Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Active 10 Vehicle Mount coming soon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Active 10 Vehicle Mount coming soon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Active 10 Vehicle Mount coming soon Reply with quote

Not seen mention of this before but Satmap are now listing a vehicle mount due in early next month.

Comprising of a Herbert Richter suction mount, adapter plate and new battery cover.

Looks good, and reasonable value at £19.99.

I wonder of the battery plate is the same as the bike mount system?

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The a10 back looks like the bike mount version but from the above picture I cannot see it working with that car bracket, it's almost like two seperate non compatible parts if you look close!

I also wonder if Satmap have a car based Nav application in the pipeline as viewing OS maps isn't much use at speed, although it would be OK off road, a TBT app for the active 10 would be a very interesting move for lovers of the outdoors providing a single device for in car/ mountain bike/ hiking etc - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
from the above picture I cannot see it working with that car bracket, it's almost like two seperate non compatible parts if you look close!

Looks OK to me? My 5yr old drawing shows how I see the two components interfacing:

Quote:
I also wonder if Satmap have a car based Nav application in the pipeline as viewing OS maps isn't much use at speed, although it would be OK off road, a TBT app for the active 10 would be a very interesting move for lovers of the outdoors providing a single device for in car/ mountain bike/ hiking etc - Mike

That is a rather large leap I think. I'm guessing it will just be of use for those who may want to track their route in the large scale map and of course off-roaders and byways etc.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the iPhone for Internet as nothing at home so pictures are a tad difficult and the clarity of the image ain't too hot, but it would be good to get a HR addaptor for the car without needing all the other bits if it uses the bike back, I can see how it would work it's the lack of contrast in the pictures that makes it difficult!
I do remember discussing a TBT app for the device a few years ago with Satmap and it would be a quantum leap if such progress had been made albeit limitted appeal as most GPS users for car based products would be using something else - Call it wishfull thinking - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, car mount would be good, I may order one. As for the TBT app, no sound and very limited address input using the cursor would be big negatives for me. Perhaps a battery door with speaker?
themib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know what the plate part number is that attaches to the arm as I already have that arm!!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themib wrote:
anyone know what the plate part number is that attaches to the arm as I already have that arm!!!

No but it'll be a Satmap specific part.

I too have the mount and if the battery cover is the same as the bike mount, then all I'd need is the adapter plate.

BUT it remains to be seen if Satmap will offer this as a separate part.
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Didn't realise it wasn't in stock. Reply with quote

I ordered the vehicle mount on Wednesday when I saw it appear on the SatMap shop; it didn't say that it wasn't available then!

I hope they're not going to hold back the firmware SD card (I ordered at the same time) until 9th Dec...
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...forget that, it was waiting in a box for me when I got home this morning.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daft one...why would I want my Satmap displayed in the car...(.obviously missed something here) ....to go to a 'Go To' point perhaps, (car park ?)...that would seem a bit long winded to me though.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Daft one...why would I want my Satmap displayed in the car...(.obviously missed something here) ....to go to a 'Go To' point perhaps, (car park ?)...that would seem a bit long winded to me though.

It might be interesting to view your journey on the large scale road map but more likely, it would be of great interest to off-roaders who use OS mapping to navigate green lanes and byways which are legal roads but often over grown and out of the way.

Done quite a bit of that myself in the past using Memory-Map. There are some lanes which are perfectly drivable, a little muddy in places etc but take you through some beautiful country and entirely legal to drive.

But an OS map is essential to ensure you stick to the legal byway.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting...I was always under the impression that any road or track shown on an OS map is no evidence of a right of way ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
That's interesting...I was always under the impression that any road or track shown on an OS map is no evidence of a right of way ?

Indeed it's not a guarantee and the more responsible of us verify the right of way via the definitive map at the local council.

Hants are great in having this data on-line. So all that I do then is transfer the definitive routes onto a paper map or as a track onto a digital map.

Still need a paper or digital OS map though to ensure you are following the track which was my point as to why a vehicle mount is useful Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: