Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Toggleable maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Toggleable maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Toggleable maps Reply with quote

On the Services/Toggleable maps page of Satmap's site, it states: "However, it is possible to customise your own map and make your existing maps toggleable too."

Can anyone shed light on how this is done?
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Toggleable maps Reply with quote

smashing wrote:
On the Services/Toggleable maps page of Satmap's site, it states: "However, it is possible to customise your own map and make your existing maps toggleable too."

Can anyone shed light on how this is done?

It looks like you have to send your mapcard in to them and pay a further £14.99 to make your maps toggleable. The website seems to suggest that some future maps will come with this facility already enabled.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: 'Active Map' Display.......(No more ?) Reply with quote

On one of my cards, I have 5 maps loaded by Satmap earlier this year, and the 'toggling' doesn't work.
More to the point, the latest software doesn't seem to allow me to toggle through my maps on the main menu anymore. Anybody any idea how to view my maps ? All the maps are working OK as I've checked them against the numerous routes that I have saved on the SD card, but when I go to the main menu, 'Active Map' is now blank, whereas it used to display the map you were using at the time, and allow you to change to a different map.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other problem that the above gives me, is that I can no longer 'Create a new route', as hitting that button doesn't allow me to choose anyone of my 5 maps, it seems to default to the last map that I was using.
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello FF, just to confirm that "Active Map" is blank on mine too, although my maps are on separate cards and so I've not been able to swap between them from the menu.
You don't think they've broken them on purpose just so they can sell toggleable maps do you? Confused
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never ploteed routes that way. Never occurred to me.

I usually zoom out to the GB base map, centre on a place near where I want the route, and zoom in.

I also find having a "route" plotted around the edge of each map useful (need to select inactive roures visible).
GPSwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:
Hello FF, just to confirm that "Active Map" is blank on mine too, although my maps are on separate cards and so I've not been able to swap between them from the menu.
You don't think they've broken them on purpose just so they can sell toggleable maps do you? Confused

I have just upgraded to the new v.1.4 software and find that whichever SD map card is inserted, the Main Menu page 'Active Map' is blank. This looks like a possible software snag that you have found planetnine. The Active Route is okay, and the maps all work, it's just not displaying the name of the Active Map on my unit.

I am otherwise pleased with the new features, although not all have been put to the test yet.
GPSwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although perhaps slightly off thread with this but I have noticed that on the Main Menu page, one of my Active Routes always appears in the Active Route display at each boot up of the unit. I then select 'No Route Active' in the Routes Menu and it disappears, as expected. However, at the next boot up an Active Route is displayed again. Did this happen in V.1.328? I thought the default was no active route shown until you chose one, but can't remember. No worries if so.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just sent my main map card back for an update,and to include another map, and to correct an error they accidently made to a previous bespoke map, and the toggling option. I think I was wrong on the toggle...I assumed it meant to change from map to map, but I think it's only to change the scale quickly.
On the main menu, active route should be blank unless you've chosen a route. I'll have to check that when I get the card back.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSwalker wrote:
Although perhaps slightly off thread with this but I have noticed that on the Main Menu page, one of my Active Routes always appears in the Active Route display at each boot up of the unit. I then select 'No Route Active' in the Routes Menu and it disappears, as expected. However, at the next boot up an Active Route is displayed again. Did this happen in V.1.328? I thought the default was no active route shown until you chose one, but can't remember. No worries if so.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73483&start=45

I thought this sounded familiar. If you only had one route saved (possibly internal?) then it would default to that route.

I've not checked to see if this is still the case, just created a dummy route.
GPSwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
GPSwalker wrote:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73483&start=45

I thought this sounded familiar. If you only had one route saved (possibly internal?) then it would default to that route.

I've not checked to see if this is still the case, just created a dummy route.

Thanks for this useful tip 4andyNorfolk, and you're spot on. I only had one stored route since doing the upgrade and have now added a second route. I then chose 'no route active' and on reboot there is, no active route displayed on the Main Menu page as I remembered it with v1.3.
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Anybody have a toggleable map yet? Reply with quote

Has anybody had their mapcard "toggled" yet? Care to report on how it actually works?

Does the toggle icon appear when you're in an area where there is more than one map view available (eg 1:50k/1:25k/A-Z)?

Do you have to be in the right "zoom-range" for this to happen or does the Active10 adjust that to suit?

Does the map change when you zoom in as before? (ie from 1:50k to1:25k, but allows toggleable choice too).

Someone must have a toggleable Premium map -c'mon spill the beans!! Wink
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.0 of the User Guide indicates that zoom is still available with a toggleable map, and I think there is a mention somewhere that the 'toggle map' icon shows but is greyed-out if the map is not toggleable. The icon seems to be selectable at any zoom level.

Afraid my tin of beans only extends to the manual at the moment - I'm no winter, foul-weather, walker! Embarassed Razz
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, JICIOI, I asked Satmap about the aerial (Google?) view which is mentioned in their 'Toggle' advert as additional to the map views.

They said they are working on it - the cost (not known yet) will be additional to the toggling price. What I didn't ask was whether it would require another 'Toggle' when it came out, if you had already paid to toggle the map views.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have now got my (early unit) A10 back after a new motherboard and having had my two maps - 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 custom local area - amalgamated onto one SD card, which has also had the "toggleable" function added.

I haven't played hugely with the toggle function but so far I'm fairly but not ecstatically pleased with it. The 1:50,000 will zoom out to about 1:125,000 and in to about 1:7,000 before the screen switches to the 1:25,000 map (this is without toggling) The 1:25,000 will zoom into a reported 1:500 but this is well beyond readable and I can zoom out to about 1:30,000 before it auto-switches to the 1:50,000 (again without toggling).

Within these respective zoom ranges, the toggle function enables switching between the two map types. The degree of zoom doesn't change when toggling, e.g. if I'm at say 1:20,000 zoom on the 1:25,000 map and then toggle to the 1:50,000 map, the zoom stays at 1:20,000. What you don't get - and I have to say this is a disappointment - is the ability to set the 1:50,000 at say, 1: 65,000 for an overview and then toggle back to the 1:25,000 where you left it at say, 1:15,000 - that would have been truely useful to me.

If I'm at say, 1:60,000 on the 1:50,000 map I cannot toggle to the 1:25,000 - it would be useless anyway - but I can toggle to the 1:250,000 Road Map, again at an unchanged degree of zoom.

I may be missing something - as I say I haven't had it very long - but I think Satmap have missed a trick here. The ability to toggle from one map at a zoomed out overview and then switch at the touch of a button to a more detailed map at a zoomed in view would have been great, for example when composing routes on the fly. Of course, it may just not be possible technically to programme the thing to do this, but it would be nice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: