run through hundreds of forums at a time, pulling of email links, so it's quite possible that if your email (your correct one) was being displayed than this has happened. The only way to prevent this from happening is disabling the showing of your email address in your profile and isn't a security vulnerability of the site per se.

If you turn off displaying your email address, if people really want to get in touch with you and you are not running any kind of popup blocker than people can PM you and you can use the web mail interface within the forum. The best part of this is only registered users can page you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: