Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MM emtac BT blues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MM emtac BT blues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uro_who
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: MM emtac BT blues Reply with quote

I am using MM with an emtac and 4150. I just cant get the set up to work well.

Emtac came set on port 6. This is what I usually do:-

Connect emtac via BT (paired device)
run MM
if I leave MM on port 6 then it connects.
GPS works for a short while say 90 seconds
Then dies
multiple errors, cant connect to com port rs232 error etc
need to do a soft reset and start again

If I set MM to port 8 everything locks out immediately and has to be reset without ever making a connection.

I mainly wanted to use it for walking but was considering it for aviation (bought CAA maps). This situation might make it slightly dangerous for aviation use!

crux view can see the BTGPS and stays connected indefinately.

Any idea whats going on here?

Many thanks.

Mike Henley.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

When using my Emtac BTGPS with MM I use Menu | GPS | Setup... and Manufacturer NMEA, Port COM8: Bluetooth Serial Port. The Baud rate does not appear to matter as I have just tried 4800, 9600 and 19200 and Satellites were visible on all settings.

I am using MM 2004 now but it was the same on the earlier version. My PDA is an iPAQ 3970 running PocketPC 2002. The Emtac is set to NMEA not Sirf. The Emtac setting can be changed using Crux_View.

Richard
uro_who
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: BT dropout Reply with quote

Thanks Richard,

I've tried all of the usual. Maps moved from SD to main memory. Tried device paired and unpaired. Not running any other software. It just decides every now and then (30-200 seconds) its had enough and then will not reconnect. It certainly would not be in any way usuable.

Typically I bought the maps, gps and pda from 3 different sets of people so I haven't even got the send it all back and ask the vendor to sort it out option.

Are you connected via blue tooth and dont get drop outs?

I am starting to worry that no-one has actually managed to make this work on a 2200 or 4150. I see lots of posts about bluetooth stack failures and BT drop out. After all, a 4150 is a 2200 with wifi. I also note that the 2200 has a rom update, is it beyond the bounds of possibility that HP forgot to make the relevant changes in the 4150 ROM?

Is it my pda version, should I take it back and get a tosh e800 or is the memory map, btgps an emporers new clothes situation and no-one has managed to make it work outside their study?

Thanks

Mike H.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest have you recently installed the TomTom GPS 3 update? This seem to cause the same effects on my MMOS2004
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Emtac, and many other BT GPS devices working correctly on my 2210, so if the 4150 is the same architecture then this is not the issue.

I can run both MM2003 and MM2004 with no problems. The only drop out problems like you are describing that I have experienced occured with a faulty GPS and another time when the processor was heavily loaded.

Are you running anything else in the background when this occurs?
uro_who
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: EMTAC blues Reply with quote

Thanks,

I have tried with everything else stopped. No difference. The only other thing of note is that if I try to use crux_view to change any settings on the emtac the whole system locks and then comes up with a communication error. This makes me suspect the BTGPS.

The MM software was the first thing installed on the PPC so I don't think there is a clash. I haven't got any other mapping software loaded.

What should I do/send back for an exchange first. I was thinking BTGPS, any thoughts.

Ta

Mike Henley
uro_who
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: EMTAC blues gone Reply with quote

I thought I ought to update this thread. I sent the emtac back and the replacement is perfect. Great results with memory-map and tomtom3.

The reason I took so long to reply was that I was having so much fun!

Mike H.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: EMTAC blues gone Reply with quote

uro_who wrote:

The reason I took so long to reply was that I was having so much fun!

Glad everything worked out for you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: