Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advanced Planning in Sygic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advanced Planning in Sygic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Advanced Planning in Sygic Reply with quote

Having changed over to Mobile Maps 9 there is one thing that I am missing from my old TTN6 (never thought I would say that). That is the advanced planning option. I found that very useful. I could check distances etc easily (for business mileage records) and if I was flying and hiring a car somewhere I could set it up easily beforehand.

Is there any way to advance plan in Mobile Maps 9 please? I have tried setting an itinerary with just the start and finish point but my present position always gets added as the start point when I go to calculate the route. Any other ideas please?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you set an itinerary with no GPS signal (either turn off the GPS or be in a no signal place) then you will be asked to specify the start point (in the same way you are when you try an set a normal route without signal). So far this is the only way I have found to create an itinerary which doesn't go from your present location.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarymonkey

once again thanks for your assistance. It does work but it is much clunkier than TT.

You cannot choose to route from an address or postcode or POI or favourite for example. Instead you can only use your last position, wait for a valid signal or choose a position on the map. A complete pain when you want to know how long it will take to get from one address (airport for example) to another.

You can't use the address of the airport or it being a POI near a city to set your start point. Instead you have to try to find the position of the airport on the map, which starts with a view of the whole of Europe. How do I know where Dusseldorf is on that map and even if I did how would I know where Dusseldorf Airport is in relation to Dusseldorf for example? That is why I need the ******* sat nav in the first place!
Copilot for USA
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you are aware but when you choose the find on map option, click options and then find to give you access to addresses, post codes, POI etc.

I agree it is a little clunky and I did make a suggestion to allow start points to be manually defined easily when McGuider 2009 was first released. Unfortunately nothing much has changed since on this.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarymonkey

that will teach me not to engage mouth before brain! Embarassed

Thanks for showing how it can be done. Having just checked I can see that it works. So a bit clunkier than TT but still works and does what I want.

It is just a pain having to remember to switch off the GPS before going into the app and then remember to switch it back on again after I have exited. Or is there a way of doing that from within Sygic that I have missed?
Copilot for USA
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using WinMo still (mainly because Android doesn't have the option AFAIK)? If so then go to menu/Settings/GPS Hardware and there is an option to turn off the GPS from there. I believe you can also get to this by clicking the signal meter on the front page and then the hardware soft button.

BTW if you have suggestions on improving SMM, Sygic are always happy to receive them on the support@ email address.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarymonkey

I am using Android. And as you rightly say there is no "GPS hardware" option in the settings. And you only get the signal meter when you click on the signal strength meter when you have switched off the GPS, which is useless because all of the info is blank and there is no hardware soft button.
Copilot for USA
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should of read your sig as that told me the phone Embarassed

Android has to be done before launching the app. Much of the blame for this can be placed at Googles door though since they removed the option of standard applications to control location services (turn on/off GPS or cell based locations) with Android 1.5.
nevinlee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally agree. You must go for android before launching the application. It will really help you out.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you spot the age of this thread before you posted your blatently advertising addition. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: