Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 540 and athermic glass
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

540 and athermic glass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IAmCharliemouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: 540 and athermic glass Reply with quote

(First post, many times browser)

Hi. I've had a 540 for 6 months now, and been very happy with it. It never lost signal except in the most extreme conditions (tunnels, etc). It would crash occasionally, but nothing to write home about.

The problem is that I now have a new car with an athermic windscreen. Despite other posts I've read saying this is unlikely to be a problem because of the improved sensitivity of chipsets these days, it's certainly causes my 540 some distress.

It now regularly (every few minutes) loses lock and/or starts drifting around the scenery The gps signal is significantly attenuated.

Obviously an external antenna is out. There is a patch of windscreen at the top that seems to allow signal through, but mounting the 540 there seems a bit impractical.

Any advice?
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Citroen picasso which I believe also has a athermic windscreen, I've never had any problems getting and keeping a signal. Maybe it's worth trying it in another car and see what happens?

TomTom 540
v9.510
Map v905.4754
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or trying the device in a different position within the car.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount it away from the windscreen. I also have athermic.

My 930 is down on my centre console via Brodit mount and I never lose signal.
IAmCharliemouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

I've fiddled with the positioning on the screen. It seems a little better in the middle, and a lot better (near perfect) at the top in the middle where there's a gap in the coating. However, it's not very practical up there!

I think the on-dash option looks best, and from other posts I'm guessing that the Brodit is favourite. I'd prefer to not drill holes in the dash of my new car just yet... Surprised so the ProClip looks good.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word of caution with the Brodit. I bought a Pro Clip for my Mondeo. It slides between various bezels on the dash. In my case it was rather a tight fit and I recently noticed that one of the bezels has developed a crack as a result of the pressure on it from the Pro Clip. I wish I had used the bean bag which we use on my wife's car
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
TonyHall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
I bought a Pro Clip for my Mondeo. It slides between various bezels on the dash. In my case it was rather a tight fit and I recently noticed that one of the bezels has developed a crack as a result of the pressure on it from the Pro Clip.
Hi,

I've just bought an old Mondeo (04 model) and was going to add a Brodit clip or two, where is the clip mounted that's causing problems? I'd like to avoid similar results.

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Tony
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
One word of caution with the Brodit. I bought a Pro Clip for my Mondeo. It slides between various bezels on the dash. In my case it was rather a tight fit and I recently noticed that one of the bezels has developed a crack as a result of the pressure on it from the Pro Clip. I wish I had used the bean bag which we use on my wife's car
Robin

Sorry to hear that but it's the first occasion I've ever heard of a ProClip causing such damage.

I've used them for years in a range of cars and not had a single issue. Which clip was this as I can discuss with Brodit?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: