Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 940 Athermic Windscreen - Official Reply
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 940 Athermic Windscreen - Official Reply
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAmCharliemouse wrote:
I'm a bit frustrated by the replies to this thread. Despite what a lot of people have said, there obviously is an issue here, and what the guy at Halfords said certainly does ring true. Shocked

I'm just as frustrated that you choose to believe a Halfords employee who knows sod all about GPS over us who I'd like to think have a better understanding of them, how the technology works, the frequencies, signal paths etc Laughing

The glass IS NOT the factor here. There 'may' be some link with the rain sensing kit perhaps.

Whereabouts are you located, it would help if you could add that to your profile.

It may be that another member is close and we could try some tests.

If it is the rain sensor, where on the windscreen are you placing the TomTom? Center, drivers side?
IAmCharliemouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm just as frustrated that you choose to believe a Halfords employee who knows sod all about GPS over us who I'd like to think have a better understanding of them, how the technology works, the frequencies, signal paths etc Laughing

Firstly, let me say the last thing I want to do is cause offence. There are many on this forum that are obviously very experienced and knowledgeable, and I enjoy using (and abusing Wink ) that knowledge for my own purposes.

My frustration is because I found so many posts saying things like 'modern GPS chipsets are sensitive not to be bothered by these windscreens' or 'it must be your device'.

I can only go with what I have experienced and, to be fair, I have no idea what the knowledge or experience of the guy from Halfords is. What I know is that his words matched what I had seen myself - there is a problem. The fact that other people with new Fords have similar issues is very reassuring!

Here are the results of the few tests I did. I'll give a very rough rating for the signal strength/quality out of 10. They are subjective, based on driving around and keeping/losing lock, and a little on the signal strength screen.

Open sky, away from the car: 10
Old car: 9
Behind the sun visor on the clear patch of the windscreen: 6
Brodit mount in middle of dash: 5
In the middle of the screen, low down: 3
To the right of the screen, low down: 1

Whether the ignition is on or not appears to make no difference.

So, looking at those numbers, I interpret that as 'the further away from the new screen, the better'. But I thought the rain sensor was in the middle, and as I actually got (slightly) better signal in the middle, I didn't think it was involved. But maybe that's just the light sensor, and the rain sensor is somewhere else.

Hope this is useful.

(I'm in Egham, Surrey - I'll sort out my profile later)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment was firmly tongue in cheek and no offence taken, but I do sympathise with your frustrations.

The tests are interesting. As you have surmised, if it were the rain detector then moving it to the far right 'should' improve matters but they don't.

Something appears to be interfering or your GPS is defective and is more sensitive to interference present in all cars.

Is there anything else fitted that is non-standard? Do you have a roofbox or an accessory alarm for example?

If we can for a moment discount the glass as the causal factor here, GPS isn't susceptible to interference in my experience from anything normally fitted to a car but there is always a first.

If it comes to it I could send you my 940 to compare with yours, that would at least confirm or exclude the device as the problem!
Stocky69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Where abouts in Hampshire are you based? I travel down the A34/M3/M23 quite regularly.....normally towards Bournemouth.

If it's any good you could try your 940 against my 920 in a Galaxy with auto wipers/light sensors?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stocky wrote:
Where abouts in Hampshire are you based? I travel down the A34/M3/M23 quite regularly.....normally towards Bournemouth.

Fleet, very close to Junct 4a/M3. Happy to do that if you don't mind the detour?
Quote:
Fortunately I have an external port for an external ariel. Any advice on how this can be routed for a clean installation and is there only one type available?

There may be many 'makes' but they are all much of a muchness. The antenna doesn't have to go outside but the cable is very thin and so it can be routed under door weather seals etc.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my cars are a Galaxy and a Focus (Ghias). I do not believe that either of these has an athermic windscreen but both have a heated windscreen with elements in. I think the sensor for the rain in the Galaxy is at the bottom of the windscreen and for the Focus I believe is where the arm for the rearview mirror attaches to the windscreen. These are optical and should have no effect on GPS. I have no idea where the auto sensor for the lights is, although there is a light sensor in both on forward face of the rear view mirror, but I had assumed that was for dimming the mirror at night.

I have not had any problems with GPS reception with recent models (530 & 940) but I did have problems in the Galaxy with the old silver TomTom bluetooth receiver and I needed a re-transmitter for that and now the receiver is in the glovebox. (I still use it for my mobile as it does not have inbuilt GPS). On the Focus that old receiver will only work on the dash at the far left or right where the screen meets the dash.

However both Go's will work in either car, anywhere, in the back or the hatchback area, so I do not think the windscreen is the major issue with a modern SIRF chipset GPS. These are so sensitive that on a cross channel ferry on the car deck (no doors on the ship at the rear) the unit had tracked all the way across the channel (Tracklog).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: