Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - dead 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

dead 910
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update on this topic in case it helps anyone else.

My previously "dead " 910 is working fine now and has since the last post(not the bugle variety) . It seems it was a charging problem after all. Bad contacts methinks. My point is this.... just because you see a green light on the TT when you mount it in the car mount, doesn`t necessarily mean it is charging. If you tap the satellite meter on the main screen , have a look at the battery condition meter. It should say "charging". If not, jiggle the TT a little till it does. I check it every time now as I previously thought the green light was enough.
Every day is a school day Very Happy
wasitken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: dead 910 Reply with quote

Having same problem... dead 910, wont start at all. tried everything until i read tenorplayers post... unit had been sitting for a month in its case alone and unloved. took it to the car, put charger in, green light came on so i forced it down on the mount and pressed the 'on' button....as though it was tormenting me the tomtom sound played and the splash screen showed... b**tard... Evil or Very Mad then it stayed there... and stayed and stayed and stayed... left it charging for ages but still splash screen. reset the little f***** and ... and ... nothing. back to square one. a dead 910. I'm convinced now that it's not really dead, merely sleeping.
Have to leave it alone and unloved again for a few days then i'm going to strip it down and check all connections, buttons etc to see if I can wake the lazy bu**er up. keep updated next week when i get back from work. I use my tt for work constantly and ended up having to buy a replacement... a live xl iq route europe. if i get my 910 going anybody want to buy a nearly new xl iq route???
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with it. I was convinced it was dead but just make sure it is "jiggled" on to the mount and if it boots, check the battery meter for "charging" .... Goodluck with it. Very Happy
wasitken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: "dead" 910 Reply with quote

Ok.. to continue... After my dead 910 showed signs of life i endeavoured to persevere with it. found my mains charger and base mount and then plugged it in, I ignored the urge to plug the satnav directly into the mains without the charger Twisted Evil
after charging for an hour i switched mr satnav on and up comes the first screen followed by the next... and then it stopped... again.
Turned it off and back on but plugged usb into laptop..... sucess... it connected to windoze.
then remembered something about Mapsettings.cfg causing a prob, so i deleted it. (it should write a new one when... if... it boots up)
Disconnected... wait... reset... switch on.... The bl**dy thing only goes and works dunnit... so now i have two tomtoms... one i'm not sure i trust now and one i dont really want.... bl**dy things... worse than computers....
Maybe i should have plugged it directly into the mains... or just gone for the lump hammer... give it time Cool
Anyway... seems like the mount is a problem not making proper connection to allow charging even though the green light is on as per posts in topic... try different mount. Once mine had charge in it it refused to start semmingly because of mapsettings.cfg which i deleted.
Road test time Confused
wasitken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: dead 910 Reply with quote

quick update. left it on charge last night.
came to it in morning and battery nearly dead, moved it gently on cradle and started charging again.
Would appear that problem is definately contacts on tomtom unit not making good connection. even though green light is on it doesnt mean it is charging. Rolling Eyes
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear there`s life in the old dog. Mine still behaving too.
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This leads me to wonder how many "unfortunates" have thrown perfectly servicable GOs away thinking they were finished Crying or Very sad
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: dead 910 Reply with quote

wasitken wrote:
moved it gently on cradle and started charging again.
On mine it was a "dry joint" between the multi-pin connector and the PCB. Once I'd found a soldering iron, small enough to do the job, it seems to have done the trick.

But I'm still keeping a piece of wood tightly clenched in my hand. Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit too nervous to open mine up Shocked
wasitken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: 'dead' 910 Reply with quote

Ok.. 910 seems to have been given a new lease of life Shocked Drove back to Uk from Zagreb with two tomtoms in windscreen. 910 & xl route. ... 910 performed just as well as the xl route... subject to a charge getting into the unit...
Home soon so I will have to find a crowbar and a hacksaw so that i can take it apart and find out why it has got bad connection... first stop is looking for dry solder joints like oldboy had.... time to get the blowtorch out Twisted Evil

Merry Xmas
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 'dead' 910 Reply with quote

wasitken wrote:
Home soon so I will have to find a crowbar and a hacksaw so that i can take it apart
Not quite as bad as that. Wink

10 tiny Torx screws, in total, and it nearly falls apart. Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
wasitken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: dead 910 Reply with quote

10 tiny torx screws !!! ??? Crying
I was looking forward to getting the 'real' tools out of the box Smile
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the android version of that old classic " Ten tiny fingers, ten tiny torx "?
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the android version of that old classic " Ten tiny fingers, ten tiny torx "?..... OOOH
wasitken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: dead 910 Reply with quote

Laughing that make me larf tenorplayer...
anyway.. back to dismembering... sorry dismantling my 910...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: